Author Topic: From a frv to a jazz  (Read 7893 times)

guest5107

From a frv to a jazz
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »
Hello all, found this site by pure chance, please bear with me if I seem a bit long winded and  confused.
As the title says, I'm looking at changing my superb honda frv 07 plate to a jazz 09. We have four children and have always needed a big motor, but now our older two are 18 and 17,and hardly ever travel anywhere with us it's time to look at something smaller and more economical. ;D we've set our sights on a jazz as we really want to stick with honda as the frv and the stream prior to that have been superb motors, as these two cars have all the little extras I really fancy the ex model...... But this is where my questions start, I am really concerned about the lack of a spare wheel, we travel to Cornwall three times a year so I don't fancy a tube of foam to help me out if the worst happened. Also the tyres size seems hard to find?  Is this true or am I worrying about nothing, if I get a spare is there a space for it in the boot? Apart from this would you guys all recommend this move I'm planning to take, as I say sorry to go on but I really need to be 100% before I part with my faultless frv. Many thanks in advance. Gary. (Warwickshire)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: From a frv to a jazz
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
There is a space for a spacesaver spare wheel in the boot as it is a Honda accessory.
I bought one off EBay for about £65. This does not include a means of securing it to the floor but I have wedged mine in with old towels and it doesn't move about or bounce up and down when the boot is empty.
I am on my fourth Jazz and can highly recommend them and have never had a problem finding new tyres for them.

Vic.

bucksfizz

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »
I have a 1.3 EX Jazz and I couldn't adjust to a situation where I had to rely on a tube of 'Gunk' in the event of a puncture.In any case I understand that use of the gunk renders the tyre unusable for any longer term use.I searched  around the car scrap yards and eventually found an EX wheel and tyre which now fits comfortably in the wheel well secured by the Honda bolt .Peace of mind now for all my motoring!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
You can do as I do and buy an unused Rover 200/25 spare which is an exact fit. £30 on ebay.

I bought a bolt/locking washer from local Honda dealer   c £15..

Or a new one from Honda for c £160 plus locking bracket/bolt.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
I purchased a 175 65 R 15 84H tyre and 15” steel wheel from mytyres and it fits fine with the flexible boot floor flat. The hanging basket does not fully hang down but that’s fine and is very useable. The only point where the flexible boot floor does not fit is when it is raised and folded vertically! The rear retaining clip does not quite sit in the slot. The rubber on the tyre sits a little too high but only on the off side. This is a pretty esoteric setting. I don’t think this setting would generally be used anyway and I cannot see that I would use it. So that is fine too! I have left the carpet and the under carpet polystyrene filler in place, so without those it may even fit perfectly.

I purchased the wheel and fitted tyre through mytyres.co.uk which was also fine although I won’t buy a set of tyres from them. Firstly, their prices change daily. When I searched the set was £83.50 delivered, the next day I purchased at £89.00 (+ 6.5%), the following day they were 85.30. My luck! You can get cash back ordering through topcashback.co.uk Communication with mytyres is by template response which is underwhelming! The main thing that concerned me is that they delivered a higher spec than I wished. I ordered 175 65 R 84 H. They delivered 88 H XL which is a much higher Load Rating. OK for this purpose. I wouldn’t like to risk this variation for a regular set of tyres.

So the result is a full size spare and clamp (ex Honda) for £105 rather than a space saver from Honda for £190. I know this cost is more than the Rover 25 space saver route but the tyre is new (date code 2114) rather than an old (year 2002) tyre probably past its useful life now and certainly by when I plan to sell the car in 10 years!. Also the rolling circumference with the full size steel wheel is exact rather the Rover space saver which is a little small.

To round it off, I purchased an excellent wheel bag from http://www.autogas-lpg.co.uk/37-spare-wheel-bag-lpg for +/- £10 delivered (or try dkmotors1 on ebay) into which I placed the spare and into which I can place the dirty tyre if/ when taken off the car. Also plenty of space for storing those important bits and piece!

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 06:51:34 PM »
A space saver with it's kit was just one of the things negotiated and throw in for free with the dealer when I bought my Jazz brand new.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:09:51 PM by Hobo »

guest5107

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the replys. From what I've read it seems the hard to find tyre is only on the ex model as that's a 16". But anyway that's the model I have my sights on, a 58-59 plate, this model looks superb,especially the panoramic roof. In terms of reliability would you all say it's a safe move going from this from my current frv. I looked on what car/ auto express sites and some folk slated the jazz, my you if you read every cars review you would probably never buy anything.  ;D it seems EVERY make /model has faults. Many thanks, gary

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:01:03 PM »
I'd trust the Which? members http://www.which.co.uk/cars/honda-jazz/ who consistently put the Jazz at or close to the top of the annual car survey more than I trust the motoring press. I recall reading press reviews complaining about the wind noise and have to presume that they didn't have the gumption to shut the window completely.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »
The FRV is an excellent Honda, the Jazz is an excellent Honda.
The magazines you mention don't like a Jazz because it is not German, and Honda don't bung the journalists.

I will be corrected if I am mistaken ,but the standard spacesaver 2008 - 2014 will fit an EX Jazz, because the rolling radius and diameter will be almost identical between 15" and 16" wheels, the tyre sidewall height will change, that is all.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »
I have a 1.3 EX Jazz and I couldn't adjust to a situation where I had to rely on a tube of 'Gunk' in the event of a puncture.In any case I understand that use of the gunk renders the tyre unusable for any longer term use.I searched  around the car scrap yards and eventually found an EX wheel and tyre which now fits comfortably in the wheel well secured by the Honda bolt .Peace of mind now for all my motoring!

This is exactly what I have done. It is a perfect fit in the boot and gives great peace of mind and , no I have bot needed to use it so far.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 09:07:58 PM »
Thanks for the replys. From what I've read it seems the hard to find tyre is only on the ex model as that's a 16". But anyway that's the model I have my sights on, a 58-59 plate, this model looks superb,especially the panoramic roof. In terms of reliability would you all say it's a safe move going from this from my current frv. I looked on what car/ auto express sites and some folk slated the jazz, my you if you read every cars review you would probably never buy anything.  ;D it seems EVERY make /model has faults. Many thanks, gary

Unbeatable as far as I am concerned. You cannot go wrong.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
The magazines tend to moan that Honda's are boring. I think this is only because they are reliable so they have nothing to complain about, hence no magazine article.

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »
The magazines tend to moan that Honda's are boring. I think this is only because they are reliable so they have nothing to complain about, hence no magazine article.

No you are so wrong  :P

It's because you have more brains in you big toe than the average car tester has in his head... :o

guest4818

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 02:02:22 PM »
If Hondas are that reliable why don't they give 5 year warranty or do they.

madasafish

• Approved Member

Tags:

anything