Author Topic: Advice on next car!  (Read 5254 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Advice on next car!
« on: January 15, 2023, 07:58:31 PM »
Hi, Not needed to post for a while as no probs apart from those couple posted. Time has come to look for automatic (was due for total hip replacement before covid struck & was waiting for next 2 yearly appt with cons ortho surgeon but appts are now way off and original surgeon now retired & handed over to colleague with similar experience-just waiting for next appointment!) and looking around, put simply doing my head in and need some pointers on which way to go.

I have seen some cracking automatics for eg 2014 1.4 ex cvt 25k miles 2 prev keepers some service history for £10k and 2008 auto better spec leather seats etc, 60k miles, 1 prev owner, full serv hist for £5k. amongst dozens of others.

I guess it is the old quandry, do you spend as much as you can afford on newer model, less miles & more (should be) more confidence or get version few yrs older, more miles but chances looked after by the 1 former owner with full service history! Suppose same query could be along same lines of older car but with all bells and whistles, fsh, more miles or less gadgets, newer car less miles.

Either way will be looking at used car dealer & know this will cost more as oppose to private sale. 1 thing is for sure, I need an automatic car. If not Honda, then what else should I be looking for!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 08:15:04 PM by Spencer69 »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Advice on next car!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 08:44:51 PM »
Difficult to advise. I love my Mk4 which drives more like an EV with a single gear so you don't get the surge in revs without immediate power that you get with a traditional CVT box like on the MK2 or MK3. That said, with my Mk3, I never found this surge in revs to be that big a deal. I thought it was a very driveable car.

I hear very good reports of automatic Toyotas like the Yaris, Auris or Corolla. A lot round our way largely because the Toyota main dealer is literally round the corner.

On bells and whistles I think it's important to really think about what are, and are not, must haves, nice to haves or just a nuisance (RDMS is an issue on recent Hondas - loads of threads about this on the site).

You won't regret changing to an automatic. I am a late comer - I hadn't driven an automatic at all until I was in my late 60s. Why didn't I change earlier!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 09:08:30 PM »
Automatics are great. I tried a CVT and couldn't live with it but if it suits then it is a great choice. Personally, with my Jazz experience, I would be going for as new as I could afford. Mine was a 56 plate, reliable, economical, practical and rusted underneath. It has now gone to the big scrapyard in the sky.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 05:26:57 AM »
I would look at the body. Rust is the main issue to end the feasible lifespan of a Jazz. If there were no rust in either, I'd go for the older one, which has less things to fail, less annoying auto/warning/control thingies.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 09:54:18 AM »
I have a 2012 Jazz SE CVT.
Owned 10 years: faultless
Watch tyre prices: top spec models have 16" tyres much more expensive than 15"/
Rust at rear always a possible issue. Check with torch (ramps better)

CVT s MUST have FSH , oil changes every 25K. Check fluid on dipstick..on right hand side of engine. ANy colour but clear ?  No SH? RUN away.  Noise ? Run away.
VERY expensive to replace.. should be smooth no jolts or bumps. Check reverse/
I like CVT - very smooth but gentle accelerator use for best results.
Nicely high geared: 2800 rpm at 70mph in 7th gear. (D not S)
Very economical - better than manual

Easy to park, drive around town.

If I had motorways to drive frequently, I would suggest another car but fine for occasional use.

Edit: I travel lots on country roads. So All Season tyres help in snow /mud.
Rear magic seats superb for carrying all sorts of stuff. Mine carries 4 beehives complete with bees with no problems at all

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 09:57:10 AM by madasafish »

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 10:55:23 AM »
The Mk1 always is a CVT. The Mk2 was a robotised normal gearbox in between 2008 - 2011, and a CVT from 2012 onwards. I would always go for the CVT, since it uses much less revs at constant speeds and is less jerky and more economic.
Mk2 has a better handling and better comfort, although the Mk1 is also fun to drive. I agree with the previous posts: always check for smooth operation and rust.
If you drive longer distances more often: go for the Mk2. Otherwise, the Mk1 will do nicely.

Enjoy!

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 03:11:57 PM »
Hi Guys, And so grateful for all replies, especially the more detailed advising. I just want to expand on personal reasons for shifting to automatic (whether that be honda or toyota-as it was a toyota that came up 1st on searches for automatics-quite like where the gearstick is in relation to others). I apologise now if this turns into a small epic reply!

I have lower lumbar, left hip & as a side effect, left knee problems and leg length difference. whilst driving on motorways or any drive of length/time, especially in colder weather, my left leg becomes increasingly painful and stiff if I have to use clutch in motorway congestion, or amount of times and time in minutes, driving around town. I say this ut we only do single figure mileage per year, less than 5k.

Bearing in mind the above hence reason why needing automatic, and thinking of model with heated seats which would be great help, again especially due to the amount of colder months we have experienced! The firm I bought current 2010 honda jazz si, even as a 'cat c' has been faultless. save having to borrow jump cables a few times from JMC cars (who used to have their pitch directly opposite home) which is how we got to know them and trust them implicitly. They have moved a few miles out of town to Heywood, Oldham. We live in the Oldham area. Bought new battery which was down to me leaving courtesy lights on and windscreen wipers, causing flat battery. Apart from usual service and mot charges, including, brakes, suspension etc., we have had almost 7 years faultless driving-never left us stranded or broken down.

I could even make contact with jmc cars as they also source cars, and I hope, and am sure they will remember us. As car is cat c, few times have asked local independant garage who we deal with, if they have noticed any mechanical or why car was cat c, and they have never found anything, save the original dent above driver side rear wheel arch. I also forget can use this as part exchange but what it is worth now is anybody guess? Obviously have all reciepts for service and mot's since took possession.

1 car I keep going back to is a 2011 jazz 1.4 ECL CVT (YH11 VSV) for £8295, for sale by Leeds Motor co., 1 owner from new, FSH 9 service stamps, heated seats, cruise control etc. (sure you can find and maybe 1 or 2 give me your thoughts-please don't go rushing to buy if I have got my eye on it!). Problem is dealer is some 40 miles away and no previous dealings. I have also searched for similar car closer to home but no joy, as yet. Also think could ask previous dealer JMC to course car in this category for us, as this is part of what JMC do!

Anyway, probably left you people with headache and leave there for moment. Many thanks again for all your replies & detailed advice as to what to look out for, and for any further replies.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 03:28:58 PM »
The car you mention seems like a very good car. This is the top spec version, with leather and sunroof, nice! Also it definitely is the CVT version and not the robotised one (P, R, N, D instead of +/- and different stick shape).
Personally, I would go for a test drive and see if the dealer is willing to make an arrangement for any warranty stuff with your local dealer. I do not know how this can be arranged in the UK, but in NL dealers are often very willing to change the car over to another dealer.

Good luck!

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 04:49:31 PM »
Hi Marco, TY for reply and comment. Didn't cross my mind to see if JMC willing to speak to Leeds Motor Co.,  and effectively deal on my behalf, hence dealer who I trust, obtaining for me then buy from JMC, for a finders fee! Will have to message John of jmc and see how it might work. TY.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 04:10:10 PM »
must admit before my jazz i do miss my old Subaru forester Auto. 4 speed proper box lol. i had a manual one before that and was supprised the gear ratio was a lot lower than the manual. almost ticking over at 70mph which gave good economy

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 11:11:56 PM »
1 car I keep going back to is a 2011 jazz 1.4 ECL CVT (YH11 VSV) for £8295, for sale by Leeds Motor co., 1 owner from new, FSH 9 service stamps, heated seats, cruise control etc. (sure you can find and maybe 1 or 2 give me your thoughts-please don't go rushing to buy if I have got my eye on it!). Problem is dealer is some 40 miles away and no previous dealings. I have also searched for similar car closer to home but no joy, as yet. Also think could ask previous dealer JMC to course car in this category for us, as this is part of what JMC do!

Crikey! £8295! For a 2011! OK, it's the similar to here "Exclusive" trim but... Are the UK versions made of pure gold? I have also discovered that the German secondhand prices is nuts as well.

On the other hand, here in pricey Norway where we have WAY higher taxes on new vehicles than UK.
I bought my 2011 (70k kms on the odo) full service history, OK winter tires on separate rims + usable but need soon to replace the rubber, summer wheels, mid range trim "Comfort" GG3 (1.4i manual) 1 month ago.

It got a small dent lower right side rear part of the rear arc and a dent above the right front door.
Else it is in fair nick, everything is working and just had its inspection. Fresh oils, filters, etc. etc.
For, in yours currency £2500. A minter would go for £3500-4000.

So... £8295 for a about 12 years tiny car!?!

OK
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 10:31:37 AM by Brakballe »

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 07:35:27 AM »
Second hand prices are through the roof also in NL. A 12 year old Jazz would sell now at half its value when new :o. 5 years ago, a 6 year old Jazz would sell for that.
Positive side effect: with low or no depreciation buying a new(er) one  every x years feels less painful!

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2023, 12:42:01 PM »
Hi, Agreed, used car prices here in uk are way above what they were couple/few years ago! But are slowly coming down, I can (physically) afford to wait until March when prices reduce naturally to new car registration time comes along. I know brakballe, seems mad. Bought current Honda jazz si, 2010 with less 40k miles but is cat c, for £2500, back in 2016.
Have put car details through webuyanycar, inc fact that cat c and dent above rear wheel arch - valued £1800!!!
Car pitch opposite does have 2010 Peugeot 308 vti s automatic 60k miles at £4500 (dale motor sales, shaw, oldham). Just seems too basic but has cruise-and 4 different tyre types...
Unsure if this model has a cvt auto though and wondering whether it is worth having a look/drive, or am I putting too much thought of cvt vs other auto types. Also reading different online opinions regards reliability, mechanically and electrically!? I  will bow to more experienced opinions here, if you will give them. (granted this is purely for convenience as literally across road). Leave that there, anyway & hope fir some replies. Take care all.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 12:57:43 PM »
...My 2010 MK2 Ex went for £1300 in 2021 :o

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 07:30:43 PM »
Wish they were around that price, too! Just for interest I would search for comparable vehicle and see what price they are now coming up at, or put your car details into website and see what value it now holds! Don't scream when you find out...probably risen more than decents savings a/c!

At this moment in time, getting less, much less for more  >:(

Tags:

anything