Author Topic: Place for cheap rear caliper?  (Read 3081 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Place for cheap rear caliper?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 07:55:02 PM »
Presumably I need a new banjo screw and copper washer set. Are these a standard size for all brake calipers or do I need to find a particular size?

The bolt will be fine, you won't need to replace it. Length is pretty standard for most car caliper banjos, and it's a standard M10x1 brake union thread.

You can replace the washers or anneal the old ones - annealing softens them so they seal onto a new surface. Heat them up with a blowtorch (or over a gas hob) until the surface dulls and starts to change colour, then cool. People get worked up about whether you should cool slowly, or drop in water to quench, but it doesn't make much odds with copper. Quenching in water stops them oxidising.

I had some new ones, but I reused the old ones when I swapped the front calipers.

New copper washers are about £3-odd for 10 on ebay, or cheaper loose from a motor factor. This sort of thing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-M10-Banjo-bolt-brake-caliper-hose-copper-crush-washers-CWM10-10/332295405497

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 07:57:55 PM »
M10 the right size for the Jazz?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 08:05:50 PM »
M10 the right size for the Jazz?

Most, if not all, modern small-medium cars are M10x1 brake unions and fittings.

You will probably find some cheaper on ebay, I think the the originals are 1.25mm thick and 14mm OD, but it's not that critical.

Here you are, you can get genuine Honda ones for 5 quid each!  :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Honda-Brake-Hose-Bolt-Gasket-46472-568-000/274340944947
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 08:13:20 PM by sparky Paul »

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 01:13:07 PM »
I still haven't had a reply from the original seller.

However I contacted another seller on eBay asking them for the correct part, I specifically said it was to connect to the caliper. Guess what? They sent me a link to another hose that looks exactly the same as above.

Is it at all possible that this is indeed the correct hose, and the car maybe uses some sort of adapter at the caliper to connect a female screw end to a Banjo screw that goes in the caliper?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 03:31:24 PM »
Is it at all possible that this is indeed the correct hose, and the car maybe uses some sort of adapter at the caliper to connect a female screw end to a Banjo screw that goes in the caliper?

I know the front calipers are on banjo fittings, I've changed both... not really took any notice how the back ones are connected, but all the drawings I've seen shows a banjo fitting. All the used calipers on ebay where the pipe has been cut have banjo fittings.

I've looked through the brake pipe listings on ebay, and it does look a mess. I can't find any that look like an outer for mark 1, but strangely they are there for the mark 2.

Blueprint list ADH253169 for the right-rear-outer, which is the picture I attached earlier.

I have attached the Honda drawing for the brakelines, from here

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/partscatalog/catalog/listing/catalog/hondacars/modelid/20558/block/17SAA601/blockref/B__2513/

...the part you need is number 3 on the drawing, Honda part no. 01466-SAA-J51 - which shows a banjo fitting.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 07:45:55 PM »
Cannot think of a single reason why front and rear brake pipe connections would be different when banjo is a tried and trusted system and car makers always striving for standardisation of parts to keep inventory and costs down.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2020, 11:25:40 AM »
I've gone round in circles with the seller. It's almost comical. Despite me sending them a link to the diagram above and explanation about the connector for the caliper they just dismiss me. They simply say it's the right hose because their 'data confirms it is the correct one'.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2020, 12:05:44 PM »

Blueprint list ADH253169 for the right-rear-outer, which is the picture I attached earlier.

This appears to be the correct part but seems to be out of stock everywhere (can you find a link?)
But if you use this part number for a search you come back with the original inner hose. It seems there's some sort of catalog/database error relating to this part?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 12:42:46 PM »
Take the old one into your local Motor Factor.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2020, 02:00:51 PM »
Take the old one into your local Motor Factor.

Ideally I want to swap the parts straight out. I don't want to remove a hose, leave it clamped up somehow and then go about trying to find a replacement with the car up on jackstands and unusable for an indeterminate amount of time.

It shouldn't be this hard to get a replacement caliper hose -but apparently it is. If the computer says it's the right part then I must be wrong. That's basically the repeated message I keep getting.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2020, 02:12:32 PM »
If it is still on the car just undo it, fir the calliper and fasten it back up. You can tell if it is a banjo fitting if you have the calliper. If it has a polished surface around the threaded hole it is a banjo. If rough cast, then it isn't.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2020, 03:33:45 PM »
I've gone round in circles with the seller. It's almost comical. Despite me sending them a link to the diagram above and explanation about the connector for the caliper they just dismiss me. They simply say it's the right hose because their 'data confirms it is the correct one'.

Is it a Delphi hose that you received?

Just looked on http://delphicat.com, they only list two rear hoses for the mk 1, LH6492 and LH6493. Both are inners, they don't list an outer hose.

Blueprint list four rear hoses, two inner (female-female), and two outer hoses (female-banjo), click on the 'Application Restrictions' under the images for fitment.

https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.com/en/search/make/Honda/model/Jazz%20II%202002%20-%202008/vehicle/Jazz%20(GD1)%201.4/article-group/Braking%20System/sub-group/Hydraulic%20System?sortby=rel&sortdir=asc&f=31

Also Borg & Beck https://webcat.firstline.co.uk/AppSearch/borgbeck/3669/Brake%20Hoses/?vrmEngineCode=&vrmVin=

At the end of the day, if the seller doesn't want to play ball, you can simply click on 'Return this item', select 'Wrong item sent' and choose a refund. You should get a pre-paid postage label to return it.

This appears to be the correct part but seems to be out of stock everywhere (can you find a link?)
But if you use this part number for a search you come back with the original inner hose. It seems there's some sort of catalog/database error relating to this part?

Yes, I saw the same problem searching for it, the whole thing's a mess.

I can't find any other suppliers with stock with stock of the Blueprint part either. It's similar to the mk 2 hose you can get on ebay for less than £8, same fittings but they are 3 inch shorter according to Borg & Beck webcat, so no good.

The part no. for Borg & Beck is BBH7757, but out of stock everywhere I looked, just the same.

To be honest, I would be very surprised if you needed one. I like to have one to hand if the coupling is the usual male thread on the hose into the caliper, just because you can sometimes find the ferrules and nut badly corroded, but there should be nothing wrong with a banjo. I wouldn't be surprised if low demand is the reason why many aftermarket brands don't even list them.

BTW, I looked at the rear calipers on our 2008 this morning, definitely banjos.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 03:40:41 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »
I doubt many people who replace a caliper bother to replace the hose if it is not obviously split or leaking.  As long as it unscrewed OK and banjo and bolt thread not damaged  - as others have said just fit new washers ( or anneal old ones and give sealing faces a bit of a polish on wet and dry to remove any scale ). 

It is shocking sometimes when people see how corroded things can get under a car, but they are designed for the conditions and expected to rust.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 03:50:54 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2020, 05:52:44 PM »
I doubt many people who replace a caliper bother to replace the hose if it is not obviously split or leaking

Agree - if it's not broke, don't mend it.

I would be surprised if the OP will has any bother with the banjo fitting, if the hose is otherwise in good shape. As both ends of the thread are sealed inside the hydraulic fluid, they rarely give trouble.

The only ones that get in a state are the male nipple ended hoses, I have replaced a few which were so corroded, the flats were gone.

Darryl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2020, 02:41:53 PM »
I doubt many people who replace a caliper bother to replace the hose if it is not obviously split or leaking.  As long as it unscrewed OK and banjo and bolt thread not damaged  - as others have said just fit new washers ( or anneal old ones and give sealing faces a bit of a polish on wet and dry to remove any scale ). 

It is shocking sometimes when people see how corroded things can get under a car, but they are designed for the conditions and expected to rust.

I fitted a new F/O caliper to our 2005 Jazz about 2 months ago.

As you say, the only thing I did was to fit 2 new washers onto the existing Banjo fitting.

Bled it off, no leaks and for £35 delivered I had a new caliper .

To my mind it wasn't worth fitting an overhaul kit at that price. :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 07:08:12 AM by Darryl »

Tags:

anything