Author Topic: New Honda Owner: Can you advise on these couple of questions please?  (Read 1871 times)

Philno

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk 3 SE 2018 manual Sunset Orange
Hi Everyone

This is my first Honda ( 2018 Jazz Mark 3 SE Manual Drive Sunset Orange)

I have read that  Honda paint can be quite thin and delicate and maybe you need to treat the cars carefully when cleaning them.
So before I wash my car for the first time and rub of the top layer (!!) can you recommend which brand/type of shampoo/polish I should be using based on your experiences?

Replacing Light Bulbs: I'm thinking ahead here, for when it should happen!

Do you have to take the car to bits to change say a halogen headlight bulb?

I've seen on Halfords website that they can replace and fit new bulbs for you and give the total price when you enter the car registration number.
How have you had you bulbs replaced?

I'd love to hear about your experience/opinions on this subject. Having fully working lights is a legal requirement, but
somehow the car manufacturers have wriggled around the regulations and made it very difficult for us to do a simple job on most modern cars! There's no wonder you see loads of cars at night driving around with defective headlights.

Gone are the days when you just could get out a new spare bulb and replace it in 10 minutes with plenty of room for your hands!
If I had it my way I would make the manufacturers/dealers replace them for just the cost of the new bulb with no labour charges for fitting. It will never happen so I need to get back to reality!!!!

RANT OVER! I've turned into Victor Meldrew!

Love this Forum!

Best Regards to all

Phil

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: New Honda Owner: Can you advise on these couple of questions please?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 11:36:02 AM »
Replacing Light Bulbs: I'm thinking ahead here, for when it should happen!

Do you have to take the car to bits to change say a halogen headlight bulb?

The mk3 isn't too bad to change the headlight bulbs, probably one of the easier Jazz models.

I suspect the proliferation of duff headlights on the roads is not just down to some cars being particularly awkward to replace, the mk1 Jazz and various Renaults excel in this respect, but primarily because many drivers just can't be bothered to fix it, or get it fixed.

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 11:58:35 AM »
Thanks Paul

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 02:07:15 PM »
Regarding washing the car, make sure you remove bird droppings the moment you see them. I use Dodo Juice Low On Eau Rinseless Wash, but I recently started washing it with my newly acquired pressure washer using Bilt Hamber Auto Foam.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 02:28:12 PM »
We are not allowed to wash cars in our apartment block car park, so I rely on heavy rain and the odd drive-in car wash, with no paint problems to date. In 13 years and over 100,000 miles of Jazz ownership (two cars) I have never needed to replace a light bulb. Reliability is one of the joys of the Jazz!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 03:16:25 PM »
It's a Honda. Don't over think things. That is the beauty of the brand.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 04:16:55 PM »
In 13 years and over 100,000 miles of Jazz ownership (two cars) I have never needed to replace a light bulb. Reliability is one of the joys of the Jazz!

I had to replace both of the headlight bulbs on our mk2 within 6 months of each other, both the original Osrams. Replacement cheapies have been soldiering on just fine since.

BTW, the Halfords site gives you a price for bulb replacement on every car you put in - it's up to the individual branch whether they will actually take the job on.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 04:22:07 PM by sparky Paul »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 04:27:13 PM »
Japanese cars do tend to have softer paint than, say, German models but it's not something to stress over. Use a dedicated car shampoo as opposed to washing up liquid and you'll be fine. Wash Mitts with a woolly or microfibre pile are safer than sponges and a microfibre drying towel a bit better than a chamois. As Jocko says there are also no rinse options like Low on Eau and Optimum No Rinse. I've been using the latter for several years now and it doesn't damage the paint and uses far less water. I do occasionally crack out the hose to give the underside a bit of a blast when we have had salt on the roads.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 06:15:07 PM »
Washing up liquid = argh

It contains salt and is a good way of introducing tiny scratches and removing the top layer.
Let's be careful out there !

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 06:34:35 PM »
Thanks all for this useful info

Phil

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 06:36:05 PM »
Agree about washing up liquid, don't do it.

Personally I use Autoglym Bodywork shampoo. Wet the car with a hose first (I don't use a pressure washer), use luke-warm water/shampoo mix with a bodywork brush (I use a Muc-off version, others available, rubber body and soft bristles). A brush generally won't trap dirt particles and scratch like a sponge will. Rinse off with the hose.
If I'm feeling keen I'll chamois/microfibre dry it but often just go for a drive to dry out the brakes etc.

I usually wax a car maybe once a year in autumn to give it some protection for winter (Autoglym again).

My 21yr old Yaris still looks shiny bright using this technique.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 07:08:54 PM »
My Mk2 Jazz has had a hard life as a driving school car, I have washed the car with supermarket mechanical car washes, hand car washes, car shampoo and washing up liquid, pressure washers and without, the paint is fine.
Headlight bulbs last forever, but I have found the sidelights are the first to go, and are easily replaced by Halfords at £5 fitting charge + cost of the bulb, very handy if you have large hands  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 07:42:46 PM »
We had the dealer applied 'diamond brite' ( or whatever ) on our cars ( both a couple of years old from a Honda dealer ) and it has been fine for many, many years,  a good shower of rain or a simple garden hose brush and shampoo stick will clean the cars even after 6 years +.  So I really never clean our cars and they look fine, still a good depth of shine - I think we paid about £200 for the Jazz to get done ( White Orchid Pearl, a surprisingly pragmatic colour, it hardly shows the dirt ),  and on the Civic the dealer threw it in FOC - so in my experience the claims made for the professionally  applied nano finishes are true, and not just sales hype.   I do use  AutoGlym bumper care on exterior plastic like scuttle, along side window seals and roof trims and it still beads up rain after months,  and keeps plastic smear free.

I have made a habit of using AutoGlym super resin polish on headlight covers about once a month ( when I think about it ) , and they are still clear as crystal .

Ask 100 people the best way to look after car paint and you will get 100 different answers, many involving expensive potions and arcane methods of application.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: