Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201269 times)

Lewo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »
Just done the first fill to click of pump tankful and was surprised that it worked out to 47mpg and 319 miles. That's driving around 12 miles with the low fuel light on.
Not that many motorway miles in that either and that was with Shell fuel, guessing it will be slightly less with supermarket fuel.
Happy though. :)

guest7205

« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
43.7 over the last 6000 miles measured tank to tank. Usually about 45-46 according to the dashboard. Mixed driving. On a long run (I've done Sheffield to Durham and back today) taking it steady I'll see 53 on the dash, which I reckon translates to about 51 in real life.

Highly recommend fuelly.com if you like that sort of thing!

http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/jazz/2004/tonedepear/699052

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »
After filling up on Friday I went for an 85 mile run, yesterday. It was a mixture of town, country and motorway miles, and my ScanGauge returned 54.4 mpg for the day. The dashboard display for the tank had a way too optimistic 62 mpg, but I know that over the tankful that will peg back and arrive at a fairly accurate figure.
I am disappointing by my mpg at present, and a check of the wheel centres on my return yesterday showed the driver front a little warmer than the others (the rest were stone cold). I have set remedial action in progress.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2018, 11:34:19 AM »
Pesky brakes!  ;)

120 mile trip round trip yesterday, with a few miles of town driving at the other end. Fibometer reset at the beginning and reporting 62mpg on arrival and 59.5mpg on return.

Currently averaging around 48mpg locally, but still haven't got round to doing that service yet... been occupied with rather more important matters.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »
After filling up on Friday I went for an 85 mile run, yesterday. It was a mixture of town, country and motorway miles, and my ScanGauge returned 54.4 mpg for the day. The dashboard display for the tank had a way too optimistic 62 mpg, but I know that over the tankful that will peg back and arrive at a fairly accurate figure.
I am disappointing by my mpg at present, and a check of the wheel centres on my return yesterday showed the driver front a little warmer than the others (the rest were stone cold). I have set remedial action in progress.
Had my brakes checked, and they were not sticking in the slightest. Today I did a 100 mile trip, in warm sunny weather. Immediately on my return I pulled the wheel trims and all 4 wheels were stone cold.
Crisis over!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »
I think most people would be very happy with your mpg Jocko, especially on a 12 year old car. As a ball park you are over 12 miles per gallon ahead of me and I do try to drive carefully. It's my very short journeys that kills my mpg. I've noticed that there is a huge difference between 2 miles and, say, 4 miles, in mpg terms. Been looking at this using trip B.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2018, 06:47:53 PM »
I cannot complain, really. It certainly beats the 29.8 mpg that my Volvo S40 returned, during my ownership.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2018, 05:41:54 PM »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2018, 07:19:48 AM »
A very much improved figure this top up. Brim to brim, 412 miles and 56.4 mpg. (Fibometer said 57.2 so not too far off) What was pleasant was I only had one top up during April, instead of the usual two a month. More down to when April's fell (mid month) as it is more a case of 23 per year than two per month.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »
What a huge difference the warm weather makes to mpg. Today it is a dry and sunny 17 °C. I have done three short, cold start trips, all of them in town. According to my ScanGauge, for the 10.7 mile total, at an average speed of 15.8 mph, I have achieved 53.9 mpg. A week or so ago I was struggling to get near that on a long, gentle, run. Long may Summer (Spring?) continue!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2018, 01:42:48 PM »
Another warm, dry day and I had my usual, two up, weekend  trip to visit my mother-in-law, south of Edinburgh. It is about 60% motorway/dual carriageway, the rest a mix of town and country driving. The roads were busy, but apart from a couple of slow moving queues mostly the traffic was moving steadily. I gathered my ScanGauge E data for the day, and was pleased with the results.

Average mpg: 59.0 mpg
Max coolant temp: 84°C
Distance travelled: 83.0 miles
Maximum revs: 4055 rpm
Max speed: 61 mph
Average speed: 37 mph

Considering most of my driving was at around 55-60 mph it is surprising how much the average is pulled down.
Country and town driving gives the best scope for improving your fuel efficiency. On the motorway most people get what they get. I don't like motorway driving, for that very reason.
I am doing no coasting, all in gear driving, making best use of DFCO and "a raw egg under the accelerator". I am being particularly brisk in accelerating up through the gears (over 4000 rpm is unusual for me!).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2018, 04:46:34 PM »
Today, as well as my usual taking my wife to her work, and picking her up after, we also had a trip into Edinburgh city centre. Most of the centre of Edinburgh is 20 mph now (very strictly enforced), which is just as well, seeing how many ancient cobbles I had to traverse today. Here is my data from my ScanGauge E:

Average mpg: 64.4 mpg
Max coolant temp: 84°C
Distance travelled: 61.3 miles
Maximum revs: 4158 rpm
Max speed: 58 mph
Average speed: 29 mph

Very pleased with that. I am now back to adding a little coasting in, where appropriate, and the warm dry weather is making a huge difference, though Fife is plagued with the early morning haar during weather like this.

Some of the cobbles on today's route.

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
Average mpg: 64.4 mpg

Impressive.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2018, 06:25:45 PM »
The average speed says it all. Driving that slowly, in city driving, using anticipation to avoid braking where possible and switching ignition off at known long lights, makes a huge difference.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »
Today my usual weekend trip was in warm still conditions, and according to My ScanGauge E, I averaged 67.1 mpg. And this was despite about 3 miles of 1st gear, stop start driving, due to a breakdown on the City Bypass. I am doing a bit of engine on coasting, when circumstances permit, and find that the car coasts great in this warm weather.

Tags: