Author Topic: 1.4 EX and USB query.  (Read 14809 times)

guest489

Re: 1.4 EX and USB query.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 10:20:42 PM »
Lawrence,

It's a little difficult to answer your enquiry, because there's no such model as a 2008/9 'Jazz Comfort' in the UK, so I don't know the spec of your wife's car. The  'USB' socket on the upper-range UK Jazz models is actually a conversion lead, with USB female at one end, attached at the other end through a plug to a further socket. I don't know what you'd call this type of plug and socket, but it's located  just in front of the gear lever, at the foot of the dash, hard to see from a seated position.

I really can't say whether it is then hardware, firmware or software that interprets the signal in, and the control signals from the user, nor whether it can distinguish between a USB device with a FAT filesystem, and an ipod. I'm afraid I live in a PC/Windows world, and don't use an ipod [I have a 'Cowon i-audio' player - bit esoteric, function over form], so I can't test it out. Others on this forum seem to have a better idea about the use of ipods.

Lau

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »
Thanks for your reply!

I believe the Comfort is the Jazz LE type, the version just under the Exclusive and it comes without the USB connector in the dash.

We're picking up the Jazz tomorrow, so I'll ask the dealer about it and post back should I learn anything worth mentioning.

Thanks again!

Lawrence.

ThomP

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »
I believe the Comfort is the Jazz LE type, the version just under the Exclusive and it comes without the USB connector in the dash.

We're picking up the Jazz tomorrow, so I'll ask the dealer about it and post back should I learn anything worth mentioning.

You can get the USB connector as an option for the Comfort - don't know the price though...!
Storm Silver Metallic rules:)

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 05:03:57 PM »
The USB support is for a low current mass storage device with a FAT16 or FAT32 first partition. The player ignores all other partitions. Hard drives probably take too long to "spin up" and draw too much power.

Beware of U3 "Vista ready" USB sticks. These have a default mode whereby they can appear to be two devices: a USB CD-ROM and a mass storage device. Usually, these sticks can be made to work by disabling the U3 mode using software from the device's manufacturer (this usually involves reformatting).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3

Extra note: Although the player can play Variable Bit Rate MP3s, it gets confused by them when fast forwarding (elapsed time doesn't match) or resuming (it resumes at a point way before it stopped). You're best sticking to fixed rate. For short tracks, this won't be a problem, but if you've transcoded a radio play or similar it can be most annoying.

guest911

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »
Page 221 of the manual says "Only AAC format files recorded with iTunes are playable on this audio unit".  Page 222 gives the full specifications.  We are using dane-elec 1Gb flash pens recorded on iTunes without changing any settings and everything works fine.

Hope this helps,

Mozart.

Tags: