Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 144957 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #540 on: October 04, 2022, 09:53:10 AM »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #541 on: October 06, 2022, 02:41:01 PM »
So my fourth consecutive calculated mpg figure of over 60 mpg - this time 61.9 (66.7 on the car's computer) and this gives me an mpg figure for the year of 57.7. Pretty pleased with that figure to be fair.

It will start to dip again as the weather gets cold and I burn petrol to keep me warm. Quite a range over the year from a low of just over 45 mpg to a high of 63.6.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #542 on: October 16, 2022, 09:17:34 AM »
Latest fill up - a bit early for logistical reasons, overall mpg still increasing - 54.58 now

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #543 on: October 17, 2022, 03:59:59 PM »
Just filled up, which reset my trip, then drove off up a fairly steep hill.  12 litres per 100km. ( 23.5 mpg ! )  :o
(I am in foreign parts at the moment.  The constant fuel consumption 'bar' makes much more sense in metric) 

Of course it soon settled to something much more pleasing.   ;D
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

aphybrid

• Approved Member
« Reply #544 on: October 30, 2022, 09:27:37 AM »
Latest fill update - overall mpg still edging up - now 54.66, increase 'held' back by required motorway running

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #545 on: November 24, 2022, 03:56:23 PM »
Picked up my new Jazz EX Style on Tuesday and today was my first proper drive. Mostly dual carriageway and motorway, around 80 miles round trip with speeds mostly in the 60-65mph range topping out at 70mph. My average was 56mpg, I was hoping for 60+, so maybe it will improve a bit when the engine gets a few miles on it.
For reference my 2022 Volvo XC90 B5D usually averages around 45-46mpg on the same journey.
Overall, it drove well, was quiet and comfortable, stereo sucks compared to the stereo in the Honda e I had before and none of the range anxiety of the e.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
« Reply #546 on: November 27, 2022, 06:59:56 AM »
Latest fill - overall MPG still creeping up - now 54.83, not much motorway this time.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #547 on: November 27, 2022, 11:01:10 AM »
Picked up my new Jazz EX Style on Tuesday and today was my first proper drive. Mostly dual carriageway and motorway, around 80 miles round trip with speeds mostly in the 60-65mph range topping out at 70mph. My average was 56mpg, I was hoping for 60+, so maybe it will improve a bit when the engine gets a few miles on it.

Its  fuel advantage over other cars at motorways speeds is welcome  but not as impressive as it can be in town and slower speeds. You really notice the fuel penalty for even a small increase in speed. (and  saving for a small reduction in speed and a gentle right foot)  But even at 70 mph you may improve on 56 mpg . Colder weather (a feature for the next few months  >:()  ) does increase fuel consumption. It does with normal cars, but maybe not as noticeable due to the consumption displays., Fuel consumption in warmer weather is what  really brings a smile to your face.  :D

It can also vary quite significantly depending on whether  there is a head wind  or tail wind  or the route is predominantly up hill or downhill. You may have been unlucky with the overall average on that particular  journey    I sometimes  wonder why the car seems to be guzzling fuel for a while when the motorway or other road seems flat to me  yet with no obvious change to topography, speed  or battery level it might use no fuel at all.  Best to give it more  time to average  out.

Some find adapting their driving slightly to the cars strengths can help.    Easing back slightly, rather than going for every last bit of available power can reduce fuel consumption (and noise) significantly without noticeable loss of performance.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #548 on: November 27, 2022, 11:21:36 AM »
My daughter and family live in Cornwall. I live near Coventry. That's 275 miles each way. I am able to use ACC almost all of the journey. Out of holiday season I can do the trip in 4 hours. I am not willing to drive slower than the maximum allowed speeds, (plus 2 to compensate for inaccurate speedo) ;  getting there in the shortest possible time trumps economy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 11:23:14 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #549 on: November 27, 2022, 12:16:57 PM »

Its  fuel advantage over other cars at motorways speeds is welcome  but not as impressive as it can be in town and slower speeds. You really notice the fuel penalty for even a small increase in speed. (and  saving for a small reduction in speed and a gentle right foot)  But even at 70 mph you may improve on 56 mpg . Colder weather (a feature for the next few months  >:()  ) does increase fuel consumption. It does with normal cars, but maybe not as noticeable due to the consumption displays., Fuel consumption in warmer weather is what  really brings a smile to your face.  :D

It can also vary quite significantly depending on whether  there is a head wind  or tail wind  or the route is predominantly up hill or downhill. You may have been unlucky with the overall average on that particular  journey    I sometimes  wonder why the car seems to be guzzling fuel for a while when the motorway or other road seems flat to me  yet with no obvious change to topography, speed  or battery level it might use no fuel at all.  Best to give it more  time to average  out.

Some find adapting their driving slightly to the cars strengths can help.    Easing back slightly, rather than going for every last bit of available power can reduce fuel consumption (and noise) significantly without noticeable loss of performance.

It was a windy day with some significant changes in elevation.
I just did a quick 2-3 mile each way, in and out of town trip from a cold start and achieved 56mpg, so that's pretty good, a journey that was always so inefficient in the Honda E, so clearly the Jazz is happier at town rather than motorway speeds.
I feel I am almost an expert of squeezing efficiency out of my vehicles, my previous BMW's 540i touring and X3 M40i, both up to 43mpg on runs, regularly in the 38/39mpg range and 50mpg on my current Volvo XC90.

The Jazz now sits nicely as our second car for short trips around town, whilst the longer journeys are catered for by the effortless comfort of the XC90(provided the end parking spot is big enough)
The Jazz is a much better overlap to the XC90 than the E having both a range and space advantage.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #550 on: November 27, 2022, 01:41:25 PM »
I started out at 56mpg from new with just shortish trips, but as I did a longer trip or two it got past 60mpg and still around 59 now going up on longer trips. But the colder weather and warm air con will knock a few mpg off, the engine seems to be on more the last couple of days.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #551 on: December 03, 2022, 09:14:53 PM »
Just over 3000 miles now in my May 22 EX, which I usually drive in B mode, for the one pedal driving.
 I have steadily seen the MPG figure, go up in tenths of a mile, to a figure of 74 and a half ish, but I have now  been thwarted by the cold weather ‘til the Spring! Over the last 400 miles, I have reduced it to 72 and a bit.

Note to self:  Need to buy some wire wool, to shine up the rusty brake discs!

aphybrid

• Approved Member
« Reply #552 on: December 12, 2022, 03:09:09 PM »
Latest fill with a bit of motorway, fall due to winter with decreasing temperature coming in?
Overall now 54.58mpg, was 54.83 last fill.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #553 on: December 12, 2022, 05:01:54 PM »
One thing I am noticing in this very cold snap is that EV mode rarely kicks in (admittedly I have only done short stuff lately). I am driving round with a permanently full battery. I am using petrol to keep the car warm.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #554 on: December 12, 2022, 05:41:10 PM »
I am using petrol to keep the car warm.

Definitely, the engine is on much more in freezing weather.

Tags:

anything