Author Topic: Stupid question on "S" mode on Mk3 VT  (Read 7816 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Stupid question on "S" mode on Mk3 VT
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »
Glad I've got this sorted out because I intend to use S from time to time.

From 'D' to 'S' you need to use the button but not from 'S' to 'D', just push the lever forward.You do not need to close the throttle while going in either direction.
'S' is very useful, obviously for overtaking, but also for joining a road from a side road and navigating roundabouts for instance.
When you select 'S' the revs will rise by about 1000 and the car will become more responsive. When you open the throttle the revs will rise more readily with a corresponding increase in engine noise. Don't worry the engine will not blow up, the red line on the rev counter doesn't start until 6500.
I use 'S' regularly and still return 48mpg.

Vic.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »

From 'D' to 'S' you need to use the button but not from 'S' to 'D', just push the lever forward.You do not need to close the throttle while going in either direction.
'S' is very useful, obviously for overtaking, but also for joining a road from a side road and navigating roundabouts for instance.
When you select 'S' the revs will rise by about 1000 and the car will become more responsive. When you open the throttle the revs will rise more readily with a corresponding increase in engine noise. Don't worry the engine will not blow up, the red line on the rev counter doesn't start until 6500.

Vic.

Indeed. I think I will be using it when joining fast moving traffic on a motorway. Another use might be bendy country roads?

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 06:58:54 PM »
Indeed. I think I will be using it when joining fast moving traffic on a motorway. Another use might be bendy country roads?
It adds a bit of fun and control on bendy country roads but I haven't needed to use it very much. I find that simply pressing the accelerator right to the bottom is enough. In case you haven't found it yet the CVT version at least has a 'click' at the bottom of the pedal travel. No-one is sure quite what it's supposed to do but it seems to open up the very best the engine can give. I don't know if it's on the face-lifted version but if you haven't noticed it you might want to check that you aren't somehow catching your shoe on the carpet and not getting the full pedal travel.

Lol23

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 EX I-Shift 2009
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »
Andurek

I think you will find the Button as you call it is a kick down switch, when you press it it drops into a lower gear giving you an extra boost.
Taffy59

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 10:59:25 PM »
I think the button Andurec is referring to is the interlock on the gear shift lever, it only stops unintended changes that could damage the transmission. There is a detent near the bottom of the accelerator pedal, this is not a kickdown, by the time you get the accelerator to the stop the CVT has done its ratio change, it just gives full power from the engine. I would call it an economy stop.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 11:12:55 PM »
When using S
It changes up at the red line
Great when your having fun
Glad I've got this sorted out because I intend to use S from time to time.

Vic.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 07:41:59 AM »
I think the button Andurec is referring to is the interlock on the gear shift lever, it only stops unintended changes that could damage the transmission. There is a detent near the bottom of the accelerator pedal, this is not a kickdown, by the time you get the accelerator to the stop the CVT has done its ratio change, it just gives full power from the engine. I would call it an economy stop.
No, I'm referring to a click at the end of the travel of the accelerator pedal. That's why I wrote:

'the CVT version at least has a 'click' at the bottom of the pedal travel'.

I don't think it's a kick-down button because the manual makes no mention of that and the gearbox will kick down quite readily without pressing past that click. Like you I think it seems more likely to be some kind of 'turbo' (or as you suggest 'eco protect') notch. A way to tell the car 'I really mean it, this time' :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:44:35 AM by andruec »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 07:45:31 AM »
Andurek

I think you will find the Button as you call it is a kick down switch, when you press it it drops into a lower gear giving you an extra boost.
Taffy59
I didn't refer to it as a button.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 08:54:57 AM »

I don't think it's a kick-down button because the manual makes no mention of that and the gearbox will kick down quite readily without pressing past that click. Like you I think it seems more likely to be some kind of 'turbo' (or as you suggest 'eco protect') notch. A way to tell the car 'I really mean it, this time' :)

The manual also has this at the bottom of the pedal travel.  It is used to override the speed limiter.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 10:24:08 AM »

The manual also has this at the bottom of the pedal travel.  It is used to override the speed limiter.

When I want to really move, say overtaking a long artic on a normal road I change to sport, hit the throttle hard then when the revs build, lift off slightly then hit the throttle hard again. The seems to get the max power from the engine.

Most days I'm just drifting down the road at low revs in Atkinson engine mode. I really like this dual mode of driving, it reminds me of half race cams in the old days without the disadvantage of being off the cam and the engine feeling rough.

guest7675

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 12:20:40 PM »
Hi my new honda jazz sport cvt i have not driven much yet due to my disability but what i did notice which i will have to get used to was how sluggish it was in d mode holy moly and had to go straight to sport mode which is better but i think its due to cars i had before which were turbo the abarth 145 mta and a skoda fabia vrs estate dsg so i may have been spoiled now that maybe why so many car tests give the jazz a hard time.
Now over time i hope to re educate myself to this car as i needed it for carrying my mobility scooter which i have a hoist in the boot and it fits in very good so im well happy.
The thing is in the turbo cars i had when you touch the throttle its like a rocket taking off so if you had the jazz in manual or cvt side by side and came from the turbo into the jazz you would feel like its so sluggish.

guest7675

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 12:23:24 PM »
Hi my new honda jazz sport cvt i have not driven much yet due to my disability but what i did notice which i will have to get used to was how sluggish it was in d mode holy moly and had to go straight to sport mode which is better but i think its due to cars i had before which were turbo the abarth 145 mta and a skoda fabia vrs estate dsg so i may have been spoiled now that maybe why so many car tests give the jazz a hard time.
Now over time i hope to re educate myself to this car as i needed it for carrying my mobility scooter which i have a hoist in the boot and it fits in very good so im well happy.
The thing is in the turbo cars i had when you touch the throttle its like a rocket taking off so if you had the jazz in manual or cvt side by side and came from the turbo into the jazz you would feel like its so sluggish.

To Ad not everyone wants or needs to get to 0-60 in 7 sec or less and with the roads as they are the honda i think will be so relaxing to drive. mind you the 1.5 honda civic turbo would have been good in the jazz.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 01:24:15 PM »

To Ad not everyone wants or needs to get to 0-60 in 7 sec or less and with the roads as they are the honda i think will be so relaxing to drive. mind you the 1.5 honda civic turbo would have been good in the jazz.

Try 0 -60 in 3.1 seconds on my Suzuki ( and 0-100 in 8.5 sec) :o the only thing to worry about is a Tesla  :-X (unless driver already has range anxiety and does not want to risk flattening the battery).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:44:26 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
how sluggish it was in d mode holy moly
You just need to be a bit more aggressive with the accelerator. The car is designed to be efficient by default and being efficient means not very powerful. If you want to accelerate like a 'normal car' you need to kick the revs above 2,500 rpm. That will cause the engine to operate in the power mode rather than the efficiency mode. That doesn't mean you have to floor the accelerator but you will have to move it quite sharply downward about 50% of the way. If you barely tickle the accelerator the engine will assume you're happy to dribble along and will leave the engine in 'dribbling along' mode.

Tell the car what you want and it will do it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:27:23 PM by andruec »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 08:36:32 PM »
You just need to be a bit more aggressive with the accelerator. The car is designed to be efficient by default and being efficient means not very powerful. If you want to accelerate like a 'normal car' you need to kick the revs above 2,500 rpm. That will cause the engine to operate in the power mode rather than the efficiency mode.
I recall that the engine has only four of the inlet valves open below around 3,000 rpm. This provides better fuel mixing and efficiency but is a bottlenect to performance and hence the other four inlet valves open at around 3,000 rpm and the engine wakes up (I might be wrong about the threshold revs). The Atkinson cycle mode (which doesn't apply to the Jazz Sport) is a further constraint on the low end power to further increase cruising fuel economy.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything