Author Topic: Which Jazz?- 2008/2009  (Read 2026 times)

jenlen

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz
Which Jazz?- 2008/2009
« on: November 14, 2019, 11:31:36 PM »
I'm undecided whether to buy a low mileage (45K) April 2008 Jazz or a 2nd generation 2009 Jazz with s higher mileage (79K). Can anybody help please? Thankyou, Jenlen

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Which Jazz?- 2008/2009
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 07:28:15 AM »
Welcome. 79K is still low mileage. Approx 8K per year. What one do you prefer the look of? I have a Mk 1 (2006) with 121K on the clock, and love it. 45K is extremely low miles, and older low mileage cars have often suffered from regular short journeys where they never get fully warmed up.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 08:00:16 AM »
Go for a post 2008 model. The 2002-2008 also is prone to having its CAT being stolen. High mileage is ok as long as it has a complete service history with all the receipts.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 08:37:19 AM »
I've got a 2008 Mk1 but I'd go for a Mk2 if I could. 79k isn't that high mileage. As I understand it they sorted a few reliability issues as well as the Mk2 being quieter, more space, more goodies etc. 

That's assuming there's no major differences. I've a neighbour who finds his 1.2 Mk2 a bit under-powered compared to his 1.4 Mk1. Whereas the 1.4 Mk2 iVtec engine has more go with at least as good economy.

Is there anything the Mk1 has which the Mk2 doesn't and you can't live without? For me it's air con - I go places with dogs a lot and they couldn't have coped with last summer's heatwave.

Then there's my general rules for buying second hand. First sit in them, drive them, go for the one you like. Second avoid anything which looks like it's had a hard life, go for a car that seems to have had some TLC. You can't always tell but did you know you can look up the MOT history here https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Good luck
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »
We have both, a late mk1 (2008), and a mk2 car.

The mk2 is a nicer car, and looks more modern, particularly the interior - but on closer inspection, the materials used on the mk2 are inferior. Some of the plastics used are quite thin, and it just doesn't feel as robust as the mk1. Silly things like the extending roller boot cover on the mk1, which was replaced with a flimsy folding flat thing, which feels really cheap and nasty. The seats in our 170,000 mile mk1 looks like new, I don't think the mk2 will make anywhere near that mileage without showing some wear, although they are a bit more supportive and a slightly better shape. A few other nice touches disappeared on the mk2, like the levers on the top of the front seats to move them forward from the back.

That said, the mk2 is a nicer and more relaxed car to drive. Although it is in many ways very similar, it is a bit quieter with better isolation from road noise, and the improved steering makes a big difference. The steering on the mk1 has always been a problem, assistance is poor, and it feels reluctant to centre at low speeds. The mk2 feels much more 'normal' and modern, much sharper, with better assistance and less turns lock to lock. The mk1 is fine when you get used to it, but the feel of the mk2 is much better.

Although the mk2 is slightly bigger, it doesn't feel any more spacious inside, and the boot is a slightly less useful shape - I think it's a bit deeper, but not quite as wide. If you go for a mk1, look for a SE which has better spec - alloy wheels, 4 elec windows, rear speakers, and most importantly, aircon.

The mechanical build quality is about the same on the two cars, and most of the mechanicals are very similar. The problems some people have with notchy steering on the mk1 seem to have been fixed with the mk2 set up. The ABS modulator, another common mk1 failure which often resulted in an expensive replacement, is now fitted with a much bigger motor unit, so hopefully that should last. The 2008 mk1 cars were built in China, the mk2 cars here in Swindon, if that makes any difference to you.

The 1.4 i-DSI engine in the mk1 feels more tractable at low revs than the 1.4 16V V-TEC in the mk2, but runs out of puff when extended. The 16V V-TEC engine in the mk2 certainly doesn't feel as nippy around town, but comes into it's own when you can get the revs up. MPG is about the same, maybe a fraction better on the mk2, and tax on our mk2 is a band lower for the same engine size, £20 cheaper. Insurance is about the same.

As I said, the two cars are very similar. I asked the other half, who drives the Jazz full time, which she preferred - she said she would go for whichever was in the best condition, so really, she likes them both. Personally, I think there are a few points which swing it for the mk2 - the more modern looking interior, exterior, better options, and the improved steering.

Sorry it's a bit long winded, but I think that's about it. Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:52:01 PM by sparky Paul »

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 12:19:20 PM »

Having owned both, Mk2 for me as well.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »

Having owned both, Mk2 for me as well.

I would like mk2 with the mk1 twin spark engine ( which fits in better with Jazz as an urban car ) and boot space, for some reason on subsequent models the boot keeps shrinking......

I am with Sparky Paul on the idsi twin spark engine being a lot easier to drive around town as it is much more tractable than the vtec.  As for steering the mk1 was an early iteration of EPS and was underpowered and drew <40 amps, the mk2 steering draws 60 amps IIRC...  so you need to keep a decent battery on mk2..  and the roller blind boot cover on mk1 much better than the one on mk2.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:47:57 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything