Author Topic: Headlight adjuster motor running randomly  (Read 5439 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Headlight adjuster motor running randomly
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 05:04:04 PM »
So turn ignition on and the noise happens for 5 secondsish,
When I turn on the ignition, the fuel pump runs for about 5 seconds, as it charges up the fuel pressure. I hear that noise.
However, I have never been aware of the adjuster motor sound, mind you, I have never listened for it.

steveha

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Jazz ES
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 05:54:39 PM »
The behaviour you describe is "normal" and mine is like that a lot of the time. However, mine also does random whirring with no recent switch tweaking. In the recording in my original post, I hadn't touched the switch for at least a minute.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 05:57:14 PM »
The behaviour you describe is "normal" and mine is like that a lot of the time. However, mine also does random whirring with no recent switch tweaking. In the recording in my original post, I hadn't touched the switch for at least a minute.
I realise that. Molly, however, may be worrying about nothing.

guest7483

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 06:21:22 PM »
I realise that. Molly, however, may be worrying about nothing.

I gave up worrying about it when I realised it wasn't critical :) Before then though I was thinking ot could be all sorts. :)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 10:38:05 PM »
Is it possible to hear the headlight adjuster motors when the car is moving and the engine running? I presume they are in the headlight fittings so there's an engine between them and the driver. If the engine is running how easy is it to hear the motors when the adjuster switch is operated?

The conclusive evidence that it's the headlight adjuster motors running is the beam directions moving during night driving.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

steveha

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 01:39:02 AM »
Yes, it is possible to hear the adjusters when the car is moving under power. I suspect that at high revs, the sound will be masked.
No, the engine isn't between them and the driver. If you take a look at http://ukcar.reviews/wp-content/uploads/Honda_Jazz_2011/honda-jazz-2011_03.jpg you can see that the rear of the headlight assemblies (where the motor is) is quite a long way back, quite close to the back of the dashboard.
With the engine running, it is quite easy to hear the motors with the engine working moderately hard. I have not tried at 70mph :-)

Thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 10:14:55 AM »
I am pleased to report that on my Mk 1 Jazz the headlamp adjuster motor is inaudible with the engine running, even at tick over. With the engine off you can just make it out going from 0 to 3, but is again inaudible returning from 3 - 0. Only the lights moving lets you know they are working. The motors are, however, well forward on the Mk 1 Jazz.
Gave me something to do on a quiet morning!

steveha

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 02:01:30 PM »
Thanks very much for your input on this Jocko!  :) I think I now have a good understanding of what's going on.

1. Googling around, other cars/makes have similar problems. It's fairly rare - although Hyundai did a recall some years back
2. I used to have a Civic that very occasionally did a one-off whirr - I  just assumed it was some random actuator and didn't investigate. The Civic's adjuster was audible when used.
3. The Wheatstone Bridge circuit is inherently sensitive - traditionally it was used to measure resistance very precisely.  I would expect it to be quite jittery in response to various minor circuit problems
4. Lots of headlight adjustment motors on various cars may be operating unnoticed
- Because their mechanicals are naturally quiet
- Because they are further away from the driver
- Because the systems are only powered up when the lights are on.

steveha

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 12:14:38 AM »
Ok, a wash-up on this.

1. With the "new" switch, I notice the motors running perhaps once every 100 miles which is much less frequent than before.
2. Seems highly likely that the switch is the issue
3. Will the "excessive" running of the motors lead to early failure? Perhaps not. Looking at various circuit diagrams, it looks like the headlight motor may be common to models with HID lights and auto-levelling.  Such models would be adjusting the headlights all the time in hilly districts.
4. So I'm going to ignore it unless it changes.
5. If you get the issue of both motors running together (approximately), consider replacing the switch.

guest7483

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 06:47:58 PM »
I have to say since I wangled the switch up and down a lot I haven't heard a thing, but I shall consider a new switch if anything changes.

Tags: