Author Topic: Dealing with the MOT?  (Read 549 times)

Si Crewe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Jazz S
Dealing with the MOT?
« on: November 15, 2020, 08:15:55 PM »
I hope this doesn't come across as "entitled" or "first-world problems", but anyway...

I passed my bike test when I was 17 and my car test a year later.
I've always had at least a motorbike and a car - often a couple of cars and/or a van and, after I got married, his & hers cars.

This year has, to be blunt, completely knocked me on my arse.
At the start of the year I found I'd lost my life-savings and was penniless and then Covid hit and the Chinese company I worked for stopped answering the phone.

I had to sell my motorbike and the missus sold her car, replacing it with "our" Honda Jazz.
I still have a Discovery 2 but it's SORNed cos the tax and insurance is expensive (and, frankly, I couldn't sell it for a fraction of what it's worth).

The Jazz's MOT expires next February and I find myself wondering how one-car-households deal with MOT time?

The Jazz is going to need some work for the MOT but that shouldn't be a problem.
My biggest concern is how I'm going to get to work for the day/days that the Jazz is in the garage.

Do people get their cars MOT'ed at garages that provide courtesy cars?
Do they hire cars for a week, while their own car is in the garage?
Do they just have friends who can lend them a car?

I know this might sound like the dumbest question ever but, after 30+ years of driving, this is the first time I've ever not had a 2nd vehicle that I can use while my daily-driver's getting MOT'ed.

+EDIT+

I should say, I currently have a 30 mile commute to work, which is in the middle of nowhere, and I have to haul PPE and tools back & forth so a bicycle/scooter or public transport are non-starters.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:19:54 PM by Si Crewe »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Dealing with the MOT?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 08:27:24 PM »
I am in a similar situation with my MOT due just before Christmas. In the past, I have never had an issue. If a car required work is done, I would bus it. However, my wife is recovering from Cancer and was shielding during the lockdown. She has now returned to work at the local hospital, and they are cautious to keep her away from people as much as possible. The problem is, I drive her to and from work every day, and if I do not have the car, neither of us feel it is safe for her to take the bus or even a taxi. I have already looked at hiring a car for a few days, and I am pleased to say that the smallest car (Aygo) is not too expensive to hire

Tags:

anything