Author Topic: LIM symbol on multi-function display  (Read 26632 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: LIM symbol on multi-function display
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
The system is trying to keep you within the law, because the speed limit applies until you pass the sign.

Yes I do appreciate that!

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 02:30:26 PM »
You can always adjust the limit manually so that it lets you drive at a true 30 or whatever.  But you then have to do it again if it sees a repeater sign.  Life's a bit too short for all that I think!

Thanks, are you saying you can use the + button to make it go at 30 instead of 27 even in smart mode? I didn't try that, but it would be tiresome to do it each sign.

To answer my own question after trying out...it is as you say, you can tweak speed in smart LIM mode. Whats more it doesn't reset to 30 when its sees reminder speed signs in the same zone, but does start again at 30 next zone.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »
I can see the non-smart settable LIM might be useful on motorways. I find cruise control on motorways is a problem because of frequent need to adjust or cancel unless the motorway very clear.
Depends how you drive motorways I suppose. I find I can drive for hour after hour in lane one at around 60mph.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 03:23:23 PM »
The LIM speed can't be overridden by pushing hard on the accelerator. I floored it with no effect. Am I doing something wrong?
Pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor for a second or so will  cause the system to bleep and then allow you to break the speed limit.  It will continue flashing the limit (but not bleeping) until you again go below it and then you are back to it limiting you, helping to save children running into the road, cars coming out of drives etc. and possibly your licence.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
The LIM speed can't be overridden by pushing hard on the accelerator. I floored it with no effect. Am I doing something wrong?
Pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor for a second or so will  cause the system to bleep and then allow you to break the speed limit.  It will continue flashing the limit (but not bleeping) until you again go below it and then you are back to it limiting you, helping to save children running into the road, cars coming out of drives etc. and possibly your licence.

Thanks. I know that is what it supposed to do and since posting before I have tired it four times and only once did it let me accelerate, and then there seemed to be quite a delay. Will try some more times. 

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 04:23:44 PM »
Given the speed limiter's weakness that it can't be permanently calibrated to true road speed, the alternative which I used on my Mk 3 Jazz was the speed alarm which gives a modest beep each time the vehicle accelerated through 30 mph (which can be adjusted). I found that to be useful because of the car's willingness to put on a few revs (CVT version) when pulling away from lights, roundabouts, etc and quickly exceed a 30 mph limit.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »
Given the speed limiter's weakness that it can't be permanently calibrated to true road speed, the alternative which I used on my Mk 3 Jazz was the speed alarm which gives a modest beep each time the vehicle accelerated through 30 mph (which can be adjusted). I found that to be useful because of the car's willingness to put on a few revs (CVT version) when pulling away from lights, roundabouts, etc and quickly exceed a 30 mph limit.
Not sure what you mean here John and how your solution is any different to the LIM (either road sign recognition or manual).  As far as I am aware, they are all, including the alarm and cruise control, calibrated to the speedometer.  How else could you do it, other than GPS?  Perhaps you are not aware that if the manual limiter was last used at 30, when you engage it again (assuming it has not recently seen a speed limit sign to the contrary) it will resume set at 30.  That's what I do when I leave home on every journey.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »
Not sure what you mean here John and how your solution is any different to the LIM (either road sign recognition or manual).  As far as I am aware, they are all, including the alarm and cruise control, calibrated to the speedometer.  How else could you do it, other than GPS?  Perhaps you are not aware that if the manual limiter was last used at 30, when you engage it again (assuming it has not recently seen a speed limit sign to the contrary) it will resume set at 30.  That's what I do when I leave home on every journey.

John is referring the completely independent alert system which bleeps when you go through set speeds. It doesn't regulate or control the car speed at all, and can be used in parallel with LIM. I also have mine set to bleep at 30, but wasn't aware of what John said that it can be fine tuned to say 33mph.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2017, 10:16:35 PM »

John is referring the completely independent alert system which bleeps when you go through set speeds. It doesn't regulate or control the car speed at all, and can be used in parallel with LIM. I also have mine set to bleep at 30, but wasn't aware of what John said that it can be fine tuned to say 33mph.
Yeah I know what it does.  There are two of them, I only use one and have that set to 74.  But I didn't understand the weakness of the limiter John was referring to.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2017, 11:14:00 PM »

Yeah I know what it does.  There are two of them, I only use one and have that set to 74.  But I didn't understand the weakness of the limiter John was referring to.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 11:18:07 PM »

I think he just meant that the smart LIM setting can't be permanently adjusted to work at a true 30 (or 40 etc), whereas the speed alarm can (which is news to me but you and John have both said it, so tomorrow I am going to set my speed alarm to 33).

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 08:22:09 AM »
I think he just meant that the smart LIM setting can't be permanently adjusted to work at a true 30 (or 40 etc), whereas the speed alarm can (which is news to me but you and John have both said it, so tomorrow I am going to set my speed alarm to 33).
That's what it says in my HR-V manual which is very similar to the Jazz manual in this respect. It's something I set once and then never revisited.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
... tomorrow I am going to set my speed alarm to 33.
Remember it will sound as you accelerate through the set speed. So if you set it to a speed you actually intend to drive at, it will sound frequently as your speed inevitably varies up and down slightly, which you might find a little annoying. Personally I find it useful to set it at an indicated 30 knowing that's a bit below actual road speed so that it warns me when I'm about to exceed actual 30 (and the second alarm is set so that I get warned when I'm about to exceed 70). After it's sounded I know I need to keep a check on speed, ie I drive normally.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »
Thanks, valid points....will experiment.

Tags:

anything