Author Topic: Whatcar Car of the Year 2024  (Read 1004 times)

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
Whatcar Car of the Year 2024
« on: February 29, 2024, 05:44:34 PM »
Lexus LBX just been voted the above. It is clearly based on the Toyota Yaris Cross, but made much more luxurious and quieter. It is interestingly being promoted as being excellent value , compared with every report I read about the Mk 4 Jazz as being “ expensive”. Not seen or driven one, but by pricing it more competitively, Lexus are clearly wanting good sales figures.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
Re: Whatcar Car of the Year 2024
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 08:19:10 PM »
The top grade is pushing near 40 grand, and presumably it is a cvt gearbox, which won't be as much fun away from traffic lights I guess? I would be prepared to pay some for that interior if it is a good as they say, particularly like the display in the dash design, rather than a tablet glued on top, but I think inside it might be more cramped, and giving up the clever Honda engine/motor design would be regrettable.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: Whatcar Car of the Year 2024
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:00:00 AM »
It has the fifth generation of Toyota’s hybrid drive. I’m not very enthusiastic about it: it also charges the battery more while driving and also switches to electric mode more to use that energy, so basically it is more like Honda’s system. But: since it has no clutch, the planetary gear needs to stop and start motor and engine. This was noticeable; not smooth at all, compared to the e:hev. I test drove a Corolla hybrid and  was glad to be back in my Jazz afterwards!

Tags: