Author Topic: Aftermarket CVT-F Fluid from Westway Lubricants  (Read 4576 times)

ados_cz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2008 mk1 1.4i dsi CVT
Aftermarket CVT-F Fluid from Westway Lubricants
« on: January 19, 2023, 06:46:21 PM »
Hi everyone. I bought quite well preserved, relatively low mileage at 59000, Honda Jazz mk1 2008 GE3 1.4i DSi CVT recently (reg: SM58 AFZ).

With original Honda CVT Fluid costing around £80 now I decided to try an aftermarket one I came across when searching for cvt fluid. It is basically half price of the original one, that is for 5 litres, and the business seems to be genuine. The fluid shipped really fast with DPD.

You can get it here - https://www.westwayoils.co.uk/products/cvt-f-fluid-suitable-for-honda-vehicles-honda-hmmf-fluid

Any thoughts before I drain the old one and pour this one in? Thanks everyone.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: Aftermarket CVT-F Fluid from Westway Lubricants
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 09:48:13 AM »
I hope it works out for you, but for the sake of £30-£35 extra every 2 years I personally wouldn't take the chance.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 05:06:45 PM »
Castrol do one as well:
NOT for Mark 1 CVT
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-197472-castrol-transmax-cvt-fully-synthetic-transmission-fluid.aspx

As do Mobil.

I”d be suspicious of the Westway fluid as it states that it is suitable for all Honda CVT’s which of course is unlikely to be correct as HCF-2 and CVT-F are both quite different so not sure how it replaces both?

BTW the OP has a MK1 but posted in MK2 section.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 08:21:00 PM »
Castrol specifically state their synthetic oil is unsuitable for the Mark 1 CVT clutches.

ados_cz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 09:12:42 PM »
I think I will call them to clarify etc.

ados_cz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 01:56:36 PM »
So I called Westway Oils moment ago, they have checked against my reg. and said ot is definitely right fluid for my CVT, that mechanics buy this one in bulk for Hondas and I should not be worried. So I will go for it and see what happens. I just really have first proper drive in the car yesterday and noticed that there was only very slight judder upon acceleration from stand still, did not noticed that upon test drive. Normally that would not bother me at all and if I was not focusing on that particular thing I might not have noticed at all.

Will report back after I change it and drive it bit more. Might be quite substantial savings if you want to do the full flush.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 06:24:54 PM »
Could get pretty expensive if it messes up your CVT...  :(
If nothing goes right, go left!

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 08:45:24 PM »
If you have any sign of judder you should do 2 flushes and a final fill which is recommended by Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ados_cz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 09:20:00 PM »
That would imply that I perhaps try this fluid from westway and if the judder disappears or does not get worse, then I do second flush. And then the final one too if deemed necessary.

I somehow trust the guy on the phone. I asked him, so are you 100% sure that this is not going ruin my CVT, that it has the starter clutch and Honda uses two different fluids for the mk1 cvt vs mk2 cvt and that Honda has its own branded CVT fluid. His reply basically was that Honda has the fluid produced for them too and that he is 100 sure that the fluid is the right one for mk1 and safe.

I am going to risk it. If it is not all that great would I notice any symptoms before any serious damage occurs? I will take it easy.

After the first partial flush is it enough to cycle or engage the transmision while stationary sitting on all wheels with foot on the brake? Just cycle through to drive modes, leaving it in ech mode (i.e. D or S) for certain amount of time? If yes, how long in each gear? Thank you.

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 09:39:20 PM »
This is what Westway state:

Liability

It is the buyer's responsibility to ensure that the goods are the fit for application. We cannot accept responsibility for additional charges or consequential loss incurred if a product does not fit or does not give the desired results. Our liability is limited to the price paid for the goods only.

ados_cz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 09:50:56 PM »
That is obviously general clause for many similar types of business endeavours. What if I find that it is really brilliant for Jazz mk1 CVTs and will do another 100k miles using this fluid.

I will be the trailblazer and save many folks lots of money. You cannot argue with £38 pounds for 5 litres if it is any good - given that by then not all mk1 cvts will be rusted to oblivion.

If it is going to be a massive disaster then I will be just another fool who wanted to save few quids. Will try to find the very actual oem number if there is any for CVT mk1 fluid. Because westway mentions few in their specs. They also use the term CVT-F which honda uses too.

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 09:55:48 PM »
Mobil also sell a CVT-F but it excludes Honda models with a starter clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2023, 12:26:09 PM »
Why take the risk?

ados_cz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 03:00:05 PM »
I don't perceive it as significant risk because I called them, gave them my REG and the guy sounded really knowledgeable. I suspect that a company who creates lubricants will have wast knowledge and expertise on what is wrong or right otherwise they would have be out of business already.

Honda does not make the fluid themselves, they have it made for them & just stick their logo on it. The listing list all the relevant specs. too & even claims that it surpasses the oem fluid in some respect.

Tags: