Author Topic: Very very strange clicking / ticking noise  (Read 11306 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Very very strange clicking / ticking noise
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 07:31:57 PM »
It shouldn't pink on 99 RON.

Sorry to ask the same question as Culzean again, but when you had it serviced, are you certain all 8 spark plugs were replaced? Even main dealers have been known to 'forget' to do the rearmost 4 plugs.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »
Even main dealers have been known to 'forget' to do the rearmost 4 plugs.
Most independent garages don't even know they are there!

h.e.mujtaba

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006 - CVT
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 09:37:13 PM »
Yes i am quite certain as i myself provided all spark plugs

h.e.mujtaba

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006 - CVT
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 11:11:39 AM »
Can any one please guide how to resolve pinking? 99 octane fuel and additives have not worked well.

Thanks

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »
You need to determine what your noise is, have a listen to some examples on youtube. The options discussed previously would seem to be the best fit for your symptoms, but without actually hearing it, it's not easy to say with any confidence.

If you are sure it is pinking, it might be worth getting a live data diagnostic done while the engine is cold, to see what exactly is going on.

Just to add, if it is pinking, it should be noticeably worse on 95 RON unleaded.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »
The Jazz has a knock sensor that adjusts the ignition timing to prevent pinking. A faulty sensor could cause a problem but I would have thought that would bring on the engine management warning light.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »
I have the exact same sound, exactly as you describe. My engine is aprox 80K miles.

The sound is fairly subtle, and if you're not listening or mechanically aware I'm sure most general owners wouldn't even pick up on it as a fault.

The only difference is I haven't noticed it starting when the engine cold light goes off. I've just been aware the car does it for a while until everything is well warmed up and goes away.

My thoughts have been the tappets/valves need adjusting. There are a lot of old posts on this topic and a lot of mixed opinions about it, ranging from they are essential maintenance that should be performed to keep the engine running properly, through to they never really need adjusted for the life of the car and you're more likely to introduce problems disturbing the engine gasket seal. Honda do however list it as a service item (I can't remember the mileage interval).

I have also completed regular servicing including all 8 spark plugs and fuel cleaner additives without any effect.

So far I've just left it. I will keep following this thread..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:43:32 PM by bus_ter »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 03:08:42 PM »
My thoughts have been the tappets/valves need adjusting. There are a lot of old posts on this topic and a lot of mixed opinions about it, ranging from they are essential maintenance that should be performed to keep the engine running properly, through to they never really need adjusted for the life of the car and you're more likely to introduce problems disturbing the engine gasket seal. Honda do however list it as a service item (I can't remember the mileage interval).

The original tappet check / adjust was every 25,000 miles and Honda used to charge over £300 for it.  All our MK1's did over 90,000 and one did 120,000 without even having the tappets checked, let alone adjusted ( my first Civic did 190,000 without a spanner on the engine except cam belt change every 60,000 ).  I think because the cam and tappet arrangement on 8 valve i-DSI engine was so different to anything Honda had done before they played it safe and specified 25,000 mile intervals.  In any case I think a noisy tappet is a happy tappet, a few fractions of a mm less valve lift is hardly going to affect performance,  it is when gap closes up and they go too quiet they can stop valves closing properly that valves get burnt out - which is a much bigger problem than a bit of noise.

The fuel injector solenoids can emit quite a loud ticking noise,  easily audible with bonnet open but if you have good ears maybe inside car as well - the rest of the engine is normally so quite I tried to start the engine when it was already running a few times when I first had a Jazz,  soon learned to look at rev counter rather than rely on engine noise to see if it was running.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:12:14 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2019, 04:18:53 PM »
I tried to start the engine when it was already running a few times when I first had a Jazz,  soon learned to look at rev counter rather than rely on engine noise to see if it was running.
Done that now and again myself. It is a remarkably quiet engine, considering there is not a lot of sound deadening in the cabin.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 12:38:27 AM »
I tried to start the engine when it was already running a few times when I first had a Jazz,  soon learned to look at rev counter rather than rely on engine noise to see if it was running.
Done that now and again myself. It is a remarkably quiet engine, considering there is not a lot of sound deadening in the cabin.

Did it today. Coasted to a mini roundabout, forget to change down, went to pull away, thought the engine had stalled but in fact it was still turning over. Pleased to say it is a rare occurrence but I do get caught out every now and then if I am not paying close attention.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:37:34 PM by MartinJG »

bus_ter

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 04:16:43 AM »
I have the exact same sound, exactly as you describe. My engine is aprox 80K miles.

The only difference is I haven't noticed it starting when the engine cold light goes off. I've just been aware the car does it for a while until everything is well warmed up and goes away.

I listened out for my noise. It starts from the moment the engine is first started until it's well warmed up (maybe 5-10 minutes after the light goes off). Nothing happens around the point the (I assume water temperature) light turns off.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 06:52:24 AM »
I listened out for my noise. It starts from the moment the engine is first started until it's well warmed up (maybe 5-10 minutes after the light goes off). Nothing happens around the point the (I assume water temperature) light turns off.
Mine does exactly the same. Until the engine warms up and the tappets go quiet, as their clearances reach operating values.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »
Jocko do you see any benefit/reason to check and adjust the tappets as they're performing on our cars?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 08:11:38 PM »
Jocko do you see any benefit/reason to check and adjust the tappets as they're performing on our cars?

IMHO any noise that goes away when engine up to temperature can be safely ignored, it is easy to do more harm than good by trying to fix things that don't need fixing.  ' if it ain't broke, don't fix it '. Tappets and pistons can often be a bit noisy when cold.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2019, 08:47:13 PM »
Not me. Leave well alone. If you adjust a tappet too tight you can burn a valve and that, if I had it repaired in a garage, would effectively write off my car.

Tags: