Author Topic: LED headlamp bulbs  (Read 1046 times)

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
LED headlamp bulbs
« on: January 13, 2023, 07:57:36 PM »
Anyone out there have any experience of the Classic car LED's? ie. Are they good, ease of fitment,  any problems?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: LED headlamp bulbs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 10:06:31 PM »
When culzean was on here he reckoned they were the bee's knees. Apart from being illegal and a possible MOT failure.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 10:10:28 PM »
Hi

We have used them ever since culzean posted

Absolutely lovely, no issues passed ever MOT easy to fit and insurance is aware there fitted

You can search the forum and find lots of posts

Just be aware they are not legal

Many thanks

John

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 10:18:41 PM »
Hi

We have used them ever since culzean posted

Absolutely lovely, no issues passed ever MOT easy to fit and insurance is aware there fitted

You can search the forum and find lots of posts

Just be aware they are not legal

Many thanks

John

I also used them on my earlier Jazz cars, absolutely great, but as others have said, passed the MOT OK, but technically illegal.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 10:58:07 PM »
and insurance is aware there fitted
I cannot believe that your insurance is happy to insure a vehicle that does not meet the construction and use regulations and is illegal to be on the road, silly though the regulation is. Especially when they will invalidate your insurance for changing tyre size which is not illegal.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 09:03:26 AM »
Hi

It’s no secret whom we use for insurance as I have posted many times

We use Adrian flux

I always inform insurance of all modifications I have made and there are plenty - LED DRL mood lighting light up kickplate sills third party head unit and rear screens full size alloy spare wheel classic cars LED to all front lights headlight sidelight and fog lights LED door floor lights which light the outside ground where your going to step onto as you exit the car (sorry I do not know what there called)

Many thanks

John

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 08:59:08 AM »
I've also used the Classic car LEDs which provided much improved illumination and recall that they went through MOTs without comment. The tester looks at the beam pattern not the bulbs themselves. Those LEDs provide excellent illumination of the nearside kerb area which helps for safer driving. The built-in LED headlights on my HR-V aren't quite as good although still better than halogen bulbs. The regulations need to focus on the quality of the illumination, not how it is achieved.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Redstart

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 11:31:54 AM »
Thanks for that. I'll be ordering a pair !!

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 02:12:46 PM »
.....The regulations need to focus on the quality of the illumination, not how it is achieved.
Unfortunately aftermarket LED replacements for filament lamps is all retrospective and due to the workload and priorities of such bodies who have to pick up the post-B****t challenges regarding regulations it's never going to happen.
What challenges you ask?
https://www.howtocrackanut.com/blog/2022/11/9/uk-regulation-after-brexit-revisited-public-procurement
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/bregulation-rethinking-regulation-after-brexit

Aftermarket LED replacement lamp regulations? I don't think so. Even without the B****t it wouldn't happen.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 02:19:12 PM by embee »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 04:23:49 PM »
You may well find that the marking of bulbs is a UN thing and not EU. Many motoring regs are.

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 07:58:49 PM »
My understanding was that it is specifically an EU approval marking, http://www.smith-one.com/headlightconversions/emarking.html , but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
I was simply suggesting that the workload on the regulatory bodies in the UK is going to be such that trivial stuff will be well and truly in the long grass for years to come.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 11:35:46 PM »

Oddly enough, for the first time ever, I have considered fitting 'brighter' headlights and the reason is quite simple. Bloody potholes. The recent cold weather seems to have encouraged the wretched things to multiply. Consequently, I went over a nasty one the other evening without seeing it and that is not great for the suspension. I don't really want to faff around with LED's and since they are apparently illegal, can anyone recommend a decent brighter halogen bulb? Thanks.

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 11:52:27 PM »
This review is a reasonable start
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2022

I've had various bulbs from https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/ but there are plenty of others. Just stick to reputable suppliers, there is a lot of fake stuff around.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 12:10:26 AM »
This review is a reasonable start
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2022

I've had various bulbs from https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/ but there are plenty of others. Just stick to reputable suppliers, there is a lot of fake stuff around.

That's great. Thanks embee.

Tags:

anything