Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 700633 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1440 on: February 13, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »
Most garages will probably decrease number of pumps while increasing EV charge points - I you buy an ICE car in 2030 it will easily last till 2050 - and there are a lot of classic and vintage cars around that still need fuel.  Maybe hydrogen will replace petrol and diesel so garages will sell that as well.  We still need to pump and refine crude to get all the other things we need from petroleum, and the military will still run their kit on petrol products ( and if anyone complains about emissions from a F-35 or F-16 they will just get targeted with a well place missile ) so it ain't gonna go away anytime soon.

just imagine air-to-air refueling of an electric military plane ' if you can stay hooked up for 3 hours we can give you another 100 miles LOL ). Also 'our military planes can't carry weapons any more because they can only just take off with the weight of the batteries'..
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:18:02 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1441 on: February 13, 2020, 02:03:32 PM »
Battery powered missiles would be interesting. Saving the planet whilst killing people at the same time.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1442 on: February 13, 2020, 03:04:19 PM »

just imagine air-to-air refueling of an electric military plane ' if you can stay hooked up for 3 hours we can give you another 100 miles LOL ). Also 'our military planes can't carry weapons any more because they can only just take off with the weight of the batteries'..

But Boris is promising electric planes.

" There will be a dawn of a new age of electric vehicles, not just cars or bicycles but electric planes.

Electric planes. It's happening already. Made possible with battery technology being developed now in the UK."

https://www.indy100.com/article/boris-johnson-manchester-speech-invented-new-bus-watch-video-9023321

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1443 on: February 13, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »

" There will be a dawn of a new age of electric vehicles, not just cars or bicycles but electric planes.

Electric planes. It's happening already. Made possible with battery technology being developed now in the UK."

https://www.indy100.com/article/boris-johnson-manchester-speech-invented-new-bus-watch-video-9023321

This is what the silly fool will be rambling about, they're looking at them for the 5-10 minute hops to and from Orkney's North Isles -

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/air-transport/2019-11-20/uk-backs-hybrid-electric-re-engining-britten-norman-islander

This is the best bit,

"I know a lot about buses, believe me. I love buses, I helped to invent a new type of bus."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:42:35 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #1444 on: February 13, 2020, 04:50:18 PM »
Might owning an ICE then become as inconvenient as an EV is for many people at the present?
The town I stayed in for the first 57 years of my life has no filling station. The nearest is a 12-mile round trip. When petrol cost 4/4d a gallon it had 5.  It does, however, have a charging station!

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1445 on: February 13, 2020, 04:57:13 PM »

This will what the silly fool will be rambling about, they're looking at them for the 5-10 minute hops to and from Orkney's North Isles -

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/air-transport/2019-11-20/uk-backs-hybrid-electric-re-engining-britten-norman-islander

Yep that's them. Not even electric but hybrid and only for very short flights

This is the best bit,

"I know a lot about buses, believe me. I love buses, I helped to invent a new type of bus."

The diesel ones with no opening windows on the top deck and the free jump-on jump-off platform at the back.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/boris-buses-back-door-boarding-ban-to-stop-fare-dodgers-a4331146.html
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/sadiq-khan-axes-new-routemasters-on-london-streets-in-costcutting-drive-a3430836.html

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:01:10 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1446 on: February 13, 2020, 07:13:27 PM »
Ford Europe are lobbying for a rethink on the 2032-35 date for banning the sale of ICE and Hybrid cars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51485912

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #1447 on: February 14, 2020, 09:54:28 AM »
I looked at the National Grid's plan to charge electric cars.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/document/125116/download

"Recommendation 1
..... Driving the Transition’, we believe the Government should prioritise the
rollout of a ‘national network of ultra-rapid EV chargers’.
Recommendation 2
Vehicle Act, the Government should designate, in 2019,
which MSA sites should be part of a minimal viable network
of ultra-rapid chargers, to ensure there is adequate time to
deliver the required electricity network infrastructure, and
ensure EV targets are achieved
"

That was before the target was brought forward...
And the 2019 date has not bene met..

So lots of words: and NO action..

BBB  (Bullshit baffles brains)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1448 on: February 17, 2020, 06:27:44 AM »
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/80mph-motorway-speed-limit-could-be-on-the-way-thanks-to-electric-cars/

I cannot think of a vehicle less likely to do 80+ on a motorway ( but we all know people will take it as a signal that they can now do 90 or 100 MPH - because people do 80  now and police turn a blind eye ).

Every test and review of BEV that I have read says the same thing, the range plummets to about 60% when you take a BEV onto the motorway at 70mph, add in cold weather and a wet road and you are now down to maybe 50%.... And as the RAC says,  70mph is about safety,  cars may be better but drivers certainly aren't...

So will we have a line of BEV in inside lane doing 50 because the driver has galloping range anxiety and the other lanes doing 90 ? Add lorries into the mix (still overtaking another lorry at 1mph ) and I cannot think of a more dangerous scenario.

Is this the governments cack-handed way of promoting BEV with the promise of increase in speed limit carrot ?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:31:42 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1449 on: February 17, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
Tesla has been ordered to temporarily halt preparations for a car factory in Germany after environmentalists won a court injunction on Sunday.
They had been clearing forest land near Berlin, ahead of building its first European car and battery plant.
The court emphasised the injunction was temporary and subject to further hearings, probably this week.
Protesters say the factory is a threat to local wildlife and water supplies.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1450 on: February 17, 2020, 11:26:42 AM »
I just got round to watching last weeks "Top Gear". Chris Harris was testing the BEV Porsche Taycan Turbo S (yes "Turbo". Porsche now say "Turbo" means "Fast"). He was thrilled to bits with it. It costs an arm and a leg. And a kidney.
It is a four-door, four-seater, four-wheel drive, with 761 PS, 0-62 mph in 2.8 seconds (same as the Ariel Atom) and a 250-mile range. Just gone straight to the top of my "Lottery List".

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1451 on: February 26, 2020, 10:25:05 AM »
Government should either re-introduce the annual fuel duty rises and/or add an emissions surcharge on the annual VED to motivate the worst of the fuel guzzlers / polluters to get off the road.
Fuel duty rises would cripple me at the moment. We are forced into doing high mileages due to family circumstances and a sizeable rise in petrol prices would really knock my finances, living on a fixed income. Especially since my wife is unable to work at the moment.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #1452 on: February 26, 2020, 01:04:48 PM »
Government should either re-introduce the annual fuel duty rises and/or add an emissions surcharge on the annual VED to motivate the worst of the fuel guzzlers / polluters to get off the road.
Fuel duty rises would cripple me at the moment. We are forced into doing high mileages due to family circumstances and a sizeable rise in petrol prices would really knock my finances, living on a fixed income. Especially since my wife is unable to work at the moment.

Farm workers and other rural workers tend to drive older cars as their jobs are not well paid...but a car is essential to get to shops /work  - few rural bus services..

Taxing them out of their transport will have obvious effects .. most of them bad.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #1453 on: March 01, 2020, 04:44:50 PM »
If the money was there my next car would be a BEV. My mileage usage and journey lengths make one a viable proposition and I have a driveway/garage for ease of charging.
My short list is the Peugeot E208 or the new Honda-e. There is a basic Skoda that only charges off a normal 3-pin socket but that is what I would use anyway as I would charge the car overnight on the Economy7 cheap rate.
Servicing should be cheaper with no oil, filters, coolant but still a pollen filter of course.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1454 on: March 01, 2020, 06:20:04 PM »
There is a grant for installing a charge point so it is not worth not getting one. Charging from a 3-pin plug is doable but takes a long long time. The E208 would take about 17 hours for a full charge from a 13A socket.

Tags: