Author Topic: Crosstar tires again- Honda Norway says 195/55R16 is OK on 2024 Crosstar  (Read 1561 times)

Bjorn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
I I told the dealer I needed to drive with spiked tires in the winter and as it impossible to find premium spiked tires in 185/60R16

I asked him if 195/55R16 is approved. He said, that according to Honda Norway, driving with these tires was completely OK, but needed an un-original 16 inch rims. In fact, here in Norway you can order these un-original rims with 195/55R16 tires directly from Honda Norway when you order the car. Don’t know why original R16 rims can’t be used, but really don’t care about that.

I am playing it safe here, order the car and rim/tires together. Here in Norway we have 5 years /100 000 km warranty on a new car. I also paid for a 5 years service deal. Doing it this way they can't come back later and say "But you drive on non-approved tires” if anything happen

Of course, here on the forum I have seen people driving on this rim/tire combo and saying it’s no problems. In fact, when searching for tire/rims on may dealers here, they even offer a rim/tire combo for Crosstar in dimension 205/50R17
I will report back my experiences when I put these tires on in November

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
Re: Crosstar tires again- Honda Norway says 195/55R16 is OK on 2024 Crosstar
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 04:14:00 PM »
Also my local dealer suggested 195/55R16 as the winter tire size, because no one makes good snow tires in the original Crosstar size 185/60R16.

The dealer also said that only 16" wheels will fit the Crosstar, but I couldn't believe him. Then I visited a few local tire shops and two of them tried on a 15" wheel on my Crosstar and it looked like it fits fine. There was still 1-2 cm of space between brake caliper, suspension components and the 15" wheel. So I decided to buy 15" winter wheels.

The shops suggested 185/65R15 as the size for the snow tires. It has taller sidewall, so it should offer more cushion against potholes and bumps. It also has slightly smaller outside diameter than the Crosstar original tire, so it fits easily in the wheel well, but it will also lower ground clearance and make speedometer error 1 km/h worse. I'd like more ground clearance, and less speedometer error, which is why after wearing out these snow tires I might try one size larger 195/65R15 tires.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 10:59:21 AM »
Could we do similar here in UK, or might there be insurance issues?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 04:04:40 PM »
Could we do similar here in UK, or might there be insurance issues?
A number of British Insurance underwriters  have made a commitment that they will not object or increase premiums if you fit winter tyres.  For some you dont even need to inform them, for some you,you do.  IIRC one or two  make other conditions such as not increasing to a larger tyre size. 

There is a link to the list on this web site  . 
https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/choosing-the-right-insurance/motor-insurance/winter-tyres/
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Tags:

anything