Author Topic: CVT Oil Change Interval  (Read 2087 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
CVT Oil Change Interval
« on: June 30, 2020, 03:59:46 PM »
I am sure that I have asked this question on here before but can't find it.
I know that the specified CVT oil change interval is 25K miles or two years. What is the relevance of the time interval in a gearbox oil change spec ? Engine oil is subject to contamination from combustion by-products which can cause damage to an engine internals even though the mileage is low. A gearbox doesn't suffer from this problem and it is a sealed environment.
I am only doing about 6k miles a year now so I reckon I could safely leave my oil change interval to 18/24K miles and forget the calendar.
Any opinions ?

Vic.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:01:28 PM by VicW »

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Re: CVT Oil Change Interval
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 04:51:11 PM »
Hi,
Save £75 and risk it? Probably not. My 2011 jazz has had its last dealer service, local garage from now on,
Chris

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 05:07:19 PM »
It's a valid question. There's enough experience from the Mk. 1 Jazz to demonstrate that the CVT judder problem is reversible that you could afford to take the risk of increasing the time interval while respecting the distance. Perhaps the prudent approach would be to draw off a little fluid at the three year point and see how it looks. I believe it goes blacker as it accrues more muck (there are photos somewhere comparing new and old fluid). If the fluid is getting dirty then it's time for a change.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »
My 8 year old Jazz has done 54k.
I changed the CVT fluid at 22k miles and then at 40k. Four yearly intervals. The oil before changes was its normal pink colour with no blackening and gearbos behaviour is unchanged after oil changes..

So I ignore the recommend change in years...designed to keep Honda dealers solvent.. (they need every help they can get  but not from me)

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 07:49:03 PM »
I bought my 2004 Cvt Jazz at 91K Miles. The only recorded cvt oil change was at 19K miles. Service stamps are from Non Honda dealer so I’m not sure if a Change was done after 19K. The oil looks very clear and the transmission seems smooth. The only problem I encounter is a vibrating steering and brake pedal when I brake sharply. Halfords indicates that’s due to warped disks and Kwikfit thinks it’s due to a faulty wishbone. I’m waiting to have it seen by a local trusted mechanic but it does not appear to be the transmission. I’ve read about the transmission judder probably on this forum. But I have no problems when pulling off. On the rare occasion that I’ve Had to floor the gas, it can appear to lurch forward after revving up. But that’s so rare that it does not trouble me.
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
I have had juddering through a brake pedal was when a disc was warped,  or it can happen when braking sharply on damp or wet road or loose surfaces due to ABS letting go and re-applying the brakes to stop tyre skidding.  If it is a warped disc it will happen every time the brakes are applied no matter how gently,  if it is ABS it will normally only happen when braking hard ( except on mud or loose gravel / snow - when tyres will try to skid ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 09:11:17 PM »
It's one of those age old problems - the old mileage versus time thing. My first Honda was a 2004 Civic bought from a main dealer (sadly no longer in existence) in Ashton-under-lyme near Manchester. They had an unofficial system for low mileage drivers in that they would do 2 short services and then one full service for owners who did a small mileage. It seemed sensible and suited me although the Civic was a manual.

My understanding is that the service interval for the CVT transmission was bought forward to 2 years or 25,000 miles after problems were noted - usually juddering. I also know of somebody whose juddering problem on a Mk1 CVT was cured by a fluid change - the car was 8 years old.

Call me a cynic but I agree with Vic - a low mileage CVT transmission shouldn't need a change at 2 years. Clearly the old intervals were too long but manufacturers seem fixated on time or distance whichever comes soonest. I go along with that with regard to engine oil changes - low mileage often does mean a heavy toll on the engine - but I am not convinced this applies to other service items.

Tags: