Author Topic: Very loud car - Jazz 2005 Auto  (Read 738 times)

Tarx

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2005 1.4
Very loud car - Jazz 2005 Auto
« on: January 18, 2023, 02:54:00 PM »
Hi all,

Long time lurker here, this forum has helped me with the infamous EGR valve issue (which for me turned out to be spark plugs causing loss of power/stalling) as well as multiple other issues. I now have a new problem with my old, trusty Jazz.

In a 2 hour window yesterday, it has gone from no issues, to being very loud. It is loud on start up, at idle, and especially under acceleration. If I get my speed up to say 60/70 and take my foot off of the accelerator, it is much quieter.

It's not a knocking sound, or a squeal - I can only liken it to sounding like a moped. Like I say, this was fine in the morning, then 2 hours later it was like this.

I have looked under the car and *think* the Cat is still present (I am a rookie when it comes to cars), I cannot see any wires hanging or signs of tampering. I have felt along the exhaust and feel no holes. I lifted the bonnet, and can hear it being louder, but would say the loudest point I can notice is underneath on the driver side.

Any ideas welcome! It has been suggested this could be a loose alternator cable (this was replaced about 3 months ago after it snapped mid drive). Other suggestions I have had is oil/coolant levels. Has anyone experienced similar and found a fix?

Thanks in advance!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Very loud car - Jazz 2005 Auto
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 03:11:01 PM »
If the cat is still there it sounds like you have a hole in the exhaust. The exhaust runs along under the driver's seat. Get someone to hold a wadded cloth over the end of the exhaust pipe and check for leaks like that.

dbjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2007 1.4 SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 06:37:09 PM »
You will know if the cat had been stolen.  It is extremely loud all the time.  So loud you wouldn't want to get it up to any speed.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 03:59:23 PM »
it could be the drivebelt ??? after all this wet weather driving mine started to sound like a knackered timing chain when i started it in the mornings. only got better when it warmed up . but sprayed some silicon grease on it and thats stopped the bugger until i get the new one fitted

Tarx

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2005 1.4
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 11:41:11 AM »
Thanks all.

I finally managed to get some time on the car (hectic work schedules) and have found a hole in the exhaust that I am embarrassed to have missed the first time around!

It's right under the drivers seat location wise, and looks rusted and eroded. I know that I will undoubtedly need the exhaust replacing, but wondered if tape might hold this until I am closer to the next MOT? Are there any tape recommendations?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

Tags: