Author Topic: What audio system  (Read 10537 times)

guest3384

What audio system
« on: August 28, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »
Hi
Sorry in advance if this seems a daft question.. but what system do i have?
My car is the EX so i would have thought the "premium system" cant see any tweeters anywhere!! or don't Honda  do those?   :o
Lynn

guest1272

• Topic Starter
Re: What audio system
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
AFAIK, in the UK the premium EX has the same audio as the ES.
2 (crappy) full-range paper speakers in the front doors and 2 in the rear doors. One of the first things I did on mine was swap those out for Alpine 16.5cm Co-Axial's.
No sub is included (I added my own to my car later).
The radio is a CD player and FM/MW radio (no DAB) with AUX  in. Your EX spec will have added USB input ports for memstick or iPod control too I think.

Unfortunately it's nigh on impossible to get a RHD fascia panel that includes space for the airbag light for 2009-on Jazzes (you can import replacement fascias for Australian/Japanese models but these do NOT have the required space for that light)....so unless you're happy to disable that system, you're stuck with the factory built headunit I'm afraid.

guest3710

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 04:46:27 PM »
Hi, I want to replace my speakers too, also with Alpine made. Please tell me exactly what model of alpine speakers did you choose, what is their power/sensibility, and if they fitted well inside the doors. Are you satisfied with the sound quality after the change?

Also, maybe you know what the power specifications are for the head unit/amplifier (which I don't plan to replace), so I can choose the best fitted speakers.
Unfortunately my car dealer was not aware of the stereo system specifications (he told me he will do research and let me know, but it takes time)

By the way, I know the head unit on Jazz (mine is 2012 model) is Alpine, but (now that you took them out) what about the speakers? Are they still Alpine, or Panasonic (as someone told me)? Anyway they are indeed crap (especially on low frequencies) that's why I plan to change them.

Thanks.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:05:56 PM »
would be interested in the alpine speaker model as well.
Thanks

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:35:04 AM »
It will not make one iota of difference what type of amplification you have in a car, unless you are the type that wants a sub-woofer in the boot.  Alpine speakers are not available here but there are several Chinese makes with polypropelene cones and a built in dome tweeter that sound better than the paper-cone speakers supplied, which on AM sound very muffled.

I think it is important to have waterproof material for the cone, as it is not difficult to get speakers wet and although the speakers seem to have a shiny coating on them, it is still stiff paper.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest1272

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »
Hi, I want to replace my speakers too, also with Alpine made. Please tell me exactly what model of alpine speakers did you choose, what is their power/sensibility, and if they fitted well inside the doors. Are you satisfied with the sound quality after the change?

Also, maybe you know what the power specifications are for the head unit/amplifier (which I don't plan to replace),
so I can choose the best fitted speakers.
Unfortunately my car dealer was not aware of the stereo system specifications (he told me he will do research and let me know, but it takes time)

By the way, I know the head unit on Jazz (mine is 2012 model) is Alpine, but (now that you took them out) what about the speakers? Are they still Alpine, or Panasonic (as someone told me)? Anyway they are indeed crap (especially on low frequencies) that's why I plan to change them.

Thanks.

would be interested in the alpine speaker model as well.
Thanks

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying (and Happy New Year  :D).

The HeadUnit is built by Alpine but is pretty poor imo, chucking out 29W RMS per channel (41Wx4 peak). - Part Number TUNER ASSY. (41WX4) (ALPINE)

The speakers I chose were Alpine SXE-1725S x4, 60-20kHz, 4Ohms, 40W RMS, 92dB/W/m - total cost £60 for all 4 and a BIG step up from the stock speakers when powered by the stock HeadUnit. (see HERE)

I then added a powered sub, Alpine again : Alpine SWE-1000 (50-125Hz LP Filter, 4Ohms, 40W RMS, 92dB/W/m) - £125

...and finally, because I wanted a tiny bit more top end, I added Alpine tweeters that are designed to piggy back off the fronts : Alpine SPS-1005 (1cm dome, Neodymium mag, 30W RMS, 6dB/Octave Xover, ) - £20 the pair from eBay

Total price for all 7 speakers £205, using the original headunit and sounding a hundred times better :D

guest3710

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »
Hi, Happy New Year and thanks for the info.
I'm in the process of upgrading the audio system in my apartment and due to (much) bigger costs (wife not quite happy) had to postpone the Jazz door speakers upgrade.

I still plan to do it in 1-2 months. In the meantime though, I did some research both on the web and at a local Alpine seller to find out that Alpine speakers are actually not quite the best bang for the buck (they still do very good head units/amps) and that I would be better off going for brands like Helix, Hertz or even DB Audio.

For example Helix Blue B62C offer 50W RMS (instead of 40) and also have wider frequency scale (55HZ-22KHz). It's true that they cost twice as much as Alpine SXE-1725S, but they come with 2 separate tweeters, so I won't have to spend on those - and also as they go down to 55 Hz I may not feel the need for a sub-woofer. I will see about that.

Some additional worries came about that exterior trim of Jazz' speakers which have a specific dent not to find in other speakers, so a trimming operation is required to fit them in. I would't want to replace the speakers and do the trimming operation myself (Jazz still in the 3 year warranty period and I would likely lose the electric warranty for the car - as informed by the dealer);

I did find someone who can do it but he's outside Honda so I would lose the warranty. On the other hand, if I'd do it at Honda, they insist that I should replace with speakers sold by Honda - which, as you've noted, are very expensive - because they have that unique form at the edge of speakers and so will make the replacing operation easier for the worker at my local Honda dealer.
I'm still puzzled of why Honda chose this odd shape for the outer edge of their door speakers.
Will see about that too and keep you informed.

P.S. Which is the depth of your new Alpine speakers? The fitting depth for door speakers generally varies between 45 - 75 mm; I believe the smaller the depth the better for Jazz door fitting. Did you have such issues when installing the new speakers?

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 11:20:16 AM »
I got the wife happy by getting her a Bernina sewing machine.  Then for the next upgrade it was a garden services to cut the lawn on the outside of the house.  Then it was a subscription to a woman's magazine.

There are always ways and means, you have to be inventive.  I cannot smuggle audio equipment in, as sooner or later, she will say "where did that come from?"
If music be the food of love, play on

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »
get rid of the wife  ;D job done  ;)

guest1272

• Topic Starter
What audio system
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »
Won't invalidate warranty afaik - that's what my local dealership told me. Having said that, waiting wont hurt either :).
The one thing to remember about dealers is that they will sell you what they want to shift in stock - not necessarily what's best for your car. I come from HiFi land (home not car) and I can guarantee you that you're more likely to damage a speaker by under driving it than by overdriving it. Put simply trying to drive a 40W speaker from a 30W amp will cause no damage whereas trying to drive a 100W speaker by the same amp is more likely to start clipping and damage the voice coil. Hence, keeping your speakers as close to the rated output of the amp per channel is essential for good sound quality. This is why I chose the Alpines as they match the head unit well (and sound bloody good).
Also, you won't notice a difference going from 40W RMS to 50W in terms of sound level because that scale is logorithmic not linear... The speakers will end up sounding just as loud. Sonic characteristics are more determined by materials used and construction which, at this price point, are all fairly similar for any given type of speaker - basically put, most speakers in the sub £200 bracket will sound similar if they are of the same construction and you probably won't notice any major improvements until you get to the £250+ region (which was too expensive for me)...but whichever ones you go for, make sure you get the same for front and rear (4 matched).
It sounds like the ones you've seen are components not coaxials (different construction), which are generally better made anyway (but more difficult to install as you have to find space for the crossover unit)... But yes, components would sound better than the equivalent coaxials most instances if you're happy with the cost increase.

The bass from the Alpines was fine, I only installed the sub as I wanted that lower octave for when the dubstep came on :)
(The Alpines are shallower than the originals btw).

The Honda official speakers aren't special in any way and are simply "standard" coax's which of course Honda would recommend - for the price they charge so would I if I were in their shoes ;) and the actual speakers are "built into" a spacer so, yes, trimming them out is required to fit the new ones but this is a fairly easy process (that dent they mentioned is probably the connecting socket which most professional installers would simply discard anyway (and either direct solder or use spade connectors)).

The actual biggest problem with the sound is the head unit itself - which has built in equalisation which is neigh on impossible to remove. So the biggest bang for your buck would be changing the head unit (something which I'm considering doing myself during the spring when finances allow - plus it'll be a big DIY job involving drilling, cutting and sanding so I want the weather to be better :)

@Chris, install them behind her back and see how long it takes her to notice a difference. I have friends who have replaced major components in their home HiFi setups (cd player unit for instance) and it's taken a whole year before their other halves noticed :D

Sent from my iThingy using Tapathingy

guest3710

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
@Gaffer: Oops, (different)language barrier here: by 'dent' I meant that "swollen" portion of the speaker's edge (so the contrary of dent, which, as I find out, means a depression). Come to think of it, If Honda were to install a perfect round speaker in the door, they would have to fill the remaining space (corresponding to the blown-out portion) with something, in order to prevent vibrations.

You may have a point there, as if I were to buy same component (Helix) pair of speakers for the back doors, I would end up with a useless pair of tweeters - the Jazz having 2 holes for tweeters only on the front panel. So I may be better off with your option, the coaxials.

@chris & boatman: right, I will see which matches best :)
Uhm, on second thought...not quite, as she is financing most of the audio upgrade (in the apartment, that is).

Tags: