Author Topic: Starting problem  (Read 1113 times)

JazzTM

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3SE
Starting problem
« on: February 09, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has had the same problem starting their Mark 3 that I have experienced in the last few days with my two year old manual Jazz. Three times in a 24 hour period when I've turned the ignition key to the first position all the warning lights have come on but then when turning it to the starting position nothing has happened. The engine makes no attempt to turn and there is no sound at all. On the fourth attempt the engine starts normally and the car runs fine. I have tried to speak to my dealer about it but have only been able to book it in for them to look into the issue.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
Re: Starting problem
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 08:44:31 PM »
i had this problem with a polo a long time ago the AA man took the cowl off around the steering wheel and messed about with some wires near the battery too and it worked and never came back

never had the no start like that with any other car including my jazz

prob just a loose connection either in the key area or the wires on top of the battery or the starter solonoid

the dealer should find it no problem
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 08:46:19 PM by monkeydave »

Stanski

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 SE, 2015, Burst Red
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 09:58:37 AM »
I am wondering if anyone has had the same problem starting their Mark 3 that I have experienced in the last few days with my two year old manual Jazz. Three times in a 24 hour period when I've turned the ignition key to the first position all the warning lights have come on but then when turning it to the starting position nothing has happened. The engine makes no attempt to turn and there is no sound at all. On the fourth attempt the engine starts normally and the car runs fine. I have tried to speak to my dealer about it but have only been able to book it in for them to look into the issue.

HISTORY
Have just experienced same issue, started 3 weeks ago for no obvious reason.  Usually after the third turn of the key it will start. 

On first time happening friendly shopper jumped car battery and it started OK. Worked fine for rest of day
On second time took three attempts to turn ignition and then started.
After initial inspection (see below), Good for 3 weeks then 3rd time occurence.
Note:
Only oddity discovered is that electric radiator fan is on when ignition key turned to first position when car is cold. Have not researched of investigated this anomoly
INITIAL PLAN
Check battery
Check starter motor connections
Check Clutch Switch
Check Ign Switch
then wiring
INITIAL CHECKS

Battery - 4yrs old so maybe dodgy - measured 12.8V, dropped to 12.4 when headlights switched on, Accepted to be OK Also as all display lights function inside when starting no reason to doubt it.

Starter positioned at front of engine so accessed from above
Starter wire connection - not able to see actual connector but by feel moved the connector sideways and back and fro in attempt to ensure it was cleaning the metal so a good contact was hopefully made.
Initial check of clutch switch indicates it is OK,
Could still be a bad earth or joint but did not want to take apart car at this time.

Clutch switch - how did it function - was it make when activated or break the circuit?
Clutch switch is metal construction with 2 pins and secured by 14mm nut on metal flange.  Switch movement was good and when depressed switch made (shorted). Assume this is correct function and refitted.

Ignition switch - did not investigate as complex to access also car started every time which suggested fault may have been cured.

3 WEEKS LATER
Starting failed in car park - not present - wife in car said waited a couple of minutes to try again, no go - waited a minute then started.- car home for another inspection.
Will report back when I can

To the ORIGINAL POSTER
Did you resolve your problem and what was diagnosis?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 10:28:19 AM »
Sounds like the fan relay may be stuck. Easy to replace. If the car has been lying for a few days it is a good idea to turn on the ignition then wait a few seconds to allow the fuel to prime.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 10:48:06 AM »
Just to be clear, are we talking about spinning over but not starting, or like the OP, completely dead with no attempt to start?

These intermittent issues can be a real pain to find, there are so many possible causes for a non starter. What I would say is that weak batteries on these Jazzes do make them exhibit some peculiar and often random symptoms, so I may be worth getting the battery tested - especially as a jump has previously got you out of trouble. Obviously, check all the alternator/starter wiring, earth straps - battery to body, body to gearbox, etc., you may just have disturbed something.

Does the clutch normally throw up a message on the dash if it's not depressed? Does the non-start behave exactly as though the clutch isn't depressed?

I had this problem on a Ford, exactly the same symptoms. Car wouldn't start for the other half, got a friend to tow me the couple of miles home and the damn thing started after pulling it up the driveway. Fortunately, it was a well known problem where the main power relay develops dry joints, and can be fixed by repairing or replacing the relay.

It's a bit of a tenuous link, but there is a point to this anecdote - In that case, the immobiliser indicated a fault by flashing the door led rapidly, but a fault code was stored in the immobiliser ECU memory - so if you can't bottom it, it may be worth getting a full diagnostic by someone with access to Honda HDS, see if there are any stored codes anywhere.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »
If it's turning but not starting could this be the fuel cutoff inertia switch ?

I know this is a prime candidate on the 2006 - 2011 Civics. The switch can easily be triggered by a not too harsh bang on the dash side.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything