Author Topic: Spark plug interval  (Read 3321 times)

coolmint

• Approved Member
Spark plug interval
« on: November 18, 2019, 11:28:48 PM »
Hi all have a 2013 1.4 si . What is the intervals for the spark plugs , am coming up to 60k miles is it time for a change any experience on what is best , Bosch , NGK, delso ? Thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Spark plug interval
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 08:52:15 AM »
They say 70,000 miles for iridium - but changed ours around 60K and it felt better...

plenty of info on forum about spark plugs -  go to 2008-2015 section and search for iridium or ngk or  denso

try this thread - I got ours from Opie oils ( different NGK number from OEM but they have been in now for about 2 years with no problems and good MPG..)

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11425.msg74993#msg74993
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:55:32 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

stesjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 1.4ex azure blue
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
i wouldnt bother changing them if it starts and runs fine, the tips are made of iridium and will last as long as the engine, as they dont wear out........i heard that someone who has a lexus with 300,000 miles on it and hes never changed the iridium plugs! :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 08:01:36 AM »
i wouldnt bother changing them if it starts and runs fine, the tips are made of iridium and will last as long as the engine, as they dont wear out........i heard that someone who has a lexus with 300,000 miles on it and hes never changed the iridium plugs! :D

It is not only the iridium tips you need to worry about,  the ceramic insulation and the resistors can fail too - just not worth leaving spark plugs in that long - because if they have been in that long it may be well nigh impossible to remove them.  Considering the reasonable price of iridium and platinum spark plugs these days it is simply not worth the risk of ceramic insulation cracking and falling into cylinder,  where it could cause a lot of damage - the gap in iridium plugs does wear as well ( just a lot more slowly than conventional plugs electrodes ),  and this stresses the coil insulation.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 09:32:14 AM »
I check customer vehicles spec via the NGK catalogue>
https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 10:02:17 AM »
That site is great. I finally have a code for an Indium plug for my non-indium fitted Jazz.

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 02:55:17 PM »
Just had a look on YT at the procedure for doing this........ is this really necessary.... : :( :( :(

Steve

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
Some advice here,  no problem taking wiper arms off just mark windscreen with a bit of tape to mark and put them back in same place in park position,  but i didn't take motor off,  just undid the 3 rubber bushed bolts and pushed it out of the way.  You need some decent tools like a socket set with 10mm sockets and extension,  also need to remove some covers and plastic clips. Once you can see plugs then changing them is a doddle,  but wish it was as easy as the Civic where you just take one plastic cover off top of engine and the plugs are winking at you :)

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9164.0

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11007.0
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:31:07 PM by culzean »

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 10:42:36 PM »

It is not only the iridium tips you need to worry about,  the ceramic insulation and the resistors can fail too - just not worth leaving spark plugs in that long - because if they have been in that long it may be well nigh impossible to remove them.  Considering the reasonable price of iridium and platinum spark plugs these days it is simply not worth the risk of ceramic insulation cracking and falling into cylinder,  where it could cause a lot of damage - the gap in iridium plugs does wear as well ( just a lot more slowly than conventional plugs electrodes ),  and this stresses the coil insulation.

Changed mine at @ 85,000 and they were the originals. The electrodes were almost down to the insulation. They worked but the new ones worked better, especially noticeable when pulling away from idle or hill starts. Definitely change them.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 09:22:09 AM »
Changed the plugs on Civic and Jazz at around 60,000 miles and the result was impressive, the car felt more lively... and slight MPG improvement.. maybe the newer plugs were of a more advanced design or maybe the old ones were just 'tired' after handling hot combustion products for years and gazzillions of sparks ...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 08:40:10 PM »
After following this thread I thought I had better check the miles my plugs had done (8 off non Iridium standard plugs).
I had thought they would have lasted till my service in the summer, but with the additional miles I am doing just now they have actually covered 26+K miles so I will get them replaced as soon as the holiday period is over.

jamesdean

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 i-VTEC ES i-SHIFT
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 04:31:27 PM »
Steve,

I had no great trouble changing the plugs on a '09 i-shift Jazz
by simply loosening the brake fluid reservoir and rolling up my
sleeves. First carefully withdraw the mini-coils with a tiny socket
set and then use a larger set to remove the plugs. There is VERY
little room but if you do not posses forearms like Popeye and go
at it carefully it is doable. I did get a nice cut on a knuckle though.

JD

Tags:

anything