Author Topic: Automatic Lights  (Read 9568 times)

guest1329

Automatic Lights
« on: April 01, 2010, 06:47:34 PM »
Hi, I've had my Jazz 1.4 EX for a week now and am very pleased with it. Makes a change from a 16 year old Corsa !.

My question is with the automatic lights, they work quite well but after a frost on the windscreen last night, when I started the car the lights came on. The light level was quite high and they have not normally come on straight away. The screen was then cleared of the frost but they remained on. Anyway I drove to work and stopped a couple of times and turned the engine off and automatic light switch but each time  I turned the switch back  to auto the lights came on.

I did notice ( or thought I did ) that the temperature reading was flashing at 3 degrees. I wondered if the lights were connected in any way due to the low tempereature and turned on as a safety feature ? Any way I went out to the car later on in the morning and the auto lights are working fine. Is there any way that some moisture could have got onto the sensor and frozen therefore blocking it and causing the lights to come on ?

Has anyone else noticed this with a frozen screen or low temperatures?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Automatic Lights
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »
The temperature reading flashing at 3 degrees is a warning of ice patches on the road. My Civic had this and if I remember that was the explanation given in the owners manual.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:06:41 PM »
I don't use them on our EX or on my own car either - I think they're a pointless idea and they're dangerous, although the Honda habit of keeping the instruments illuminated all the time adds to the confusion about whether the lights are on or off during the day.

In my own car (Merc) I've had people pull in front of me when the autolights came on as I drove under a bridge and just the other day I pulled out in front of a Jag when the xenon lights came on with a flash that I mistook for the driver letting me out.

guest1293

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:42:37 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just noticed that we have a  name duplication here ??? Let me know if I have to change  my login

Cheers

Ken

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
Never had any problem with the manual light switch on my Jazz, I have full control of whether the lights are on or off and like it that way - auto lights and wipers are pointless gimmicks and just something else to go wrong.

I have however fitted LED daylight running lamps to my Jazz and feel that these are a positive safety thing, as I can now dispense with headlight beam driving in the slightly murky or drizzly conditions when I used to turn dipped beam on, and DRL are less annoying to other road users than headlights.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »
/\ Some of the factory-fit daylight running lights are quite bright (Citroen DS3 for example).

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 01:05:48 AM »
The auto light sensor is the lump on the dash almost under the wipers. If you've covered that (eg. a cloth you've used for wiping the windscreen), or if the windscreen hasn't been cleared that far down, the automatic lights may come on.

Tenrab

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 05:05:40 PM »
I believe the EX auto light sensor is on the windscreen mount together with the rain sensor just to the right of the rear view mirror, manual page 130.
The bump on the dash, according to the manual page 194, is the sunlight sensor for the climate control.

guest1262

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 09:34:54 PM »
There is an OFF option on the EX lighting switch.

Rather than use AUTO the owner's manual, page 129, advises that you turn on the lights manually when driving at night or in dense fog, or when you enter dark areas such as long tunnels or parking facilities.

It also advises that the switch should not be on AUTO if you will not be driving the car for an extended period (A week or more).

Thus it appears that we should be very deliberate when using the light switch.

guest1262

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
I have however fitted LED daylight running lamps to my Jazz and feel that these are a positive safety thing, as I can now dispense with headlight beam driving in the slightly murky or drizzly conditions when I used to turn dipped beam on, and DRL are less annoying to other road users than headlights.

Would this be classified as a modification? A modification that might jeopardize insurance cover in the event of an accident? It would be worth checking.

guest1128

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 08:59:07 AM »

I have however fitted LED daylight running lamps to my Jazz and feel that these are a positive safety thing,

Sorry a bit off topic but are these LED DRLs original Honda product or 3rd party. Could you give a link ?

I upgraded my Jazz's bulbs to BOSCH Plus 90 H4 bulbs (I think they are not available in UK. They are legal and Im very much pleased  ). They suggest not to start the engine when headlights on that is ligts are at auto mode. If you do otherwise, life of the bulbs will be very much shorter...So before evry start, I check the headlights if they are on I close auto mode then start the engine..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:24:38 PM »
My LED daylight running lamps are just 3rd party from halfords or maplins, cost about £20+cost of 2 amp inline fuse and 'vampire' connector to branch them off the sidelight circuit, they are totally legal to be mounted anywhere on the front of the car if they come on with the sidelights (they are under bumper 'lip' each side of numberplate).

If you want them to come on just on their own (you would need to wire in a switch) then you have to mount them at a certain height and distance from centreline of car) - they are 'flat' ones about 60mm wide by 10mm high, have about 8 led's in each and are very directional (about a 15 degree beam angle) and are a very white light.

Nearest UK available headlight bulbs to Bosch +90 are probably Phillips X-treme power (80% brighter) at about £22 per pair.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1128

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 03:01:05 PM »
My LED daylight running lamps are just 3rd party from halfords or maplins, cost about £20+cost of 2 amp inline fuse and 'vampire' connector to branch them off the sidelight circuit, they are totally legal to be mounted anywhere on the front of the car if they come on with the sidelights (they are under bumper 'lip' each side of numberplate).

If you want them to come on just on their own (you would need to wire in a switch) then you have to mount them at a certain height and distance from centreline of car) - they are 'flat' ones about 60mm wide by 10mm high, have about 8 led's in each and are very directional (about a 15 degree beam angle) and are a very white light.

Nearest UK available headlight bulbs to Bosch +90 are probably Phillips X-treme power (80% brighter) at about £22 per pair.

I see its not a Jazz spesific LED DRL from a 3rd party company...Its a custom one and you tailored it to Jazz  ;D

I bought Plus90s from a German seller on ebay , named Brehma, but invoice came from somebody like auto-lampen-discount.

I do offer Bosch Plus90s if anybody consider to change headlight  bulbs(and if its price is proper for you: it makes 20.50 pound I think ). If you do so, dont forget not to start the car if headlights are on..  

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-Paar-Bosch-Plus-90-H4-90-mehr-Licht_W0QQitemZ260574101632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r?hash=item3cab6d4080

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
I do offer Bosch Plus90s if anybody consider to change headlight  bulbs(and if its price is proper for you: it makes 20.50 pound I think ). If you do so, dont forget not to start the car if headlights are on..  
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correct  ??? :-[

So are you offering these Bosch Plus 90 bulbs to forum members for £20.50 delivered?

I was thinking of changing my bulbs but havent researched much yet

guest1128

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »
Sorry for my bad English..

This German seller sells a pair of them for €16 and shipping to UK is €7.25..This makes €23.25 (about 20.5 pound)..

So if you consider to change bulbs, get Plus 90s from this seller if theyre not available in UK.

Tags:

anything