Author Topic: Gizmos on the Mk 3  (Read 6007 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Gizmos on the Mk 3
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 09:30:28 PM »
Having thought about again, I find I never SLs, but use CC all the time where possible.

I kind of thought that from your description, but didn't want to say so out loud :o

Not sure why the speed limiter would be annoying, it's really helpful in the right place, eg a camera-controlled average speed check zone: your attention can be outside the window instead of being fixated on the speedometer. The advantage over CC is that you can vary your speed easily using normal throttle control to match the other traffic. If the Jazz had adaptive CC then perhaps that would make the limiter less useful ... but it doesn't.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 09:43:08 PM »
When I had the loaner I found that the speed limiter was on and reading the signs. I had no idea how to cancel it so just pushed the accelerator down. It beeped at me but sped up anyway. Just a bit more resistance to pedal.
Don't understand this comment. The two speed limiters and the cruise control are off by default when you start the engine, you have to positively set them in order to get the benefits. However, the Mk3 also has the facility to set audible alarms when you exceed certain speeds (I have mine set to 30 & 70, but you can change these to suit your preference). I suspect that your loan car had one or both of these set, and that's what you were hearing: you would have heard the beeps a few times and then they would have stopped. If you were genuinely experiencing the speed limiter, the beeping would not stop until you'd dropped down below the limit speed. The alarms are not speed limiters, simply audible reminders that you've reached certain speeds, and do not act on the throttle in the way the limiter does.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 10:18:18 PM »
That could be the case. I just got in the car and drove it. Managed to switch the radio off but as far as everything else it could have been the Space Shuttle I was in. I do know the lights came on when I went through some trees and I found out it had 6-gears!

guest4871

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 10:38:14 PM »
However, the Mk3 also has the facility to set audible alarms when you exceed certain speeds (I have mine set to 30 & 70, but you can change these to suit your preference).

This also a feature on the Mk2.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 01:52:18 PM »
I am considering buying a Mk3 but see that they have a variety of 'driver aids' as standard such as, speed limiter, forward collision device, traffic sign recognition, intelligent speed assist, high beam assist, stop/start and lane departure.
Can any of these devices be switched off permanently ?

Vic.
Speed limiter: normally is off.
Foward collision device: always on, from 0 to 20mph, then only the alert goes on working.
Traffic sign recognition: always on, there is only a sign on the instrument panel.
Intelligent speed assist: as the speed limiter.
High beam assist: always on.
Start&Stop: always on, cannot be permanently disabled.
Lane departure: can be switched off pressing the button.

My question is why  paying for this useful devices and then disabling them...

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 02:09:59 PM »
Manual use of the high-beam control disables the automatic system for that trip unless reset by lifting the control towards you for 3 seconds.  I prefer to leave it on automatic.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 02:24:53 PM »
My question is why  paying for this useful devices and then disabling them...

Depending what model you buy these gizmos are not options. The more of these devices a car has the more the driver becomes used to them and the less the driver his/her self drives the car. His/her attention span lowers until they are not aware what is going on around them, they are driving like robots.

Vic.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2020, 04:08:29 PM »
Twenty years ago many people were against ABS because they believed that this system would have brought drivers do forget how to brake fine in panic stops. The story shows us that in panic stops drivers used to deeply press the brake pedal and to keep it pressed, both with or without ABS... So abs was a big improvement in safety. As ABS,  these are supplementary driving aids and safety devices and they won't work if you do not make a mistake; lane departure system will never warn you if you keep driving in your lane, automatic brake will never stop the car if you keep safety distances, airbags will never deploy if you hit another car, and so on.
The only real aid is the high beam assist: I find it useful, because now my high beams works alone, without pushing and pulling the lever; I usually drive also other cars, driving them as I used to drive my previous car and no, I don't drive them worst since I have a Jazz with an automatic high beam device... I drive these old cars as I used to drove my old renault, keeping low beams also when I could push high beams, so I have to admit that with the Jazz I see better than before, since Jazz switchs to high beams also for some seconds...
No, I definetly prefer the Jazz with aids.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2020, 04:32:44 PM »
I just hear a story this afternoon, about a woman whose car was in for accident damage repair (not her fault, struck while parked). She had parked the courtesy car and was walking away when she noticed it moving. She hadn't put on the handbrake (her car has an automatic electric handbrake). The next thing was she was getting flashed at because she didn't have any lights on. Her car has automatic lights.
It is amazing how quickly we forget. Back in the '80s, I spent three weeks driving an automatic (my first time with auto transmission). On my final day one of the guys brought in his 71 Corvette Stingray, a pre federal spec muscle car, and the first time I tried to come to a halt I forgot to depress the clutch. A 7 litre V8 takes some stalling! But I managed it.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2020, 05:38:24 PM »
High beam assist is excellent in my experience. I do as little night time driving as I can get away with these days but this is just one less thing to think about when you are trying to concentrate on the road in poor light.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 07:03:20 PM »
The only thing that I have disabled is the lane departure warning.  I don't indicate when pulling back into the left hand lane on a dual carriageway and I got fed up with it telling me.

Like someone else said, why get a car with all these aids on and not use them?  The one thing that you have to be aware of is that they are just aids and should not be relied on, as the Magistrate will no doubt tell you.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »
The only thing that I have disabled is the lane departure warning.  I don't indicate when pulling back into the left hand lane on a dual carriageway and I got fed up with it telling me.

Like someone else said, why get a car with all these aids on and not use them?  The one thing that you have to be aware of is that they are just aids and should not be relied on, as the Magistrate will no doubt tell you.
Even the lane departure warning is helpful if you were to doze off.  There is a steady flow of accidents where the absence of tyre marks shows that the driver had briefly lost consciousness.  This is why I think the collision avoidance system is invaluable.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2020, 07:37:09 PM »
Does auto braking work above 20mph ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2020, 09:19:12 PM »
Does auto braking work above 20mph ?
No

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
I think that all these 'aids' are giving drivers a false sense of security as quite a few Tesla owners have found out - autopilot is not much more than cruise control,  and will not stop you hitting a parked fire truck, or even accelerating as you approach it,  and lane deviation only works when there are actually lines in the road that are visible.  Anything that gives people the impression that they no longer have to pay as much attention to driving has got to be a bad thing,  For Jazzaro to compare ABS brakes to main beam assist and speed limit recognition is disingenuous - ABS is a great safety aid** that comes into play at a critical moment to help the driver brake safely - it gives them the braking ability of a well trained professional (  I have it on my motorbike, where IMHO it is more crucial than having it on a four wheel vehicle ), the rest should not be required  if the driver is paying attention.  I wonder how many drivers with brake assist actually realise it only works at low speed and career around under the impression it will save their life if something happens while they are messing with their phone at 60mph ? 

** Even so,  ABS can actually increase stopping distance on loose surfaces and snow,  and traction control often better turned off in snow and mud.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: