Author Topic: Gizmos on the Mk 3  (Read 5936 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Gizmos on the Mk 3
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 10:11:58 AM »
"The rest should not be required if the driver is paying attention".  OK, but my concern is the driver who briefly dozes, and it happens all too frequently.  An alarm to jolt the driver alert is important in my view.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 10:32:51 AM »
ABS can actually increase stopping distance on loose surfaces and snow,  and traction control often better turned off in snow and mud.
They reckon that the quickest way you can stop in the snow is when the wheels lock and the snow builds up ahead of the wheels. ABS prevents that happening.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »
"The rest should not be required if the driver is paying attention".  OK, but my concern is the driver who briefly dozes, and it happens all too frequently.  An alarm to jolt the driver alert is important in my view.

I am actually in favour of ditching drivers seatbelts and airbags ( not passenger ones ) and putting a big spike in the centre of the steering wheel - the message being 'if you don't pay attention and have a crash this will impale you and you will die' - that should get driver to pay attention.  You can tell by the way a lot of people drive their tin box that they think they are invulnerable and their sorry 455 is well protected - let them feel vulnerable like cyclists, pedestrians and motorbike riders and it may help change their perspective a bit.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 02:54:52 PM »
I've always thought that riding a motorbike makes you a much better car driver.

orcadian

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz SE
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 04:31:02 PM »
Hi Vic,
We’ve lived with our Mk3 Jazz for a little over a year now and put around 6000 miles on top of the 16000 it had when we got it.  It’s a manual SE and one of the early Mk3’s (Sept 2015).  Living here in Orkney we both tend to use most of the functions available but the lane assist is permanently switched off - might turn it on when we venture down to Englandshire next time but just for the long motorway parts.  I quite like the headlamp dip system and only makes small errors in heavy rain.  Parking sensors occasionally useful but the warning of collision can be a bit disconcerting when approaching left handers if there is traffic coming the other way, which it sees as a threat!  The flashed message is so transient that it’s useless.  The ice warning operates at 3 degrees but if the temp rises to something above that, then drops to 3 or below again there is no further warning beep on that trip.  Can’t agree with others about the volume ‘slider’ on the touch screen - there are still + and - buttons on the wheel which work well.  Like everyone else, really hacked off with the idiot message at every start up - not possible to remove.  Fuel consumption display lies like a politician!

Otherwise it’s a great little car,
Ian

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 09:36:38 PM »

I am actually in favour of ditching drivers seatbelts and airbags ( not passenger ones ) and putting a big spike in the centre of the steering wheel - the message being 'if you don't pay attention and have a crash this will impale you and you will die' - that should get driver to pay attention.  You can tell by the way a lot of people drive their tin box that they think they are invulnerable and their sorry 455 is well protected - let them feel vulnerable like cyclists, pedestrians and motorbike riders and it may help change their perspective a bit.

I seem to remember, in the mists of time, a colleague telling me that the insurance on his Lada Riva was the lowest he'd had on any previous car. The car was massively outdated (based on the Fiat 124 if memory serves) with crap brakes, a noisy engine and diabolical handling. That car took some driving (I know from being a passenger) and the insurance industry isn't daft, actuarially it must have had relatively few accidents. I had a lift in my brother's 4 series Beemer just before Christmas - liking being in my lounge but with better seats!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2020, 10:39:29 AM »
...the insurance industry isn't daft, actuarially it must have had relatively few accidents.

The insurance industry is usually interested in how much a repair would cost after a car is damaged. A car like the Lada, which was cheap to buy in the first place, had cheap parts and was easy to repair, would have low premiums. A simple low speed shunt would just involve unbolting and replacing a few panels. A more modern car would be more expensive to insure not only because it costs more in the first place, but a relatively minor shunt could write it off because  distortion of the crumple zones would make it expensive, if not impossible, to repair. The modern car would however be streets ahead of the Lada in terms of occupant safety.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2020, 12:11:56 PM »
Fair comment. You certainly wouldn't want to be in a crash in a Lada. I still think there is something in the "cushioned isolation" of the driver from the road thing and the ability to fiddle about on the internet from an infotainment screen is undesirable from my point of view. My cousin's late husband, an engineer involved in the motor industry for all his working life, simply couldn't believe that manufacturers were able to get away with these screens. We see adverts for Apple Play and the android equivelant - you absolutely should not be engaging in editing your play list or reading emails while you are driving.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 03:14:09 PM »
I'm currently abroad driving a hired Astra which has a lane departure system which tries to take over the steering, but it does not give an audible warning.  It is intermittent in operation because in order to function it has to see two white lines, one on each side.  I think the C-RV has something similar, and it may well be fitted in the new hybrid Jazz.  I think I prefer the current Jazz system with the audible warning for crossing a single line on either side without signalling, as per the training mantra "Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre".

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
I think I prefer the current Jazz system with the audible warning for crossing a single line on either side without signalling, as per the training mantra "Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre".
I would be much happier if that system had the intelligence to only enable itself on motorways and dual carriageway roads. Mine got turned off after getting over-excited by me deliberately crossing the white line down the middle of relatively narrow rural roads in order to smooth out some of the bends when visibility permitted.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »
Lane departure does only work above 40mph

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2020, 04:53:33 AM »
Do you not get Adaptive Cruise Control? Set your maximum and set your desired following distance and the system will follow the car in front up to that speed. If it slows down then your car will brake automatically to maintain the set distance. If you decide to overtake the system will latch on to the next vehicle and do the same.

I find it helps relive the strain of motorway driving quite a lot. I did a 6 hour round trip last week and was far less tired than I was doing the same with my GD1.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2020, 06:44:35 AM »
Do you not get Adaptive Cruise Control?

Not in my 2016 Mk 3, but then I'm up in Scotland so have more chance to easily use the simpler version. Had the adaptive cruise control in an automatic hire car recently, very easy to use in town, just point the car in the right direction and make sure that you're aware of what the cars are doing around you as them changing positions might give unexpected braking / acceleration.

ACC and self dipping rear mirrors would be nice on my next car. I tend to not use the lane assist as I try to straighten out bends when safe to do so, parking sensors stay on as does the stop / start and auto headlights, all of which seem to be logical most of the time in how they operate and I don't feel as if I'm fighting them / they're intruding into my driving as has been the case with other makes of cars. YMMV.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »
Do you not get Adaptive Cruise Control?

The Mk3 Jazz sold in the UK does not have adaptive cruise control in any trim level.

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2020, 06:23:41 AM »
I see, I haven't found it useful in town here. It works above 40km/hr and I tried it a bit but decided I was a lot better at predicting the many delays and adjusting speed gradually and smoothly than it was. Most city driving here is slow and the words stop/start don't begin to do it justice. The same is true to some extent on the motorway - I can adjust more smoothly and earlier than it can but for those long boring stretches when everything is just running along smoothly I do find it very helpful to turn it and Lane Keeping Assist System on. It is less tiring for sure.

I assume you get the Road Departure Mitigation system. At first I turned it off because I thought I might want to cross the centre line to avoid something - possibly if a deer or something runs in front of the car. However, the other driver of the car's steering is really poor so I decided that was the greater risk and turned it back on Sure enough, the other driver commented the the other day that the system often alerts her to the fact she is drifting too far either to the left or right. It is supposed to warn you/brake if you are in danger of hitting a pedestrian which could also be useful around here as the roads are often narrow and there are no pavements, so no separation.

Tags:

anything