Author Topic: Jumpy brakes  (Read 693 times)

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
Jumpy brakes
« on: January 06, 2023, 05:36:23 PM »
Hi all! I'm new to this thing and is coming from 15 yrs on a Mazda6 where I have very little to complain about performance wise except... RUST!

Have not done my walkaround yet on the car because the season right now here is not very inspiring for such activities outdoors.

But: I feel that the brakes is very jumpy and abrupt when trying slowing at slow speeds, queuing etc.
Does it have old style vacuum brake power assist or new electronic (because of the antiskid/traction system, VSA)?
Fault, adjustable or plz take off your shoes and deal with it?

There is more to come of gripes but that in other topics as I warm up to this.. hm.. different lady.
By all means, cannot imagine myself in any other brand in this size and type.
Tried Polo, Yaris, Fiasco, Mazda2, Hyundai i20 and i10 and Corsa, no match.
To brilliant a car!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Jumpy brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 08:18:38 PM »
Standard vacuum servo. Perhaps the brakes are too good for you. I am experiencing similar with my new (to me) Fabia because the brakes are so much better than my old Jazz.

Brakballe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 08:47:02 PM »
Standard vacuum servo. Perhaps the brakes are too good for you. I am experiencing similar with my new (to me) Fabia because the brakes are so much better than my old Jazz.

Fabia! Sheez! Infidel!!! :P

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 10:00:50 AM »
I found the brakes quite fierce at first with standard pads.
At 30k miles I stripped both front and rear down, carefully lubricated all sliders and moving parts with HMP silicon grease, ensured everything was clean and reassembled carefully.
Result: a bit smoother application.

(My rear pads/calipers were partially seized before. I carefully sprayed the caliper walls (cylinders retracted with WD40 which made movement far better )

Usual caveats about not getting grease onto pad braking surfaces/disks

Not difficult if DIY semi competent. Even in my 70s I found it easy.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 12:05:02 PM »
Might be worth checking what brand of brake pads are currently fitted. If they are non standard  ,or sports pads  there is often a compromise . Better stopping power may mean  they grab more , or wear out quicker  , or pads that work best when hot may be rubbish when cold or in town  etc.  .
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 01:25:51 PM »
Probably a combination of damp weather and the nature of the Jazz brakes which I found to be a little snatchy after my previous car's more progressive brake bite.

Brakballe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 12:34:57 AM »
I found the brakes quite fierce at first with standard pads.
At 30k miles I stripped both front and rear down, carefully lubricated all sliders and moving parts with HMP silicon grease, ensured everything was clean and reassembled carefully.
Result: a bit smoother application.

(My rear pads/calipers were partially seized before. I carefully sprayed the caliper walls (cylinders retracted with WD40 which made movement far better )

You're right. Should make sure that the slider bolts and caliper is in flawless nick first. Just had the car for two weeks and it's just back from inspection and service. But..  you know todays mechanics..
And I'm pretty confident tinker meself. So that's one for the bucket list this summer  :) 

Tags:

anything