Author Topic: SE and S infotainment differences  (Read 1291 times)

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
SE and S infotainment differences
« on: July 03, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
Hi

I'm looking at getting one of the last Mk3 as a reliable long term buy, the S seems to have enough equipment and having read the issues about the SE infotainment screen I'm not convinced it's worth the extra or for the sign recognition and other extra features.

Does the S have that annoying warning message flash up each time you drive or is that just on the SE touchscreen radio?  The S seems to have Bluetooth for phone and DAB which is enough for me without all the warnings and menus.

Thanks

RayS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
Re: SE and S infotainment differences
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 04:50:44 PM »
Unless you go for a SE with stanav, my opinion is that the touchscreen display is virtually redundant. It doesn't display any extra useful information that a non touchscreen can't do. The sign reconigation is on the LCD display on the drivers console, not on the touchscreen. Mine has only reconised one sign in ten months. It does reconise most speed signs which can be useful. I don't think the S has powered folding mirrors ( happy to be corrected) which is an aboslute must have for me, & was the reason I went for a SE rather than a S.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:47:18 PM by RayS »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 06:45:49 PM »
I agree with you about the infotainment system.  I went for the SE 4 years ago because of the parking sensors and electrically-adjustable mirrors.  I like the main beam assist and extra safety features, but these were not must-haves.

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 07:36:53 PM »
Go for the SE, those extras are worth having to make the driving experience that little more enjoyable. 

RobS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 67-plate 1.3 S
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 10:21:32 AM »
Hi

I'm looking at getting one of the last Mk3 as a reliable long term buy, the S seems to have enough equipment and having read the issues about the SE infotainment screen I'm not convinced it's worth the extra or for the sign recognition and other extra features.

Does the S have that annoying warning message flash up each time you drive or is that just on the SE touchscreen radio?  The S seems to have Bluetooth for phone and DAB which is enough for me without all the warnings and menus.

Thanks

No warning message on the S. It can be a bit fussy about Bluetooth but otherwise I find it easy to use and unobtrusive.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 12:07:09 PM »
The only thing I think is missing from the S is heated mirrors (they do have electric adjustment), as I work nights I often notice the mirrors are clouded over or frozen in the morning on the way home, also the DAB reception can be useless in rural areas, this is the same with all DAB radios, not specific to Honda ones.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 12:58:36 PM »
I really miss heated mirrors on my Jazz S. My previous 3 cars (25 years) all had heated mirrors. They are a godsend.

Muldoon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 04:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies, seems like the S has the basic essentials. Will check out both and see if I can get on with the fancy tech in the SE.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 01:38:41 AM »
I agree with you about the infotainment system.  I went for the SE 4 years ago because of the parking sensors and electrically-adjustable mirrors.  I like the main beam assist and extra safety features, but these were not must-haves.

the S has electrical adjust mirrors for driving position, just not folding in and out or heated 

plus the S has real volume and select knobs as well as the steering wheel controls and not a slider on the touch screen on the SE

i have the S and got it because i didnt want all the extras i wont use and when i drive an SE when i take it for a service im glad i got the S over the SE

i would like heated mirrors like all my cars since 1998 but it isnt worth the extra and i dont mind wheel trims so that does not bother me but it might bother you

and its even very small things like the SE has silver paint around the a/c dials that will wear away and look horrible over time where as the S is just black plastic

and as mine is a 68 plate i have the deep boot underfloor so if its newer it is shallow under there so lift up the boot floor and check and that is for all trim levels of 2019 on cars i think

you still get rear electric windows and rear disc brakes on all trim levels painted mirrors with integrated led indicators
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 03:40:41 AM by monkeydave »

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »
When I bought mine I was also looking at an S model but in the end a good deal on an SE came up so my decision was made for me.
Moving slightly off post are you after a manual or a CVT
I can't comment on the CVT but I went for a manual and must admit the gear changes are fine with this box, I wished some of my earlier (other makes) cars worked as well.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:07:26 PM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Tags: