Author Topic: New Crosstar's bad smell  (Read 60900 times)

Teatime

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar
New Crosstar's bad smell
« on: February 25, 2024, 05:30:13 AM »
Hello, 4 weeks since collecting my new Crosstar the terrible smell hasn't worn off. It's been back twice, valeted and checked over and the dealership now says it's just new car smell. It's not pumping out of the AC, I'm wondering if it's VOCs from the waterproof upholstery or other finishes. It's musty and stomach turning. My 30 day return window closes in a couple of days, I'm in a dilemma not knowing whether it's going to wear off. I've done 350 miles in 4 weeks, it's been in almost daily use. Any thoughts very welcome. My sister bought a new Jazz from another dealer the same week, not a Crosstar, and hers doesn't smell, so I'm worried there's something amiss somewhere. Thanks for reading.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: New Crosstar's bad smell
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 07:44:20 AM »
I didn’t notice any smell apart from the normal new car smell in my Crosstar. Maybe the dealer used some type of cleaner that might cause it? My dealer uses Waxoil on all new cars, so maybe something similar (you might be able to check it in their showroom on other new cars). Or they could have glued the plates on?
Is your ventilation system on recirculation? That might keep the smell in for longer, so fresh air is recommended.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 08:35:59 AM »
Have you got rubber mats  on the floors or in the boot ?  These can be quite smelly. Even if you have quite posh carpet ones you could try removing them  for a while to see if there is any improvement.

If it is the carpets/mats  they may improve  if you hang them up on a washing line and allow  a bit of sun and fresh air to circulate for a couple of days.

Bear  in mind that if your car is almost new it will have spent most of its days  since manufacture  in winter conditions in Japan, under cover on board ship, and in the UK  . Newly manufactured rubber and plastics  ,waterproofing /protective treatments etc  can retain solvents  that can take a while to  fully evaporate.  Which will happen much more quickly once the weather warms up.   
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 08:58:27 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Teatime

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 09:12:18 AM »
Many thanks to you both for your helpful suggestions. The AC isn't recirculating, although the dealer said it should always be on the auto function, which seems to help clear it once I'm driving. They sat me in another new car and there was a similar smell so it may be solvents etc they use or the storage conditions as you mention. I have no car mats as yet - they're on order. The dealer also claimed I wasn't driving it enough to clear the smell!  I'll try leaving the doors open for an extended period to ventilate it. Masking it with less unpleasant smells has only been a temporary fix.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 10:35:09 AM »
This doesn’t sound right to me. Had my Crosstar from new and never had any issues with unpleasant smells. Most new cars have that “new car smell “ which is fine and disappears after a few weeks.
Maybe get the opinion of a professional valeting company? You need to be certain that the smell can be eliminated, otherwise you will need to reject the car.

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 11:06:55 AM »
When I bought my Crosstar 7 months ago, the weather was warm and every time I went into the car, there was an unpleasant new car smell in it. That time the sunshine and heat probably made the smells evaporate from the car's interior materials. My car is parked outside. I'd suggest leaving all doors open for a minute before driving, to replace the smelly air inside the car with fresh air, so you don't have to breathe the smells as much.

Now 7 months later the weather is cold, and I don't notice any smell when I go into the car.

Heat and ventilation should help clear the smell quicker. If you have a warm garage, park the car there and leave the doors (or at least a window) open.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 02:38:05 PM »
I'd be going round the car trying to determine where it's coming from

Seating, heating, dash, carpets, etc
Let's be careful out there !

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 03:40:40 PM »
I'll try leaving the doors open for an extended period to ventilate it.
Watch out!  -  Leaving the car unlocked for a prolonged time will deplete the 12 V battery because the many control systems don't completely shut down if the car is unlocked.

This will slowly drain the 12 V battery and eventually leave you stranded.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 07:08:51 PM »
I'll try leaving the doors open for an extended period to ventilate it.
Watch out!  -  Leaving the car unlocked for a prolonged time will deplete the 12 V battery

Instead of the doors, you can of course leave all the windows open...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Teatime

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 04:08:37 AM »
These are all really helpful comments, I'm really grateful. I've sniffed all over and haven't identified a specific source. I'll ventilate via open windows, not doors. I don't have a warm garage. Realistically I'm in the territory of working on eliminating the smell rather than returning the vehicle, as the dealer refused to accept there's a substantial issue, having gone over the car checking for possible sources. Any return would have to be by legal proceedings. Right now I'm wishing we'd bought a used Jazz, instead of treating ourselves to a new one!

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 10:56:45 AM »
That’s frustrating to have an odd new car smell !! My New jazz didn’t keep its new smell for long -maybe a couple of weeks and it wasn’t an unacceptable smell as it didn’t affect my asthma !! I would check out another dealers showroom jazz to see if they have same smell ! Could be your dealer internally cleaning with something ?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 11:49:19 AM »
I’ve had 2 Mk4 Jazz cars, from new, both EX models and found no unacceptable smell with either of them.
As I understand it the only difference with the interior of the Crosstar is the material of the seat covering, which I understand is waterproof, could it be from these?

On other hand, with respect, this post has been viewed, over 3600 times and nobody  else has agreed with your concerns. Could it be that you are particularly susceptible to this smell?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 06:45:03 PM by Kenneve »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 12:08:31 PM »
Maybe an air freshener for a while.  You can get 'new car smell ' Fragrance. Ironic isnt it ;D
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2024, 01:23:40 PM »
If it was the seats I'd use Febreeze spray, but as we don't know .....
Let's be careful out there !

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2024, 10:30:04 PM »
Teatime,
Go to Halfords and buy one of those canisters that is used to rid old AC systems of bad smells.  Although its primary purpose to to clean up AC systems it actually circulates through the whole car and sanitises the seats, carpets and all the interior. It won't do any harm and may be helpful.

Tags: