Author Topic: What radio options do Honda provide  (Read 5850 times)

guest1408

What radio options do Honda provide
« on: May 19, 2010, 08:09:17 AM »
I have just bought a second hand honda Jazz 1.2 2006 model - I enquired at my local dealer about replacing the head unit with another Honda radio/CD that would play MP3 CD's - I can use my ipphone for music with aux in but I like to keep my audio books on CD so that I can switch between music and books on the move without having to fumble with the iphone.  The dealer told me that there isnt a radio unit listed which will play MP3s - even though they fit them to newer models!

Where can I get information about the possible alternatives to an aftermarket model which entails replacing fascia (why do car manufacturers restrict after market fitting so much when they dont even provide alternative models for you to fit - radio technology moves faster than car design!)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: What radio options do Honda provide
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:23:03 AM »
Aftermarket replacement is made difficult due to the anti-theft design of modern radio units making them unique in terms of size and shape to a particular model. The days of someone stealing your radio and installing it in their Mk2 Vauxhall Astra are thankfully long gone!

Any aftermarket radio should work with the correct connectors. The link below gives a rough idea of what is required, but always check first with the radio Manufacturer or retailer (Halfords I think have a flip chart in store, or visit the radio Manufacturer's website):

http://clubjazz.org/forum/gd-i-c-e/connecting-cd-changersreplacing-the-factory-radio

guest1408

• Topic Starter
Happy ending - no thanks to Honda UK
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
After getting nowhere with Honda UK, who completely denied that Honda made a replacement panel, I managed to source one from a company www.carstereos4u.co.uk who offered a kit (panel and wiring lead) for £118 - it took a couple of weeks to get because they were on order from Japan and i was nervous about maybe getting some cheap third part piece of kit made from a plastic that didnt match!
I need not have worried when the well packed box arrived inside was a genuine honda accessory
P/N 08B00-SAA-5*0-A which came with all the possible parts you could need to fit a standard double din radio (or as I wanted a single din for which they included a useful pocket compartment to fill the gap)  :D

Having read the 20 page genuine honda manual that came with it I decided to ask Halfords to fit it as they fitted my last one and have a standard radio fitting charge irrespective of how long the job will take. :P

I confess I am now saving my pennies to replace my nice Sony single din player with usb, blue tooth etc with a combined double din radio sat nav unit - now the panel is in place it should take no more than half an hour to fit a standard double din unit

I have written to Honda uK seeking an explanation as to why they could not supply this genuine Honda part - though with hindsight I probably got it cheaper than if they had! 8) 

Tags: