Author Topic: Stupid question on "S" mode on Mk3 VT  (Read 7864 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Stupid question on "S" mode on Mk3 VT
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 08:52:25 PM »
You just need to be a bit more aggressive with the accelerator. The car is designed to be efficient by default and being efficient means not very powerful. If you want to accelerate like a 'normal car' you need to kick the revs above 2,500 rpm. That will cause the engine to operate in the power mode rather than the efficiency mode.
I recall that the engine has only four of the inlet valves open below around 3,000 rpm. This provides better fuel mixing and efficiency but is a bottlenect to performance and hence the other four inlet valves open at around 3,000 rpm and the engine wakes up (I might be wrong about the threshold revs). The Atkinson cycle mode (which doesn't apply to the Jazz Sport) is a further constraint on the low end power to further increase cruising fuel economy.

IIRC in Atkinson ( as opposed to VTEC 12/16 valve operation on non-Atkinson / older VTEC) all the inlet valves open at lower revs but do not close until piston halfway back up stroke ( to lower compression ratio) when in normal mode the inlets close at bottom dead centre, and maybe at higher revs the inlet valves have larger opening gap and remain open longer on intake downstroke to allow easier breathing at high revs.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:55:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 10:37:29 PM »
If you use the paddles in D mode, the drive soon reverts to auto.  I sometimes use them to drop down when going downhill, and it stays in the selected ratio until I touch the accelerator again.  Engine braking is minimal, but old habits die hard.  I expect something similar happens in S, but I don't use it.

Just to finish the sentence...but in S mode it does not revert to auto when you touch the accelerator. It behaves more like a manual change, but will not let you do silly things. Also in S it never reaches the high gearing available in D mode, so never get the lowest revs possible at 70. I think also the paddles only have 5 "ratios" in S mode compared to 7 in D.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2018, 10:41:46 PM »
Glad I've got this sorted out because I intend to use S from time to time.

From 'D' to 'S' you need to use the button but not from 'S' to 'D', just push the lever forward.

I cant check at the moment, but I don't think you need to press the button in either direction.

guest7675

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
If you use the paddles in D mode, the drive soon reverts to auto.  I sometimes use them to drop down when going downhill, and it stays in the selected ratio until I touch the accelerator again.  Engine braking is minimal, but old habits die hard.  I expect something similar happens in S, but I don't use it.

Just to finish the sentence...but in S mode it does not revert to auto when you touch the accelerator. It behaves more like a manual change, but will not let you do silly things. Also in S it never reaches the high gearing available in D mode, so never get the lowest revs possible at 70. I think also the paddles only have 5 "ratios" in S mode compared to 7 in D.

Hi i tried in s mode it does go up to 7 but that would be more on motorway its no good around town although i did try that and you soon have to change down.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »
[I cant check at the moment, but I don't think you need to press the button in either direction.
You don't on the Mk1 CVT but when CVT was reintroduced in the 2011 facelift you then had to operate the button to go from 'D' to 'S'.

Vic.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
Glad I've got this sorted out because I intend to use S from time to time.

From 'D' to 'S' you need to use the button but not from 'S' to 'D', just push the lever forward.

I cant check at the moment, but I don't think you need to press the button in either direction.

I'm wrong! As Vic says, D to S needs button, S to D doesn't. I think I do it without realising.

guest7675

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »
I was making a point of why some test drivers in mags give the jazz a bad rap as said its not a gti like say a peugeot 205 1.6 gti i had years ago that had a hair trigger throttle that car was better than any turbo cars today and the 1.9 gti non cat models were so quick.
I think some modern turbo cars are way better less lag and instant throttle at low revs whereas the honda jazz is a in sport mode a car you have to rev higher up the band which to a newbie having gone from an abarth 195 turbo  would need to adjust to more revs.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2018, 04:52:56 PM »
Oh yeah. The lack of response in Atkinson mode is probably my number one dislike. I mostly avoid it these days but there are still times when I try to move sharply and end up moving like a wet pudding. And at times (like on gentle inclines) it produces a noticeable 'gear change' effect as the engine jumps from ~2,200 to ~2,600 to meet a slight increase in load. I'm driving a freakin' CVT - I should not feel any lurching unless I kick down.

The facelifted 1.3 CVT I drove in February appeared not to have the problem so it's possible that Honda reprogrammed the ECU/CVT to remove the issue. It's a pity they can't back port that to us since it's probably just a firmware upgrade.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:55:50 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2018, 12:39:06 PM »
I was on a deserted motorway early this morning, cruise control, 70 mph. I shifted to sport and all that happened was the engine revs instantly increased by about 1,500. On returning to drive thy slowly dropped back to 2,100 ish rpm. I just wondered what would happen at a steady road speed.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:10:17 PM by Skyrider »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2018, 04:31:00 PM »
I was on a deserted motorway early this morning, cruise control, 70 mph. I shifted to sport and call that happened was the engine revs instantly increased by about 1,500. On returning to drive thy slowly dropped back to 2,100 ish rpm. I just wondered what would happen at a steady road speed.
This is a useful feature when following a 50 mph truck on a twisty A road, waiting for an opportunity to pass.  The response would be quicker than in D.

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »
This may have been mentioned in the thread but if it hasn’t then it might be of interest.

If you are in S mode and use the paddle shifters the car will go into manual shift mode and an “M” will appear on the display - it won’t revert back to auto like it does in D mode - so you are free to gear up and down using paddles. If you want to get back to auto/cvt mode you just hold the + paddle shifter for a few seconds and the “M” will disappear from the display and you are back in auto mode but still in S.

Read it in the manual and tried it whilst utilising S mode frequently recently.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:57:59 AM by JazzyJJ »

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2018, 09:46:33 PM »
I advise if you're in a hurry.use S mode.the gearbox will change up at 6,500 .so you leave that.but braking hard.use the flappy paddle to drop 3.4 or 5 gears
It's great fun.And the Jazz is very quick like this

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Tags: