Author Topic: In search of a softer tyres  (Read 1810 times)

Roller

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 3
In search of a softer tyres
« on: June 14, 2020, 08:53:19 AM »
Stock tyres are Michelin 185 60 r15. I am looking for softer tyres for a comfier diving. Will it work to install a bigger tyre on the same r15 - the 205 55 r15 which is 20mm wider - or - the 205 60 r15 which is also 24mm higher? Visually there is plenty of space around stock wheels but I am worried that new tyres would not rub.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: In search of a softer tyres
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »
Stock tyres are Michelin 185 60 r15. I am looking for softer tyres for a comfier diving. Will it work to install a bigger tyre on the same r15 - the 205 55 r15 which is 20mm wider - or - the 205 60 r15 which is also 24mm higher? Visually there is plenty of space around stock wheels but I am worried that new tyres would not rub.

You need to keep speedo reading correctly,  and altering the width / sidewall height ratio can affect steering as it alters the circumference of the tyre ( the amount a wheel rolls in one revolution ) - for a comfier ride you are looking at deeper sidewall ( 205/60R15 the middle number is 'aspect ratio of the tyre,  the bigger the number the deeper the sidewall or 'profile' as in high or low profile tyres,  the lowest profiles can be no more than a rubber band on the rim, with hard ride as a consequence )  many people on here (including me ) swapped the standard 185/55R16 tyres on MK2 to a 15" rim and use 175/65R15  to get more 'cushion' of sidewall between rim and road to soften suspension ( the 175 tyre also half the price of 185 and more choice ).

http://www.autopartuk.com/tyre-calculator
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 09:56:23 AM »
If you want soft, try Continental. What I have heard, also Pirelli or Bridgestone might be softer, but I don't have personal experience of those.

In general lower profile provides more precise control and less comfort, and vice versa, higher profile gives less precise but more comfortable ride. Therefore for softer and more comfortable ride I would try 185/65R15.

And what comes to the speedometer error, my Jazz has about 3% error, and the difference in diametre between 185/60R15 and 185/65R15 is also about 3%, hence the speedometer would be just exact with 185/65R15.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:00:35 AM by TnTkr »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 10:41:32 AM »
Your insurance company might not like non-standard wheel/tyre combinations.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »
Wow, sounds very strict! Do they really care about such meaningless details in UK?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »

Look in handbook and on drivers 'B' pillar for homologated tyre sizes and wheel combinations - for MK1  there were two sizes 14 and 15" and on our MK2 there are 185/55R16 and 175/65R15 ( which give same rolling radius.  These are the sizes that can be fitted safely to the car,  and no real reason for insurance company to be interested.  If the sizes you want to fit are different to the ones on tyre information plate then you are best telling insurance,  but they are mainly interested in 'cost to replace' - so it you fit expensive alloys and tyres their ears perk up.... and may well want extra premium.  Why they don't just say in policy they will only pay for original size and spec parts I don't know.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 02:16:21 PM »
Wow, sounds very strict! Do they really care about such meaningless details in UK?
An undisclosed modification would give an insurer a reason to refuse payment on a claim.

Roller

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »
If you want soft, try Continental. What I have heard, also Pirelli or Bridgestone might be softer, but I don't have personal experience of those.
I had once Pirelli, they were really soft thank you!

Roller

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 02:49:26 PM »

An undisclosed modification would give an insurer a reason to refuse payment on a claim.
[/quote]
I will ask them 1st ! - thank you.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 05:13:04 PM »
It can also make a car more desirable to scrotes.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 05:37:04 PM »
I use Michelin Cross Climates : a much softer ride than the original Energy Savers..2012 Jazz.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »
Tha is very strict indeed!

In Finland payment can be refused only if Insurance company can prove it to be reason for accident or driver is drunken. And from legal point of view it is allowed to change tyre size if neither width nor diameter changes not more than 30 mm from the size(s) marked to registration cerificate. Bigger changes must be approved by inspection authorities and then it will be marked to certificate.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 06:55:48 PM »
I think disclosure of any modification is the key factor to avoid arguments.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 07:34:06 PM »
The deeper the profile the beter the ride, just check your handbook to see the options listed under your model spec.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 09:12:40 AM »
Tha is very strict indeed!

In Finland payment can be refused only if Insurance company can prove it to be reason for accident or driver is drunken. And from legal point of view it is allowed to change tyre size if neither width nor diameter changes not more than 30 mm from the size(s) marked to registration cerificate. Bigger changes must be approved by inspection authorities and then it will be marked to certificate.
in Italy the car has a document where there's written OEM tire size and, sometimes, other permitted size. We must have one of them, and Jazz have only the OEM size: I bought the car with 185/55R16', so I can only fit this tire size. If a policeman will stop me for a check and he will discover an incorrect size, I will be fined and my car will not be used until a MOT check with correct tires. And in case of crash, my insurance will not pay.

Back to the post theme, many technical matters say you should not modify the circumference of the wheel (rim+tire), so you cannot use a tire with a higher sidewall. The brake caliper and disc rotor dimensions say yoo cannot use a 14' rim, so you can only find a softer tire, keeping the same dimension of 185/60R15'.
I have a 1.3 Elegance (the italian name of your EX), with 16' rims and OEM Dunlop SP Sport, and I changed them with a set of Continental Ecocontact6, same size 185/55R16'83H: I must say that this set is remarcabily softer than the Dunlops, both in potholes than in handling (and I don't like it, the car lost  precision), so IMHO you can try them...

Tags:

anything