Author Topic: Catalytic converter sensors for an 05 Honda Jazz auto  (Read 3140 times)

Mrjolly

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2005
Catalytic converter sensors for an 05 Honda Jazz auto
« on: April 05, 2020, 08:24:58 AM »
Hi
Back in January the catalytic converter on mt wife's 2005 Honda Jazz auto was the subject of a bungled robbery. The t..t sawed through the front pipe but couldn't undo the rear bolts, so left it. It's a very long story (3 months so far). My question is:
I've been told by my garage that the two sensors fitted to the cat are different in an automatic to a manual, and are a lot more expensive to buy. I cant see how this can be. Is it true?
Thanks

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Catalytic converter sensors for an 05 Honda Jazz auto
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 08:51:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum  8)

Not sure about the aftermarket sensors, but the Honda part numbers are definely different for the MT and CVT.

36531-PWE-E01 / 36532-PWE-G01 for the front / rear on manual cars

36531-PWA-903 / 36532-PWA-G02 for the CVT

I would guess that the sensors would be the same, there must be some difference to the loom connectors and/or cabling.

Mrjolly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »
Hi sparky Paul
Thank you for your amazingly quick reply.
I was busily researching prices thinking it was a load of b......t! If, as you say the sensors themselves are probably the same on both the MT and CRT versions, perhaps that would also extend to the wiring as far as the connectors? I still have the connectors fitted as they sliced through the wires, so it would be a straightforward job to reconnect...I found the standard sensors on the Eurocarparts website for £71.99 each but got a 52% reduction with a code supplied by 'Honey'. As they only supply one type, would buying two work? I can get both for under £70!
Cheers

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 09:33:29 AM »
The front and rear sensors are different, and not interchangeable.

You can buy both sensors for the manual on eBay for £42 delivered

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/for-HONDA-JAZZ-1-4dsi-1-2dsi-2002-2008-4-REAR-FRONT-LAMBA-OXYGEN-SENSORS/223948103283

Please note that my guess that the sensors are the same is just that, purely speculative. Also, Honda do sometimes supply the same parts under more than one part number, so you may find that these parts fit, or they may not, and they may or may not work.

I would think you have a reasonably good chance of success, but It's going to be pot luck I'm afraid.

Mrjolly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 09:49:00 AM »
OK, thank you so much! I'll go for it I think, if only to get things moving before my wife forgets how to drive!
Have a good day, and stay safe.
Cheers

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 01:36:49 PM »
Same to you.

It would be interesting to see how you get on, for other CVT owners on here.

Mrjolly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »
I'll report back if I go ahead.

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 10:15:54 PM »
I was told by my local Honda dealer that the 2 sensors for Manual transmission and CVT (Auto) are definitely different.
I got mine direct from Walker Products (www.walkerproducts.com) part no:250-24759 (rear) and 250-24761 (front) (they are for CVT by the way) for £37.20 each after discount plus VAT. They are straight forward swaps and the plug in connectors plug straight into the originals on the car. Unfortunately for the rear sensor to gain access to the plug you have to remove the interior centre console as the plug is located in there (a bit of a pain but not that difficult to remove). When all fitted don't forget to clear fault codes/memory with a diagnostic tester or else the engine "check" light will remain on.
The Walker Product website does list different part numbers for manual transmission cars so I presume they must be different but whether they are interchangeable or not or will the engine check light remain on I do not know. Hope that helps. By the way both my Jazz's had their cats stolen and I replaced the cats with ones made by BM Catalysts (part no:BM90842H and fitting kit (FK90842C) which was much more cheaper than the genuine Honda ones and even though it looks substantially smaller (I presume there is less precious metals in them to keep costs low) they have passed the annual MOTs so far. And hopefully they won't steal them again as they are worth much less than the originals!

Mrjolly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 10:25:35 AM »
Hi Tonytan.
That's very useful, thank you for taking the time to help. I was going to use manual ones and connect them to the original wires (which are still in situ!) but your information leaves me with a much better option. Did you happen to notice whether the CVT sensors you fitted had two or four wires per sensor? The ones for MTs I was looking at online had four, but my garage said they thought they's only seen two. Maybe its two on CVTs and four on MTs?
Cheers, and thanks again.

Incidentally, I've just tried to place an order with walkerproducts.com but they seem to be based in America with an unsympathetic website. I sent an email too explaining my situation and it's still sending, ten minutes later. Have I got the correct address?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:55:13 AM by Mrjolly »

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 11:13:20 AM »
They are definitely 4 wires. Go to www.walkerproductseurope.co.uk  I rang them up 0121 459 8006 or you can email him/details on the website, and spoke to a Paul Earley who was really helpful and knew his stuff, he burst out laughing when I mentioned I was looking for lambda sensors, I didn't even complete my sentence and he asked whether it was for a Honda Jazz! And he also confirmed that ones for CVT and manual transmission was different. Good luck

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »
Good info above, looks a much better bet.

Did you happen to notice whether the CVT sensors you fitted had two or four wires per sensor? The ones for MTs I was looking at online had four, but my garage said they thought they's only seen two. Maybe its two on CVTs and four on MTs?

As Tony says, these are all 4 wires, perhaps some have been yanked out of the plug. These cat collector chaps are rarely gentle.

Mrjolly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »
Thank you to you both, I'll carry on and let you know how it goes.

Mrjolly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 11:05:17 PM »
Well, I'm very pleased to report the car is back in the land of the living, sensors having been purchased from Walkerproductseurope. I spoke to Mr Earley, who was as charming and helpful as you said, and he dispatched them quickly so they were with me after the extended weekend. All in all, a new cat set me back £95 (ebay) and a pair of sensors for an auto £90 delivered. Excellent, my wife is now mobile for the first time in around three months.
I'd like to thank everyone for their help and support, particularly Sparky Paul and tonytan.
Have a good lockdown and stay safe.

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 10:41:01 AM »
It's always a pleasure to help out our fellow Jazz owners. That's what we're here for. Happy motoring and stay safe.

dbjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2007 1.4 SE CVT
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 04:33:48 PM »
I was told by my local Honda dealer that the 2 sensors for Manual transmission and CVT (Auto) are definitely different.
I got mine direct from Walker Products (www.walkerproducts.com) part no:250-24759 (rear) and 250-24761 (front) (they are for CVT by the way) for £37.20 each after discount plus VAT. They are straight forward swaps and the plug in connectors plug straight into the originals on the car. Unfortunately for the rear sensor to gain access to the plug you have to remove the interior centre console as the plug is located in there (a bit of a pain but not that difficult to remove). When all fitted don't forget to clear fault codes/memory with a diagnostic tester or else the engine "check" light will remain on.
The Walker Product website does list different part numbers for manual transmission cars so I presume they must be different but whether they are interchangeable or not or will the engine check light remain on I do not know.

Sorry to raise an old thread.  I tried the Walker's part numbers above and they don't seem to exist.  Walkers Uk only offer 350-34172 and don't say if it is upstream of dopwnstream nor if it is for a CVT.  Also  I can't get my head round why CVTs have a different sensor - it is surely measuring the same thing.  I can appreciate a CVT will handle the readings differently but I expect that would be done in the ECU not in the sensor.

So can anyone confirm the right part number (Walkers or other reputable make like Bosch or Delphi)  for an upstream sensor for a 2007  Jazz CVT 1.4 engine type GD1 ? 

While I'm here is this a mark 1 Jazz or a mark 2?  I thought Mk1 but lots of suppliers quote years 2002-2008 as Jazz II.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 06:38:50 PM by dbjazz »

Tags: