Author Topic: Honda Jazz jerking and not accelerating well  (Read 5590 times)

onurm

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2005 1.4 SE Sport
Honda Jazz jerking and not accelerating well
« on: June 17, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »
Hi,

I own a Honda Jazz 2005 SE Sport automatic with around 54k miles.

I have been having a problem with my car jerking which seems to happen when switching gears. However, this doesn't happen all the time so I am not sure if it is the gearbox or not.
Also, when I push my foot on the gas and try to accelerate at around 4000-4500 rpm, my car can't pass 45-50mph and there is the sound of the throttle just staying open. After letting go of the accelerator there is a whining type noise. However, at 3000rpm the car drives fine and can easily go above 50mph.
I feel that my car is struggling to push itself even when at lower speeds it is taking a longer time to accelerate.

I had all 8 spark plugs changed, MAP sensor changed, and EGR valve cleaned but no difference made. No codes come up when car has had a diagnostic at a garage. Is it worth bringing it to Honda?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Honda Jazz jerking and not accelerating well
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 06:11:29 PM »
Have you drained, flushed and refilled the CVT oil?

onurm

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 06:23:35 PM »
Have you drained, flushed and refilled the CVT oil?

Yep had that done

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 07:21:56 PM »
Was the correct CVT oil used?  It must be the specified Honda CVT oil called CVT-F although the name may have changed recently.

Vic.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 09:00:45 AM »
May help if you let the forum know what changed/happened just before your Jazz had these symptoms.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 09:49:51 AM »
Sounds like:
blocked catalyst/exhaust.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »
The auto box makes the issue harder to find - will the engine rev freely in park ?  CAT converters can collapse inside if they get petrol or oil in there,  or even if they get heavily coated from too many short journeys it can make them run too hot and the matrix collapses. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

onurm

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 10:03:53 AM »
Was the correct CVT oil used?  It must be the specified Honda CVT oil called CVT-F although the name may have changed recently.

Vic.

Yep the correct one was used

onurm

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 10:05:23 AM »
May help if you let the forum know what changed/happened just before your Jazz had these symptoms.

I bought petrol from Asda once and it seemed to start getting worse after that. I used Redex twice and super unleaded as well but didn’t make much of a difference.

onurm

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 10:06:57 AM »
The auto box makes the issue harder to find - will the engine rev freely in park ?  CAT converters can collapse inside if they get petrol or oil in there,  or even if they get heavily coated from too many short journeys it can make them run too hot and the matrix collapses.

Yeah it revs freely when in park so I’m not sure where the problem could be. There’s no black smoke from the exhaust or funny smell

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 10:48:43 AM »
I bought petrol from Asda once and it seemed to start getting worse after that.
Probably coincidence. Big supermarkets have such a massive turn over that bad fuel is extremely unlikely. Small country stations are the ones that have most issues.
I would have expected an engine-related problem to bring on the Malfunction lamp and developed an error code of some sort. I still think it is a transmission-related problem.

onurm

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 11:51:06 AM »
I bought petrol from Asda once and it seemed to start getting worse after that.
Probably coincidence. Big supermarkets have such a massive turn over that bad fuel is extremely unlikely. Small country stations are the ones that have most issues.
I would have expected an engine-related problem to bring on the Malfunction lamp and developed an error code of some sort. I still think it is a transmission-related problem.

That is what I am thinking as well. Would you suggest a  diagnostic at Honda to help locate the problem? 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
Might be cheaper with a good independent but if the car is good otherwise, might be a good idea.

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 12:56:31 PM »
Could it be the rear banks of ignition coils failing it's quite common on Jazz's of that age regardless of mileage covered and sometimes does not show up as a fault codes at all. It happened to both of my cvt Jazzes one at approx 55k the other at 75k. After replacing all 4 rear coils on both cars respectively jerking (it was intermittent) disappeared completely. The CVT gearbox is pretty trouble free with the exception of judder on take off which normally can be eliminated with a gearbox oil change/flush and a shot of XADO 120

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 02:16:45 PM by Jocko »

Tags:

anything