Author Topic: Keyless entry. How do we know which key is faulty.  (Read 2073 times)

marchbrown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Keyless entry. How do we know which key is faulty.
« on: October 11, 2020, 04:42:12 PM »
Probably not a real problem, but if two key-holders are at the car at the same time and one key is faulty (battery) will the car display a faulty signal or not ... If it is the drivers key and he is dropping off the passenger, will the driver still be able to start the car again ... I assume that the trick of holding the key fob up against the stop / start button would work OK to get the car home ... Changing the battery is OK for me as the drivers key (battery) had to be changed after only eighteen months ... Does anyone carry a spare battery just in case ... I think I will in future carry a spare battery in the glove compartment just in case ... It would then be easy to replace the battery whilst in the car park ... This is my fifth Jazz in about 17 years, but the first with this method of keyless entry ... Gotta admit that I like this keyless method but wish there was a warning that would say that the battery needed changing in the next month or whatever.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
Re: Keyless entry. How do we know which key is faulty.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 07:32:05 PM »
Just bought mine 2 weeks ago 2018 plate from Honda Dealers, BOTH key batteries were low. Bad form on behalf of the dealer to supply it like that but the multi information display dinged and lit up like a christmas tree each time I started the car. There is a very clear symbol of a battery/key fob.

Changed one myself and got the dealer to put a new one in the second key fob, just because I thought they should  :(

I have bought a card of 4 CR2032 3v for standby and will keep a couple in the car.

Harry

marchbrown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 08:50:08 PM »
Thank you for your quick reply ... If only one battery is low, does the car still tell you about it or does the good key mask the fact that the other is faulty ... Say that Wife with faulty one gets in the passenger seat whist Husband gets in the drivers seat ... Do you still get an alarm ? ... Anyway, I have decided to keep spare batteries in the glove compartment just in case ... Thanks again ... Stay safe.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 12:16:03 AM »
Thank you for your quick reply ... If only one battery is low, does the car still tell you about it or does the good key mask the fact that the other is faulty ... Say that Wife with faulty one gets in the passenger seat whist Husband gets in the drivers seat ... Do you still get an alarm ? ... Anyway, I have decided to keep spare batteries in the glove compartment just in case ... Thanks again ... Stay safe.

I don't know is the answer. Because both keys were low on battery and I got the warning.

However when I changed my battery I had my wife in the car with me so mine was a new one and hers still low and the symbol had disappeared. So it appears one good key fob is all that's needed for the symbol to disappear.

Harry

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 07:32:21 AM »
This is only speculative logic but I would imagine that if the control unit detected a strong signal from either key fob, then it would not indicate a fault.

marchbrown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 08:35:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies ... I would think that the stronger signal would probably override the one with the bad battery as suggested ... That answers my query ... As I only changed one battery, when my wife complains that she can't get into the car using her key, I will change her key battery ... Won't do it till it needs to be done as we are always in the car together but go our own ways to do our shopping and return to the car at a pre-determined time ... I will probably get a mobile phone call from her complaining about being locked out ... Time will tell, but I will definitely carry a couple of spare batteries in the car "just in case"... Thanks again.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 06:49:39 PM »
I will definitely carry a couple of spare batteries in the car "just in case".
If you are going to buy new batteries you should put them in the keys.  Why wait until you have a problem, they are so inexpensive it's not worth worrying about.

marchbrown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 07:32:47 PM »
I changed my battery OK and will now do my Wifes key ...  As you say, the batteries are not expensive ... I have lots of spares ... I have also put a pack of four batteries in the car as spares, just in case ... Maybe even help another Honda Jazz owner ... All these batteries are dated December 2028 ... Thanks everyone ... Stay Safe.

Tags:

anything