Author Topic: Honda GD CVT - normal for the to revs to go down and up when you come to a stop?  (Read 6210 times)

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
It doesn't happen every time but sometimes when I come to a stop the revs momentarily fall almost to 500rpm and then back to the normal 750rpm idle, othertimes the revs drop to 500 and then it climbs to around 1200 and then only falls back to 750 idle.

Is that normal with the CVT, I'm assuming it might be linked to it being an automatic and the momentary rev drop/climb is as a result of it coming to a stop whilst being in Drive mode and the rev jump at times to 1200 some kind of anti-stall feature?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:31:06 AM by Jazzmeister »
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

thatgraemeguy

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 7.3L/100km
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 DSI (GD1) CVT
Not sure if its "normal" but I have had this happen very sporadically. Slow to a stop in D/S with foot on the brake and then the revs drop almost to the point of stalling then jump to just over 1,000. Repeats a few times while brake is held.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
When you mean repeats a few times do you mean at one stop?
You come to a stop and the revs will drop almost to stall rise to 1000 drop again drop again almost to stall rise to a 1000 etc

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Not sure if its "normal" but I have had this happen very sporadically. Slow to a stop in D/S with foot on the brake and then the revs drop almost to the point of stalling then jump to just over 1,000. Repeats a few times while brake is held.
Sounds like a manifold air leak.

thatgraemeguy

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 7.3L/100km
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 DSI (GD1) CVT
When you mean repeats a few times do you mean at one stop?
You come to a stop and the revs will drop almost to stall rise to 1000 drop again drop again almost to stall rise to a 1000 etc

Yes, when this happens it will do it a few times at the same stop. It's very very rare though, I honestly couldn't tell you the last time it happened. Maybe happened 5 or 6 times in all the time I've been driving it.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Is there anyone else with the GD CVT that can shed some light on my issue?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI

I don't have a CVT, but I would tend to agree with Jocko - could be a vacuum leak. The unstable idle may be the ECU anti-stall trying to compensate. Check the pipework around the inlet manifold, especially the brake servo pipework for cracks/splits. Other possibility is servo diaphragm.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member

I don't have a CVT, but I would tend to agree with Jocko - could be a vacuum leak. The unstable idle may be the ECU anti-stall trying to compensate. Check the pipework around the inlet manifold, especially the brake servo pipework for cracks/splits. Other possibility is servo diaphragm.
I also thought brake servo but then it would happen more often and when the issue crops up it should happen each time you press the brake pedal, I've tried but once the idle is back to normal I can pump the brakes as much as I want and the idle stays rock solid.

I looked at the brake servo and PCV pipes and they look fine.

Apparently there is a PCV valve that can get sticky.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:06:52 PM by Jazzmeister »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Is the aircon on, if so the revs will fluctuate slightly as the compressor kicks in and out when at idle. This happens at about 8 to 10 second intervals.

Vic.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Is the aircon on, if so the revs will fluctuate slightly as the compressor kicks in and out when at idle. This happens at about 8 to 10 second intervals.

Vic.
It happens whether the aircon is on or not.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Bumping it up in case any other GD CVT owners are around.

Remco

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 CVT 2003
I think I also have this problem, in my case the engine can almost shut down when in D with the brake pressed. Sometimes misfires are detected.
I think that when you stop the control system detects it, in combination with the brake being pressed and then releases the  start clutch. If that system does not work well the engine is working against the brakes. When you put it in neutral the forward clutch releases and it should run freely again.
Not completely sure about this, the CVT system description doesn't give a lot of detail about it.

Chris3227

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 dsi

I had a simlar stiuation recently, my car dropped below 500rpm and sometimes stalled (I have the cvt-7)

everytime I stopped at a robot I had to push a bit down on the throttle to keep the rev's just under 1000rpm while holding brakes in, I also noticed that my brakes felt like it was not working properly when I braked whilst the revs jumped below 500rpm but worked fine at a higher rpm.

A few days later my D light started to ficker and car went into limp mode.

Just last week friday I took the car to mayfair gearbox auto devision here in Johannesburg.

they tested the gearbox only to find out that the box needs to be rebuilt.

I don't know if that is what happening to your car. but for me it was my gearbox that was the issue.

I will attach what Mayfai has found on my car.

Remco

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 CVT 2003
The report states that slipping of the chain caused heat, resulting in the clutch to fail.
I think it is more likely that the failing clutch caused slipping of the chain. Or maybe these problems are unrelated.

Chris3227

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 dsi
The report states that slipping of the chain caused heat, resulting in the clutch to fail.
I think it is more likely that the failing clutch caused slipping of the chain. Or maybe these problems are unrelated.

Like I said I am not sure that is what is happening to his Jazz.

I had an issue with the car rpm as well. I will only get my car back next week, and only then I will see if the rpm issue is related to my gearbox.

Tags: