Author Topic: Wiper blades dragging  (Read 2592 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Wiper blades dragging
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:01:26 PM »
Anyone else have there wiper blades drag at the top of the wipe? The car is brand new but ive never noticed this with new wiper blades on other cars. Maybe I need to clean the windscreen and wipers just incase there is any residue of something.

At slow speeds / auto speed - the second blade (and top blade slightly) have a drag / judder at the top of the range. In continuous on mode I didn't notice it. It may work itself out... but any suggestions? Should I take it to the dealer?

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Wiper blades dragging
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 10:02:23 PM »
No, but driver's side has always left a trail on the down sweep. I replaced the blades last month but they still do it.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 10:06:39 PM »
I have noticed an occasional judder at the top of the drivers side blade on this car, did not see it on my previous MK3. I have cleaned my windscreen and blades with methylated spirit but it hasn't rained since. A drip or two of detergent in the screen washers may help.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:11:33 PM by Skyrider »

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07:42 PM »
Anyone else have there wiper blades drag at the top of the wipe? The car is brand new but ive never noticed this with new wiper blades on other cars. Maybe I need to clean the windscreen and wipers just incase there is any residue of something.

At slow speeds / auto speed - the second blade (and top blade slightly) have a drag / judder at the top of the range. In continuous on mode I didn't notice it. It may work itself out... but any suggestions? Should I take it to the dealer?

Yes mine does that as well I find it’s better if I clean the screen to get any wax or polish off after washing the car

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 06:06:10 AM »
A drip or two of detergent in the screen washers may help.
Make sure it is Fairy Liquid!
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10131.0

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »
A drip or two of detergent in the screen washers may help.
Make sure it is Fairy Liquid!
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10131.0

I said a couple of drips, not dunk the car in it!   :o :)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:46:48 AM »
I use this http://rain-x.kcci.eu/rain-x-products/rain-x-rain-repellent/ and it seems to do a fairly good job.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
I used that in the past and cursed it. Great during the day but shows as smears at night. You have to go through the rigmarole of treating the screen every few days. Unless it has been improved a great deal, in recent years!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 10:03:20 AM »
I used that in the past and cursed it. Great during the day but shows as smears at night. You have to go through the rigmarole of treating the screen every few days. Unless it has been improved a great deal, in recent years!

I agree, I used it on a car years ago, never again, I would not let it get near my car. It is excellent for helicopters and that is where it should stay! Clean glass is best for cars, just keep wax, traffic film (diesel residue) and polymer paint sealants off it. Methylated spirit is a good degreaser.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:12:46 AM by Skyrider »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »
I used that for quite a while several years ago and liked it. I eventually just stopped using it though. Not sure why. I don't remember it ever causing me problems at night.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 12:51:25 PM »
I started using it about a two years' ago.  I apply it with one cloth and polish it off with a microfibre one.  Yes it takes a bit of application and if you don't take the trouble it does smear.  But it does the job for me.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 01:06:44 PM »
I use Autoglym Fast Glass for quick cleaning after washing the car windscreen and windows, for really stubborn film and smears Autoglym Car Glass Polish.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 07:44:43 PM »
I use this http://rain-x.kcci.eu/rain-x-products/rain-x-rain-repellent/ and it seems to do a fairly good job.

Rainex is only ok if you don't use wipers, and it does work above about 30mph and the beaded water blows up the screen and away without wipers, but below about 30 you still need to use wipers / screenwash and the rainex effect soon starts to wear off and  I found it then causes smearing, so stopped using it.  Ok on side Windows but I will never use it on windscreen again.  There was also a washer bottle screenwash that I tried that had rainex in it, when I found out how smeary it was I had to empty the reservoir and refill with ordinary screenwash but it took a long time to get screen back to normal clear vision.  I think that because rainex is supposed to cause the water to form beads instead of spread out the washer bottle fluid (surfactant / detergent) are fighting each other - one wants to bead and the other destroys the surface tension of the water and wants to make it spread out,  so the compromise is that the water forms smaller and smaller beads which actually are not cleared properly by wipers and form like a smeary mist on the glass,  which is horrible at night.

I will use turtle wax clear-vue window cleaner now and if squashed insects to remove I spray it on screen and use a kitchen scourer ( the sponge with the white nylon antiscratch fibres on it, do not use green or brown as they will scratch glass ) to wipe screen over before using some more cleaner and kitchen roll / a cotton cloth to polish.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:57:45 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »
I think that might have been why I stopped using it. I had a change of job and did more <30mph driving so probably got sick of having to reapply it.

Tags: