Author Topic: Front passenger window was down all night/unwinded by itself when I unlocked car  (Read 3370 times)

CutieJazzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 - Honda Jazz EX 2022
Hi all, I am a new driver and first time car owner. I have the Jazz 22 EX.

Don’t have a driveway. Car is parked outside house on the street, this time with driver side towards me.

When I locked my car yesterday, it looked fine from the driver’s side. Mirrors folded in etc as usual.

This morning, once again, my mirrors were folded in. I pressed unlock on my keys, they folded out.

I sat in there the driver’s seat getting comfortable, then I noticed the front passenger’s window ONLY was winded all the way down?

I then started freaking out wondering if I had left them all the way down overnight or if my car was tampered with.

I immediately checked my gloveboxes and boot. Everything is still there.

I then checked my Ring doorbell footage. No one was near my car. However there was was one guy that walked past it looking quizzically at the passenger side and I wonder if I had left the window all the way down.

Is this possible? I didn’t even know you could lock your car with one of the windows rolled all the way down? I assumed everything sort of “resets”.

Or… did the one passenger window roll down by itself as I unlocked the car?

Can anyone offer advice as I’m so confused by this whole situation.

I was in a dodgy supermarket car park yesterday so I was feeling a bit paranoid someone might have the signal of my keys or something but it doesn’t seem like anyone was near my car.

I also installed Honda+ app. It’s not working, but I hope that passenger window didn’t roll down because I’ve turned on remote access?

Anyway I would love some clarity on what could have happened here and how I can prevent it in the future.

SouthernExile

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 4 SR Crystal Black (70 Reg)
I don't know what happened in your case, but it is certainly possible to lock the door with one window down - I have done it on my driveway in the past when getting out of the car in hot weather and forgotten the widow was open. After reading your post I have just gone out and tried it again. If you reach inside the open window and open the locked door with the interior handle, the alarm goes off.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Civic e:hev elegance 2024
How did you unlock the car? If you use the key fob, pressing the open button for a second time starts opening all windows. And is your key in a secure position? There was someone on this forum who accidentally pressed the open button because the key was in his pocket.

After pressing the key twice, doors are unlocked and windows open (they do not start all at once but are sequenced). After 1 minute the car will automatically lock itself when the doors have not been touched. This could have happened in the evening or night before.

CutieJazzy

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 - Honda Jazz EX 2022
I don't know what happened in your case, but it is certainly possible to lock the door with one window down - I have done it on my driveway in the past when getting out of the car in hot weather and forgotten the widow was open. After reading your post I have just gone out and tried it again. If you reach inside the open window and open the locked door with the interior handle, the alarm goes off.

First of all, thank you so much for checking for me! That is so kind and I seriously appreciate it!!

I think I must have done the same thing as you and forgotten to wind the the window back up then. Ughhhh I feel so silly.

Thankfully no alarm went off at night so I don’t think anyone tried to tamper or open the car. But now I’m wondering if any animals or insects went in there at night. Might need to do a closer look.

I guess all I can do from now is to double triple check all the windows are closed before getting out my car.  :-[

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
After some early mis-triggers with keys in pocket I now make sure my house key is folder over the buttons when in my pocket

Never had any issues since
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
...The Windows are just about in a sequence but nowhere near one complete window at a time.

It does indeed seem as though it was just left down by mistake.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
I can only recommend reading the drivers manual thoroughly so things are less likely to take you by surprise. Forewarned is forearmed.   Do so for every different car you buy as they do not always behave the same way. 
 You will probably find it has  lots of other clever tricks that you knew nothing about. and may find useful  ;D
You probably wont learn it all.  I still find things i didnt  know, (or forgotten ) even on a car I had owned for over 10 years :-[

If you dont have  a paper manual  you can download a free pdf copy from Honda.  In some ways this is better than a paper one as its searchable. 

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_90f/file.res/2021%20Jazz%20Owner%60s%20Manual.pdf

Its a bit daunting as its 681 pages long  but its worth the effort.  You will find there are big chunks you can skip over, but other parts you may need to read more than once.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 07:09:35 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
I completely agree,  and in fact I am going to do just that, despite occasionally checking, but recently accidentally finding out items I was not aware of.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
Before I picked mine up I went through the online manual and noted all the page numbers of things I needed to check or change.

Made the initial setup a lot quicker

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
How did you unlock the car? If you use the key fob, pressing the open button for a second time starts opening all windows. And is your key in a secure position? There was someone on this forum who accidentally pressed the open button because the key was in his pocket.
I think you need to hold down the open button for several seconds after the initial press to open in order to get the windows to go down.

Further, I recall that there's the facility to lock the vehicle and then hold the lock button for several seconds to ensure that all windows are closed. Also, a short second push on the lock button activates the dead locking which prevents the doors being opened from the inside.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
I think this illustrates there is a learning curve even with  just the  'simple' use of the car keys .  One button press? two presses? both at once? none at all? Double locking , disabling key, changing battery?. Beeping if you leave the keys in the car?  Remote unlocking and windows using  key buttons or apps? 

So many variations  that i dont use, and may have forgotten about. :-[   Am I the only one?       Its a bit like on a computer - various alternative ways,shortcuts etc. I often only know one method  - and not always even that.   

My normal practice is to  visually check the windows are up , and lock and unlock  the car just by touching the door handles -then visually checking the mirrors have folded in. Then put the key  into a faraday pouch . (but not too soon as the car wont lock/unlock itself   :-[  )    I do sometimes press the lock or unlock button on the key rather than touch the door sensors.  A bit old fashioned maybe.

Its not just the Jazz.  Most recent cars have similar complexities.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
I don't understand why they changed the unlock strategy.

On my Civics, one press only unlocked the drivers door, 2 presses unlocked all doors. It's all doors now so when stuck in an urban jam anyone can open any door from outside.

Expatman

• Approved Member
Can’t you program it to lock the doors as speed exceeds 10MPH? A real safety feature in our lawless times.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
Not any more

You could on the 2006 Civic but they stopped it for the 2007 model and all models since.

At the time I read something about a fire service request.

I've read numerous reports of thieves opening the tailgate at traffic lights, then getting in and driving off when you get out to close it and leave the engine running.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
I thought you could use the master lock switch on the drivers door to prevent the doors and tailgate being opened  from the outside by intruders when stopped in traffic .(Page 177 of the on line manual ) .Or is this a thing of the past and I am reading more into it than it actually says. 

Unwanted intruders normally get in at 0mph. Not sure how auto locking at 10 mph would help. Or any system  that would help if you get out while leaving the engine running that wouldnt also stop you getting back in yourself. 

Tags: