Author Topic: Auto parking etc.  (Read 985 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Auto parking etc.
« on: November 28, 2022, 08:52:14 AM »
My previous car was a BMW Series 1; the latest, front wheel drive model. I miss some of the cars features.
The car had self parking, both parallel and end-on. I didn't need to use SP but it was fun to show passengers the steering wheel whizzing around all by itself.
The car also had head-up display: The speed or navigation turns were projected onto the windscreen so they appeared to be hovering above the bonnet.
Another nicety was automatic seat and exterior mirror settings for each of the keys. My wife and I have to constantly reset the seat and mirrors.

After owning the Beema for a year we decided it was not the right car for our us;  we traded it in for the Jazz.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 08:53:47 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Auto parking etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 09:05:08 AM »
Having driven my employers vans for many years I am confident in rear parking using just mirrors. It makes sense in a supermarket to park with the rear of the car accessable.

Yes, driving rapidly through a car park is unacceptable. Mind you, letting your kids loose to run from the car to the shop is pretty damn stupid.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 09:43:29 AM »
I've never had or used auto parking.

I would assume that when parking in a garage for example it would park dead centre ?

If so, no use to me as I need to aim to be closer to the passenger side wall to allow my door to open enough to let me out without a squeeze. Plus, I have a mark on the garage wall where I line up my passenger door mirror so I have about 6" at the front and therefore max round the back.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 09:47:53 AM »
I have said before, but I used to deliver parts to garages when I worked with Arnold Clark. I soon learned to reverse on my mirrors to a high level. When you have to reverse 100 yards through dozens of tightly parked pre-registered Hondas, all waiting for customers to pick them up on the 1st of the new month it concentrates the mind.
A young lady who had a garage beside me in Kirkcaldy used to marvel at how I could reverse my Volvo into my garage so effortlessly while she struggled to park her Micra front first. I explained to her that as long as you can see a gap between the side of your car and the door frame/wall, there is room to go back.
I struggle now reversing into my drive when there isn't a vehicle parked in the road beside the gate. I cannot see the drop in the pavement in my mirrors and the hedge offers no real guide. I usually have to make a stab at lining up then once I see the gateposts in my mirrors I drive forward to centre the car. All rather messy.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 12:28:48 PM »
Earlier this year I took took the Jazz on a Greek ferry from Italy to Greece  . On all previous ferry trips ,large or small  its been straightforward. Usually drive on one end and off the other, parked in rows with room to get out.  Not this one.  Passengers had to get out 'up top'  and just the driver had to drive down several tight ramps which in my case was to a deck deep in the bowels of the ship where I had to reverse about 100 metres in poor light and cram the car in with mm to spare. Complicated by the fact  exit was the way you came in and some cars would not be disembarking until  a second port in Greece,. I was barely  able to get out of the car because  I was against a bulkhead. No room had been allowed for anyone to get out that side as most others were LHD,with no passengers allowed. .       The reversing camera did help,as did folding mirrors (it was that tight) .  I managed and was quite chuffed at my skill. :-*

Until that is I watched the  heavy trucks being loaded.  Many had to reverse onto the ship, or do tight U turns on deck. The speed and precision with which they were able to park was awe inspiring. Only a few millimeters  apart .  Much tighter than those on the Dover to Calais crossing.  I've long admired the skill of such drivers  but new respect !   A few private  drivers  with large motorcaravans had to do the same, but with varying degrees of ability  ;D
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 07:24:19 PM »
I just want to add that a rigid vehicle is much more manouverable in reverse.

A couple of years ago I spent a week driving a canal narrow-boat. I realised while bumping side to side across the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct that a boat steers from the back, like reversing a car.
Neil Ives

Tags:

anything