Author Topic: My wishlist for Jazz Mk3 revision  (Read 29509 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: My wishlist for Jazz Mk3 revision
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 05:14:25 PM »
I think the sound meter will measure the average sound energy level over a short period of time.  The proximity alarm is intermittent, with more silence than sound, so the alarm effect is substantially greater than the sound meter would suggest.  It is very clearly audible above normal speech on the radio.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »
It is very clearly audible above normal speech on the radio.

As are mine, you must have either a defective alarm noisemaker or ears.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 07:59:07 PM »
It's all well and good saying they are quiet and having a db meter app tell you how loud something is. But at what frequency is it being measured at
Not relevant. It is quieter than two people holding a normal conversation. Hence why I consider that wishing it were louder seems reasonable.
It is very clearly audible above normal speech on the radio.
I don't listen to conversations on the radio. I listen to music and music utilises a broader and more complex range of frequencies. It also has fewer quiet gaps in which a quieter sound could be heard. Differentiating a relative quiet 'beep beep' from louder music is not easy. Personally I wish Honda hadn't bothered with it all and had reduced the purchase price of the car instead. But if we have to have a proximity alarm then it should at least be clearly audible. So whilst it's not on my personal wishlist it's a suggestion that I agree with, making it a bit louder would be an improvement to the Jazz.

[paragraph removed by Admin - 11.24 23/10/16]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:24:42 AM by RichardA »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 09:10:30 PM »
I run my radio at volume 10, you are never in any doubt of a proximity alarm sounding.

guest6316

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 06:49:59 AM »
I run my radio at volume 10, you are never in any doubt of a proximity alarm sounding.

I to run my radio and CD player between 10-12 volume setting, proximity alarms are easily discernible.

For me if I needed the radio to be any louder I would certainly take steps to get my hearing checked out.
No doubt we have all pulled up behind someone and listened to their music above all the surrounding traffic noise, they cannot be aware of anything going on around them can they?

[/quote]Yes, why not? Either the proximity alarms are worth hearing or else they are a stupid gimmic that 'Mr Honda' should not have bothered adding to the vehicle and that we should not have been forced to pay for.
[/quote]

I often drive my sons' Toyota and the sensors on that operate at the same noise level as my Jazz, which leads me to suggest that its probably no different to other cars proximity sensors.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
Louder proximity warnings are a good idea. Mine go mental when I drive into my garage but sometimes I can't hear them over the radio.

I am not suggesting that you drive into your garage at high speed but have you checked the setting of the auto speed volume control?

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2016, 04:10:16 PM »
Louder proximity warnings are a good idea. Mine go mental when I drive into my garage but sometimes I can't hear them over the radio.

I am not suggesting that you drive into your garage at high speed but have you checked the setting of the auto speed volume control?
They've been left at the default. I'm not listening to loud music. I play music such that it's below the level of normal conversation. The problem is that the proximity alarms are even quieter, probably exacerbated by them being short and mostly high frequency.

And I still think some of you are getting too worked up about this. It's a wishlist. Just some things that some of us would like to see done differently. Arguing about whether the alarms are loud enough is like starting an argument because someone's list included wanting a pink steering wheel. It's not a criticism - just a personal observation. If some of you have better hearing acuity then good for you. I'm a bit surprised because I had my ears tested earlier this year and they were fine apart from a congenital issue that has no bearing here.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:23:13 PM by andruec »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2016, 08:24:46 PM »
Actually I have another item to add to my wishlist:

* Independent volume levels for each source.

I used my satnav for the first time yesterday with my new phone. Unfortunately the volume level it produces over Bluetooh is a lot lower than my iPod over USB. So when I switched back to the iPod I was nearly deafened. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can change the iPod volume when it's connected by USB :-/

DaveBerks

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ Mk4 Crosstar EX
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2016, 11:06:18 PM »
Only 600 miles on the clock but I notice how hard the suspension is over bad potholes and seams at slowish speeds.

For a car designed for the older driver this seems an odd characteristic as it is fine on good surfaces and very comfortable.  The 16 inch wheels may make a difference of course. BUT is it really designed for the older driver ?

I don't think so.  The car has big market in Asia where it is popular with young drivers. So sportier suspension
and excellent cornering make sense. Indeed i have started to throw it about a bit, something i would never have done in my previous soft suspension Corolla which seemed less grippy when cornering.

I also like the higher driving position in the Jazz..

So change the suspension to a softer setting ?  Not sure !

guest6316

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 05:13:36 AM »
Your right the suspension is not as soft as other makes, but my previous car to the EX was a 1.4Si and you felt everything in that. So for me the comfort factor has gone up, however om some of the Kent roads you still know you've done the journey so to speak.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 08:28:59 AM »
Only 600 miles on the clock but I notice how hard the suspension is over bad potholes and seams at slowish speeds.
Lol, you should have tried the Mk2 or Mk1 Sport. The Mk3 is quite a bit better in that respect.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »
For a car designed for the older driver this seems an odd characteristic ... BUT is it really designed for the older driver ?
Don't think that's the case. The Jazz seems to have had an image problem in the UK as an "old people's car", but I can't think of any logical reason why that should be so or any specific design intent on Honda's part to aim only at that market. In fact the only TV advert I've seen seems to emphasise the active lifestyle of the target market. If anything I suspect the generation old enough to qualify for a bus pass (not me, yet!) may be put off by the complexity of the touch screen.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
The car has big market in Asia where it is popular with young drivers.

Also the USA, the UK is a tiny market in comparison, big changes for us would not be cost effective so are unlikely. In general we get what the main markets want.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »
The EX is worse in this respect than the S or SE because the bigger wheels have skinnier tyres so there is less flexible rubber between the car and the road. I've failed, so far, to understand why the manufacturers (not just Honda) think this is a good idea.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 09:06:06 AM »
Smaller wheels was one reason that I bought an SE. I have been down the big wheel, low profile tyre route, rarely as comfortable as smaller wheels.

Tags: