Author Topic: windscreen damage  (Read 5843 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
windscreen damage
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »
I just noticed i picked up another small pit/chip in zone 'a' of my windscreen to go with the double pit/chip also in zone 'a'.

I hope i dont need another windscreen for the mot, i mean the car is 8 months old and has two lots of chips already.

I think the glass is not as strong as it should be with a car with a small bonnet.

i never had this with my 04 mk7 civic over 60,000 miles

who here has chips on their windscreen or even had their screen replaced ?

thanks
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:04:39 PM by monkeydave »

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX CVT
Re: windscreen damage
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:14:58 PM »
I had my windscreen replaced once due to a crack but currently I`m having 2 small chips on the drivers side but barely visible.

mod: I went today to Autoglass to repair the chips but they told me these are not deep and won`t crack in the next 100 years, so they left it as it is now. They said it won`t fail the MOT. (My MOT booked for 25 Nov.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 05:32:19 PM by DV »

guest907

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:34:25 AM »
I've got several small chips on the screen on my EX, although an appreciable pit when running a nail across it... not quite in the line of sight and no cracks off it. My last EX suffered the same and although I had a windscreen company to look at a bad chip (deep not cracked) they said it didn't warrant a repair.

Perhaps the glass is softer to 'chip' rather than craze when hit which I suppose would happen if the glass was tougher.

Without any crazing or bad chips I'll be rid of the car before MOT anyway.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:21:06 AM »
The windscreen of my previous Jazz got whacked by a stone (thrown up by a passing car on the M5) within a month of me getting it. The crater exceeded the repair threshold http://www.autoglass.co.uk/Windscreen-repair.213.0.html so the windscreen was replaced.

The wedge-shaped nose of the Jazz combined with the very long windscreen / short bonnet does make it vulnerable to this type of damage. There's not much that can be done without worsening the aerodynamics.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest2865

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
................................................................................

I think the glass is not as strong as it should be with a car with a small bonnet.

i never had this with my 04 mk7 civic over 60,000 miles

thanks

Chipping of the glass would hardly be reduced by the glass being 'stronger' - all windscreens are laminated nowadays and chipping is more related to surface hardness than 'strength'.

It could be argued that the Jazz with its heavily raked back windscreen would suffer less from impact damage due to objects generally striking it at a less direct angle.

In 45 years of car ownership I have had 4 broken/chipped/cracked windscreens replaced and in recent years 1 deep chip repaired by resin injection.

It's just your 'Donald Duck'.

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:40:45 PM »

thanks

I have one chip after 65k km, though I had several impacts. I can't remember if I had any impact with my previous car (100k km). But Jazz's hood is a mess.
100+1 HP

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 06:49:31 PM »
I've had one new windscreen and have got one chip in the driver's line of sight.

It's too big to repair but too small to fail the MoT. In the last 2.5 years, three services and two MoTs it has only been picked up twice.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 11:53:59 PM »
I've had one new windscreen and have got one chip in the driver's line of sight.

It's too big to repair but too small to fail the MoT. In the last 2.5 years, three services and two MoTs it has only been picked up twice.

that makes me feel a bit better about my pits dull patch and scratches

how big is your chip and is it in zone 'a' just in front of the steering wheel

thanks for the replys guys

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
It's in the zone but too small to fail the MoT using the coin test.

Tags:

anything