New Honda Jazz - would you buy one?

Yes
64 (82.1%)
No
3 (3.8%)
Maybe
11 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Honda Jazz GE Reviews (LOCKED - please start new topic for each review)  (Read 28274 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Our 2009- Honda Jazz Reviews
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 05:20:07 PM »
Why is everyone so keen on getting rear disc brakes - the extra braking force given by a disc brake is simply wasted on the rear of a car because most of the weight transfers to the front wheels during braking, which supply at least 70% of the braking effort. The braking force on the rear of cars has to be artificially limited anyway to stop rear wheels locking up (ABS and EBD anyone), and the extra problems that come with rear discs (handbrakes slipping, having to fit electrically operated handbrakes which are unreliable etc).  The shoe in normal drum brakes will easily last over 100K and are well protected from weather and don't get brake dust all over your alloys.

Is it just because discs look cool, and make the car appear more expensive?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest684

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 12:02:35 AM »
Hi culzean,

Good points, but...

I understand my Jazz has a facility to adjust brake force depending on the amount of weight being carried by the car.

With weight in the back, presumably the car understands more force can be applied to the brakes for rapid deceleration without danger of skidding as would be experienced in an unburdened car; bearing in mind both this and the fact drums are not great in the wet I'd guess discs are the more consistent/'reliable' option when it comes to braking with a load, particularly in the wet, and therefore must be the safer all-round option?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »
Well I have finally got my hands on a new shape jazz and I must say I have mixed views on this model.

The plastics used are varied to say the least. Overall cheap feeling!

This jazz should of carried on from where the last one left off not gone backwards!

The engine is much better than the previous one. The dash well if that's progress than thats debatable.

I have the ES model one down from the top and the steering wheel feels very cheap.

It looks like they have added some nice features and touches but seem to have forgeten why the previous jazz was so good.

Not so sure whether I would buy one when it comes round to changing, hopefully it would be much improved.

guest1017

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 02:33:47 PM »
I have test driven the ES version of the Jazz on two occasions we liked the car and placed an order, we take delivery on 1st September

Based on the test-drives and the limited miles covered I was impressed.

Particularly liked the versatility of the interior, the rear magic seats worked well, not so sure about the boot space, (current car a shogun so not a good compassion) but will be adequate for our needs.

Despite driving a much higher vehicle do not find myself feeling as if I was sitting on the floor, found the all-round vision very good.

Liked the many places for putting the usually indispensable things we all have in a car.

Not impressed with the no spare wheel idea, instant mobility stuff is ok, but if the hole in the tyre is to big to seal…..or in the tyre wall… will probably pick up a space saver wheel and feel more confident on long runs.

First thing I will be doing, as with the cars we have ever owned will be to remove the rear view micro, dive off and never look back.  :-[

Gittje

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 03:24:47 PM »
Well I have finally got my hands on a new shape jazz and I must say I have mixed views on this model.

Same for me  :(

We bought our first Jazz in january 2002, the 1.4 ES with manual gearshift.  My husband has always been a Honda fan, I became it when driving my first Jazz ...

In August we bought our 2nd Jazz, the 1.2 i Trend ltd edition.  As expected, my husband find the new Jazz a lot better than the previous model, but I have mixed feelings and miss the sporty feel I had when driving the previous Jazz.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 04:48:38 PM »
We just picked up a 1.4 EX in Cerulean Blue, trading in our 2003 1.4SE.

Comparing the cars, I kinda wish we hadn't gone for the EX - it just seems to have many features that aren't really necessary.  The glass roof, climate control and cruise control are all a bit pointless on a city car.  I also think the 16" alloys with quite low profile tyres are prone to damage.  I've discovered that there are very few suppliers of that size tyre (185/55R16) and so they're expensive.  I'm also dismayed about the lack of spare (and we did have cause to use it in our old car), that could also mean having to buy a replacement tyre in a panic, with no chance to shop around.

I think the car rides a little better than our old Jazz but the low profile tyres probably aren't helpful.  I reckon it's still bumpy, but perhaps the bumps are better suppressed than in the old model - they're not being smoothed out by the suspension.  The car does feel much more refined.

On the wind noise issue, there's no noise from the sides of the car, but it does suffer from a buffeting / disturbance which my be related to the glass roof.  It's not intrusive, but quite noticeable.   The engine is very quiet but I quite liked the old iDSI engine and I don't think the iVTEC really suits the Jazz.  The iVTEC does go well though, but as others have pointed out, you need to use higher revs than the iDSI engine to get it pick up.

I know not everyone was a fan, but we did like the old roller blind boot cover - the new setup with clip-on flaps is ridiculous.   The two tier boot is quite bizarre too.

Agree that the interior plastics seem much cheaper - everything a curious mixed of hard or soft to the point of feeling flimsy.

I think the power folding mirrors are a good idea but surely they should auto-fold on locking, or at least with the ignition off?  If you leave the car kerb-side, you need the mirror out to check it's safe to open the door, but then you can't fold it. Not even manually.  Bonkers!

Must say that, overall, I thought our old Jazz was marvellous - it felt very well engineered and like it would last forever, but I don't feel the same way about the new one.

guest684

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
Apologies for being annoying but I am feeling maybe a little smug for holding on to my 'old' Jazz!

guest907

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2009, 02:36:53 AM »
The 1.4 EX I have now is my 4th Jazz. Very pleased with the new car, the interior is so light and airy with the large panoramic roof, shame it doesn't open for fresh air as the previous ones but less cars are having them fitted now. I find the auto lights can come on when its still light so I use that manually but leave the wipers on auto. Whats missing for me (and you may think this bizarre) is the last three models I owned had centre console illumination...2 little lights under the radio panel. I drive long distances and now looking for bits in the console at night means turn the (bright) interior light on and still miss whats tucked up at the front. Only a small point but they could have been fitted in the lower radio panel on the new model.

Averaging 47 round town and 53-56 on a run. Should be better once 'run in'. Overall very pleased.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 02:47:52 PM »
I find the auto lights can come on when its still light so I use that manually but leave the wipers on auto.

If anything, you should do it the other way around.

Auto lights are in case you forget to turn them on, so they're a safety thing.  Think of auto wipers as magic intermittant wipers that detect how much rain there is - but you're not likely to forget to turn your wipers on!

The Honda system is bad, in my opinion, as it doesn't cancel when you switch the car off.  In other cars I've had, auto wipers wouldn't work after a restart until turned off and on again.  Main reason for this is if the screen is iced up the wipers may try to work and damage could occur to the wiper motor, mechanism or the blades themselves.  You can also get random screen wipes, which you don't want on a dry screen.

...2 little lights under the radio panel.

I hadn't noticed that yet, but I'll miss those too.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:50:13 PM by Rory »

guest848

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2009, 09:24:52 PM »
I have just returned from a weeks holiday in the lake district. We were a party of 4 well proportioned adults. The Jazz behaved impeccably. I have had the Jazz since April and this is the first long run. I found on some hills where you were forced to slow down the Jazz took a while to get back into full stride, I found the same situation in my previous car Renault Scenic 1.6 4 speed automatic. I am now getting used to the i-shift and find it performs much better than the renault,a lot nippier through the gears. I covered 548 miles and returned 50 mph, with which I am well pleased. My best return so far has been a 48 mile trip at a steady 50 mph returned 65 mpg. I think those that are critical of the Jazz should take time to learn to drive it and like me would then enjoy it and get the most benefit out of it. Regards to all 
Lol 2339 ;D 

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »
I read the following letter in the larest Civil Service Motoring Club magazine and I thought it would be of interest to i-Shift owners. I know it relates to the Civic but the i-Shift in the Jazz must be similar, if not the same.

“I bought a Honda Civic i-Shift is September 2006 with a ‘56’ plate.  In February this year, a warning light appeared on the dashboard saying ‘check system’. The car was taken to my local Honda dealer, who could find nothing wrong with the car.
This warning light has persisted ever since, and as a last resort I Honda UK. They agreed that the light should not be on and passed the problem onto the Technical Department.
Imagine my horror when Honda UK came back and informed me that they don’t know the cause and as the car is running OK they are washing their hands of the problem.
I feel that the resale value of this car will go down because any potential buyer on seeing the ‘check system’ light will have seconds thoughts of buying.
The dealer told me that this problem is appearing in many 2006 Civics. Has anyone else had this problem and has it been resolved?  It really is a very sad state of affairs when the manufacturer cannot repair its own cars.”

If this problem really is appearing in many 2006 Civics, as reported above, surely someone on this forum would have heard of this and mentioned it before.  Also when this person first had the problem the car was still under its 3 year warranty and surely Honda had an obligation to correct the defect. I get the feeling he has either been ill served by his dealer or hasn’t approached them correctly.  I have found my local dealer most helpful on the few occasions I have had to go there. Currently I am driving a CVT Jazz and my next car will probably be an i-shift, I don’t think this letter will put me off.

Rory

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 12:05:34 PM »
Currently I am driving a CVT Jazz and my next car will probably be an i-shift, I don’t think this letter will put me off.

Well if it doesn't put you off then, from a business point of view, why would Honda bother to fix it?

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 07:32:56 PM »
Good point Rory.

guest928

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2009, 11:58:24 PM »
Hello to everyone,
some of you may remember that I have a high mileage 2002 1.4 se now showing nearly 110,000. Well, because of its excellent reliability my wife has just ordered her new one  (an EX with a sat nav and reverse park sensors). I also commented that the car needed a new EGR valve, this was replaced (£250), a new tyre and two light bulbs plus a service and MOT total: £410. This means that along with two tyres (damaged not worn) the car has cost less than £500 over the past 12 months AND 25,000 miles !!
Some journalists say that the new Fiesta is a better car and that the new Jazz is expensive but you would have to buy a 1.6  (a long term 1.25 Zetec is struggling to do 36mpg !!) to get the same performace and spend close to £15,000 to get the same spec. Going by this year's reliability and JD power survey (1st for the 8th year running)  in What Car, the Jazz would be more reliable.
So judge for yourself which is the better car !!!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »
/\ Only 36mpg from the 1.25? What are these car magazines doing to these cars?!

Tags: