Author Topic: what goes ?  (Read 1378 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
what goes ?
« on: January 24, 2023, 07:46:19 PM »
I have a 2010 i-shift petrol, done 70k miles and has had nothing 'major' done from new apart from full service up to 40k, but nothin for the past 3 years apart from oil and filters, pads etc. Is there anything engine-wise I should be changing?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: what goes ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 08:22:10 PM »
I bought my Mk 1 with 87.4K on the clock and did a further 62.5K. All I did to the engine was change the oil and filters. it was as sweet as a nut when I bought it and it was still as sweet as a nut as it drove off for scrap. I believe the engine would have been good for another 150K if only the body had been.

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 08:21:21 AM »
No belts or chains to change then?

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 10:17:02 AM »
In the old days, you would buy a chain driven engine because the chain would last an entire engine lifetime. Since VAG started to use chains, they experienced many problems due to 'stretching of the chain'. They used lighter chains, which were just as good (or bad) as belts.
Honda still uses chains (except for some specific engines, such as the 1.0 for the Civic) which do not need any servicing.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 12:29:13 PM »
No belts or chains to change then?
Nothing to change.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 12:31:41 PM »
Since VAG started to use chains, they experienced many problems due to 'stretching of the chain'. They used lighter chains, which were just as good (or bad) as belts.
My 09 Fabia uses belts. A main belt from the crankshaft to the overhead camshaft and a second belt from that camshaft to the other.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 01:53:53 PM »
Our 2003 Toyota Yaris is on its original timing chain and all other drive belts are original and working well.

VW cut chain costs and their supplier used worn out tools. Which meant dirty oil from late oil changes screwed up chain clearances.

German engineering is grossly over-rated: most WW2 Tiger tanks failed in action - not from enemy action but from engine and/or gearbox and drivetrain failures.

Some UK police forces have stopped buying BMWs due to engine fires. (deaths have resulted from these_)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 03:15:48 PM »
Just had a price for getting my belts changed. £583. Think I will have to forgo it and take the risk.

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 03:01:05 PM »
Just had a price for getting my belts changed. £583. Think I will have to forgo it and take the risk.

Friggin £583 for a timing belt change?!?! It's less than 30 mins labor! Is it done by a multilingual, topless Ms. Fitness over there in the UK?!?!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 03:58:51 PM »
Škoda Fabia Service and maintenance prices 2020 (I thought Honda was expensive...  ??? )

Cambelt (from, mind... from... £ 449) every 5 years...

If nothing goes right, go left!

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 04:14:38 PM »
In the old days, you would buy a chain driven engine because the chain would last an entire engine lifetime. Since VAG started to use chains, they experienced many problems due to 'stretching of the chain'. They used lighter chains, which were just as good (or bad) as belts.
Honda still uses chains (except for some specific engines, such as the 1.0 for the Civic) which do not need any servicing.

1.0 litre Civic belts are failing. Local dealer says they are an absolute nightmare

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 04:21:46 PM »
Yes, I've seen 4 recent reports of Civic 10G 1 litre engines written off due to the rubber timing belt snapping prematurely.
Let's be careful out there !

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 04:27:27 PM »
When should the cam belt be changed on a Honda Jazz?
between 60,000 and 100,000 miles

However, the general timeline you'll want to follow is to replace your timing belt anywhere between 60,000 and 100,000 miles.

How Often Should The Serpentine Belt Be Replaced? Your Honda's serpentine belt is luckily a long-lasting belt that typically lasts about 100,000 miles.

Just this then.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 04:30:20 PM by coffeecup »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 06:14:51 PM »
When should the cam belt be changed on a Honda Jazz?
between 60,000 and 100,000 miles

CAM BELT  ?  HONDA JAZZ  ?

Then coffeecup must have a very, very special Jazz... :o
If nothing goes right, go left!

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 06:37:24 PM »

1.0 litre Civic belts are failing. Local dealer says they are an absolute nightmare

The "new" 1.0 126hp Turbos is a nightmare joke. Avoid at all cost. They are dumped here.
Also have a shitton "new" gadgets and sensors that go haywire if you just sneeze.

Tags: