Author Topic: Which head unit brand is fitted in a 2003 1.4 SE please?  (Read 20173 times)

guest4819

Which head unit brand is fitted in a 2003 1.4 SE please?
« on: May 25, 2014, 06:12:05 PM »
Argh. Sorry, posted this question in the 2002-2008 forum before realising there was a separate section in here for ICE questions. Apologies...

I want to get my wife an iPod connector but it appears there are different ones depending on whether she has a Pioneer or an Alpine in her car.  Is there any way I can tell without having to pull it all out in advance please?

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Re: Which head unit brand is fitted in a 2003 1.4 SE please?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:33:16 AM »
depending on whether she has a Pioneer or an Alpine in her car.

I'm confused at the "Pioneer or Alpine" question because I understand the OEM built-in radio to be manufactured by Visteon...

http://www.partsbase.org/honda/jazz-2003-ke-5-doors-1-4se-5mt-electrical-equipments-exhaust-heater-b-16-10-auto-radio-visteon/

Looking at 2004 onwards, if it has a navigation unit, rather than a plain old radio, then that is made by Alpine.

A picture of the unit (if you can) would be worth a thousand words.

guest4819

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:16:37 AM »
Ah, maybe I got confused by another comment elsewhere then! As far as I know, it's the standard fit radio.

We're fed up with the belkin FM transmitter thing and wanted to go for a charge&play option (via connector routed through glovebox) so were looking at the connects2 options as cheapest/best.  They have three though:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductInformation.aspx?id=11804&p=CTAHOIPOD002.2 and
http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductInformation.aspx?id=11796&p=CTAHOIPOD001.2 and
http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductInformation.aspx?id=11800&p=CTAHOIPOD001.3

but I'm not sure what the difference is and which I need.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »
Ok, that's a standard fit. Note the TAPE AUX button. At the moment the AUX function doesn't do anything as there is nothing plugged into the AUX socket on the back of the unit.

Ask the seller to confirm, but the conclusion I draw from the photos...

Kit 1.2 attaches to the AUX socket on the back and it mimics the behaviour of a CD changer, so the files and folders on the iPod appear as numbered discs/tracks.

Kit 2.2 looks the same as Kit 1.1, but with the addition of a Y-splitter cable to allow a loop-through for an installation where there is something already plugged into the AUX socket of the back of the radio (such as a CD changer), but I doubt anything is plugged into the back of yours at the minute.

Kit 1.3 looks like it does the same job as Kit 1.2, but as well as having a plug for an iPod, it also has a 3.5mm jack connector, so you could plug a non-iPod device in with a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack lead such as a mobile phone or generic MP3 player.

However, there is a question of the plugs on the back. I'll see if I can find pics later to confirm. (Work interrupts)

guest4819

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »
Aha, that makes sense then. So assuming the seller is correct on the "All Jazz models from 2001" description, a simple 1.2 would do me.  Many thanks for the help.

guest4819

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »
On re-looking, this is where my confusion came from. Almost all listings refer to "Jazz" (and Civic, etc) from 2001 on.  Then they go on to say, "stock OEM Pioneer head unit" or "OEM Alpine head unit" which, as you've pointed out, is balls as they are Visteons back in 2003 models!

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
The only reservation I have is what plug is on the end at the headunit. I'll see if I can solve this later. In the meantime if anyone else knows...

guest4819

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Here we go... I managed to get in behind the famous panel today and this is what I found:

Does that help?

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »
Enormously!

The white socket is the one for the CD changer which the box of tricks plugs into. The green socket is for the/a 3.5mm auxillary input which is/goes down below the cigarette lighter.

The CTAHOIPOD001.2 would do for iPod only use and the black box one gives a jack plug input for feeding in sound from non-Apple stuff. A better picture of the plug of the 1.2:

Looks right for the socket, compatability list matches, order (and worst case Distant Selling Regulations applies)

Do come back and let us know how you got on, as searching back, there are a few incomplete threads on this which isn't much help to the next person to ask.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
The only other question that leaves is how these work with an adaptor/different lead for newer Apple stuff with the lightning connector?

guest4819

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »
That sounds promising, thanks!  Was actually pleased with how simple it was to get at the radio once I followed the instructions on here. You definitely need the 8mm socket to remove those two screws, they're too tight for a philips screwdriver alone.

Will update once I'm done, cheers!

guest4819

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 04:34:57 PM »
The only other question that leaves is how these work with an adaptor/different lead for newer Apple stuff with the lightning connector?

Allegedly you can get a lightning to 30-pin adapter to work with newer apple products. We have an old ipod Classic 5G so no worries there!

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 04:47:22 PM »
My only experience with Apple products was due to a friend visiting on holiday having forgotten their charger for their (latest) iPad.

€19(!) (IIRC £15 in the UK) for the tiny lightning to micro USB adaptor (I've plenty of USB chargers in the house of varying levels of grunt). I would have thought even Apple would of stopped at a tenner, but that's beyond cheeky!

Anyway, good luck. I've to pull the radio out of mine too, but either for an Aux jack or Bluetooth adaptor. Not sure yet.

Broadmayne

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: GD 2005 iDSI CVT-7
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 02:58:57 PM »
Replying to Eddie Honda, the Haynes Wiring Diagram 6 for the GD1 Jazz shows the 6 pin connector for AUX Input for CD Changer not the White 14 pin connector. I am trying to locate a "free" socket to connect to the 6 pin AUX Socket but neither Connects2, Halfords (who sell the Connects2 products, or some of them) nor any Auto Parts delaer I have tried, can identify this connector. I've tried Molex and a load of other sites but not been able to identify manufacturer and type. The local Honda dealer cannot help either. There is no power on the 6 pin connector but pins 1 and 2 are shorted when a CD Changer is used and this would need to be done on using any other kit, such as a Bluetooth Music Receriver module. Three other pins are the Left and Right Channel inputs plus Signal Ground. The useful GTA Car Kits video shows removal of Head Unit and connection to it.

guest4819

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 11:11:13 AM »
Forgot to come back with an update!

So yes, the CTAHOIPOD002 was exactly what I needed. It was an absolute doddle to fit & get working. the "blocky" bit of the unit fits behind the glove box and I ran the ipod cable down to the bottom of the dashboard down where the sort of storage pots are - the ipod happily sits in one of these when in use.

Charges the ipod perfectly and appears as a virtual CD multichanger. Easy to change tracks from head unit without fiddling with iPod and sound quality is brilliant now I've adjust bass & treble a bit!

Wife very happy with new setup :-)

Tags:

anything