Author Topic: A fond farewell to the Silver Tardis ....  (Read 22554 times)

nigelr

• Approved Member
  • 'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'
  • Fuel economy: 45 mpg
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES
A fond farewell to the Silver Tardis ....
« on: February 08, 2024, 02:22:11 PM »
After 6 reliable years, my 11 year old Jazz has been retired. I got back a good chunk of what I paid for it, too.

It's been totally reliable, never failed to start. I've moved house in it, and helped friends do the same. It's ferried unbelievable items (double mattresses, building waste, mountain bikes, all manner of stuff), and run up and down the highways and byways without complaint.

Final MPG 46 mpg over 47,000 miles, mostly urban mileage.

Thanks, little buddy.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 04:11:23 PM by nigelr »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: A fond farewell to the Silver Tardis ....
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 05:19:38 PM »
Nice one. :D What a faithful little motor it has been for you, sterling service. Yeah, you'll miss it, but I'm sure it'll not be forgotten.

So, what have you replaced it with?

Twinkie

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk3
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 06:03:11 PM »
After 6 reliable years, my 11 year old Jazz has been retired. I got back a good chunk of what I paid for it, too.

It's been totally reliable, never failed to start. I've moved house in it, and helped friends do the same. It's ferried unbelievable items (double mattresses, building waste, mountain bikes, all manner of stuff), and run up and down the highways and byways without complaint.

Thanks, little buddy.

Why on earth did you sell it then,and what did you acquire in its place.

nigelr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 09:08:33 PM »
Nice one. :D What a faithful little motor it has been for you, sterling service. Yeah, you'll miss it, but I'm sure it'll not be forgotten.

So, what have you replaced it with?

Thanks Westy, I've got a nearly new Hyundai Ioniq, but I will definitely have another Jazz in the future. I've had four of them, so it's highly unlikely there won't be another!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 10:30:35 PM by nigelr »

nigelr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 09:09:27 PM »

Thanks, little buddy.

Why on earth did you sell it then,and what did you acquire in its place.

Because it's 11 years old and I need a car with a bigger boot to carry a wheelchair and walker together, at this point in time. I've gone for a Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, which I'm impressed with so far - Honda like solidity, and great room / practicality. But there will be another Jazz in the future, I'm sure.

I've bought a year old Ioniq, which is tremendous value and is unbelievably efficient and comfortable.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 03:34:27 PM by nigelr »

desthemoaner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC ES
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 09:46:39 AM »
We bought our 13 plate Jazz ES in 2018. I reckon it had been laid up for a while, because it only had 13k on the clock after 5 years and the tyre walls were cracking up through lack of use. A new set of tyres later and I was driving the best car we've ever owned.

It's carried what must amount to tons of garden rubbish and building waste to various tips over its lifespan, it's taken us on short journeys and long ones ( a recent trip from Wales to Scarborough and back) and it has never let us down apart from one incident with a dead battery during freezing weather.

During the six years of ownership I've had times when I've become fed up with being tailgated ( because other drivers seem to assume that if you're driving a Jazz, you must be a flat-capped codger whose engine is speed-governed to 30mph, even when you're going much faster) and discontented with the relatively limited interior space. But my searches for another car with similar capabilities have always ended with the feeling that I really can't do any better.

My Jazz has now done 52k after 11 years, so still pretty low mileage. I will definitely change it this year because I want something bigger, but like you, nigelr, I'll always look back with affection on my ownership of a truly great car.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 09:49:44 AM by desthemoaner »

nigelr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 03:33:12 PM »
We bought our 13 plate Jazz ES in 2018. I reckon it had been laid up for a while, because it only had 13k on the clock after 5 years and the tyre walls were cracking up through lack of use. A new set of tyres later and I was driving the best car we've ever owned.

It's carried what must amount to tons of garden rubbish and building waste to various tips over its lifespan, it's taken us on short journeys and long ones ( a recent trip from Wales to Scarborough and back) and it has never let us down apart from one incident with a dead battery during freezing weather.

During the six years of ownership I've had times when I've become fed up with being tailgated ( because other drivers seem to assume that if you're driving a Jazz, you must be a flat-capped codger whose engine is speed-governed to 30mph, even when you're going much faster) and discontented with the relatively limited interior space. But my searches for another car with similar capabilities have always ended with the feeling that I really can't do any better.

My Jazz has now done 52k after 11 years, so still pretty low mileage. I will definitely change it this year because I want something bigger, but like you, nigelr, I'll always look back with affection on my ownership of a truly great car.

Sounds like we've used the Jazz for similar things, and got fed up of the same maladies (i.e. tailgating BMW / Audi drivers.)

I highly recommend the Ioniq as a lot of car for the money, good turn of speed, 65mpg all day etc.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 05:13:34 PM »
Tailgating - just go slower.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 08:51:34 PM »
I expect the Hyundai is a lot more refined that the Jazz. It's Hyundai's version of a Prius I believe? Nice car. Ive seen a few used as Uber/taxi, so they must be reliable.

Re tailgating, to be honest, the car is irrelevant. Some people just do it by default because they are idiots. I used to get people tailgate me in speed limits when I was riding my Honda CBF1000! We ran an Octavia VRS (Golf GTi), and folk still tailgated that. Idiots.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 11:21:29 AM »
I too doubt tailgaters have the awareness and brains to target a particular model car.  But they do notice  when an old codger in a Jazz leaves them standing away from the traffic  lights because of the Mk4 's amazing instant Torque.  :P    Or rather I would imagine so   :-[  ;)

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzfan49

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 jazz 1.5 I-mmd SR Crystal Black
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 11:48:59 AM »
I too doubt tailgaters have the awareness and brains to target a particular model car.  But they do notice  when an old codger in a Jazz leaves them standing away from the traffic  lights because of the Mk4 's amazing instant Torque.  :P    Or rather I would imagine so   :-[  ;)

Yes and likewise wake em up when you use “B” mode and take your foot of the accelerator, I find most idiots tend to drop back or overtake or both.
 :o ;D

nigelr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 12:39:04 PM »
I expect the Hyundai is a lot more refined that the Jazz. It's Hyundai's version of a Prius I believe? Nice car. Ive seen a few used as Uber/taxi, so they must be reliable.

Re tailgating, to be honest, the car is irrelevant. Some people just do it by default because they are idiots. I used to get people tailgate me in speed limits when I was riding my Honda CBF1000! We ran an Octavia VRS (Golf GTi), and folk still tailgated that. Idiots.

It's a bit bigger and very comfortable. The independent suspension at the back helps the ride. The economy so far has been unbelievable. I would have had another Jazz, but I needed room for 3/4 people + wheelchair and walking frame in the boot. I'm sure I'll get another in the future.

I agree entirely about tailgating. Idiots are always going to be idiots. No need to join them.

Thanks Westy.

nigelr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 04:12:13 PM »

You're absolutely right, and yet I never, ever hung about on the motorway in ours, and it was a great car over distance. I once did a 470 mile journey in one go, and I got out fresh and ache-free. I'll miss that little Jazz.

Tags: