Author Topic: Jazz Mk1 Known issues to look out for?  (Read 5389 times)

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
Re: Jazz Mk1 Known issues to look out for?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 02:04:05 PM »
You can see it on the bumper 2003:

2006:
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 03:47:32 PM »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2020, 09:07:10 PM »
Does anyone know if the Mk1 ever got a facelift during it's run?
Some websites imply that a facelifted model was released in around 2005 but I can't actually find concrete evidence of this anywhere

2004. Main things are revised bumpers, headlights, mirrors. Also revisions to front suspension, different ARB drop links, possibly some other minor changes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:10:10 PM by sparky Paul »

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2020, 10:05:04 PM »
I think they also changed to bigger brake discs on the front and the rear went from drums to discs.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2020, 09:06:15 AM »
Chaps tell me up straight about the CVT auto in the GD in terms of maintenance and reliability?

Some guys say they are bulletproof, just a fluid change every so often and you are good to go. Others say they will eventually need attention and especially after 15 odd years and it's a nightmare in terms of cost to repair.

It would be nice to only have 2 pedals to push  :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 11:18:56 AM by Jazzmeister »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »
I think they also changed to bigger brake discs on the front and the rear went from drums to discs.
This might be different in South-African models though.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »
After 25 years of driving manual transmission cars, I went over to the dark side and had 25 years of owning and driving automatics. I loved them (conventional automatics with 3, 4 and 5 ratios and torque converters, not CVT). I swore I would never drive anything else. But I did. I bought the Jazz manual, and as far as transmission goes, it is the worst mistake I ever made. All this clutch up, clutch down, clutch up, clutch down in traffic is a nightmare for someone used to an automatic.
I then decided to try the Jazz automatic with a view to changing my car. I tried the CVT and hated it. It was too noisy and fussy for me. What I am getting at is try one before you start considering the reliability and such. You may like it as many owners do, or you may hate it as I and many others do.
I don't know when the change was made, but earlier auto Jazzes had a started clutch, which like the clutch on a manual, can need replacing. The later models went over to a torque converter.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2020, 05:53:21 PM »
After 25 years of driving manual transmission cars, I went over to the dark side and had 25 years of owning and driving automatics. I loved them (conventional automatics with 3, 4 and 5 ratios and torque converters, not CVT). I swore I would never drive anything else. But I did. I bought the Jazz manual, and as far as transmission goes, it is the worst mistake I ever made. All this clutch up, clutch down, clutch up, clutch down in traffic is a nightmare for someone used to an automatic.
I then decided to try the Jazz automatic with a view to changing my car. I tried the CVT and hated it. It was too noisy and fussy for me. What I am getting at is try one before you start considering the reliability and such. You may like it as many owners do, or you may hate it as I and many others do.
I don't know when the change was made, but earlier auto Jazzes had a started clutch, which like the clutch on a manual, can need replacing. The later models went over to a torque converter.
Thanks Jocko, those are some good points, I think the GD Jazz cvt had the starter clutch, here's a thread discussing it:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6661.0

I drove a GD auto the other day, the vehicle had seen a hard life but the experience was enough to see that I'd be happy with one, which is why I'm now mulling on the ownership costs.

One thing I did notice, as with most small engined autos, is over taking at highway speeds may be a bit dody, you can't just gun it hard like you can with the manual, you have to floor it and pray  :D

seasidesoulish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Jazz 1.4 CVT-7
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2020, 03:44:07 PM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but make sure you check the spare wheel well for water inside... Mine had a lake in it which smelled pretty bad!  I found it a week or so after purchase.  The roof drain channels are sealed with seam sealer that can crack & allow water in.  I resealed mine & no more problem.

Battery can drain over time if you only do short journeys.  The charging system monitors load but not battery state & fails to keep the battery charged properly.
Solution is keep headlights on all the time or do regular longer trips.

The suspension is pretty crashy on rough surfaces.

Also, I love the CVT... It's really relaxing to drive if, like me, you want to cruise.  Mine has the manual mode option too but I never use it.

I have the start clutch judder, I fixed it once with a fluid flush but after i had to replace the engine due to a blown head gasket & it came back.  I've yet to flush it again, I just accelerate gently & it's not a problem.

By the way, I'm probably the only jazz owner that's had a head gasket blow.  No-one would believe me until I got it sniff tested.  They all said they'd never heard of it on a Jazz.
I think the previous owner had let the coolant run dry & hadn't noticed the overheat light.  They'd put some stop leak in & sold it to me.
I found a leak on the water pump which probably caused it.

Great, reliable cars normally.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2020, 04:18:45 PM »
Thanks Seasidesoulish, I've driven a few CVT's now and I can see why people may not like them at high revs because they are quite noisy but as you mentioned just cruising they are great. From the people I have spoken to they seem to be very reliable as long as you change the oil regularly and don't drive them overly hard.

Apparently this stuff works great for the CVT shudder and very easy to put in through the dipstick:
https://www.amazon.com/XADO-Automatic-Tiptronic-Transmissions-Revitalizant/dp/B00KGB3DH0/ref=sr_1_2?

seasidesoulish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Jazz 1.4 CVT-7
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2020, 05:03:43 PM »
Thanks Seasidesoulish, I've driven a few CVT's now and I can see why people may not like them at high revs because they are quite noisy but as you mentioned just cruising they are great. From the people I have spoken to they seem to be very reliable as long as you change the oil regularly and don't drive them overly hard.

Apparently this stuff works great for the CVT shudder and very easy to put in through the dipstick:
https://www.amazon.com/XADO-Automatic-Tiptronic-Transmissions-Revitalizant/dp/B00KGB3DH0/ref=sr_1_2?

Very true.

I've tried the additive.  It worked for a while but I thought I'd try the flush next as a more permanent solution which worked well until the engine replacement.  I suppose that dislodged some material that attached itself to the start clutch.  I've got new fluid, just not had time to do the job.  Driving gently works for now 😊

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2020, 08:37:05 AM »
The model your after is 15 years old when buying any vehicle of this age its all about condition.
If you like the way it drives  then  get it

Tags: