Author Topic: Engine oil levels  (Read 16658 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Engine oil levels
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 04:35:14 PM »
I quite happily tip the whole 4 litre of oil in and use the empty container to keep the old oil in until I go to recycling depot.

It's funny you should say that, when I serviced the Jazz last year, I used sealed 1L bottles... and it took every drop of 4 bottles to fill it up to the line with a new filter. Either ours takes 4 litres and Mr Haynes is wrong, or I got diddled with the oil!

I must pay more attention this time, it's coming out of a 20L, and I'm going to measure it.  :-X

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 04:42:22 PM »
I suspect the sensor story was a bit of the old flannel  ;)
Is that the old flannel they use to wipe the dipstick?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 04:48:26 PM »
Either ours takes 4 litres and Mr Haynes is wrong, or I got diddled with the oil!
Mr Honda as well. According to the manual, supplied with the car:
Engine oil change capacity
(including filter):
3.6 L (3.8 US qt , 3.2 Imp qt).

Mind you, the last time I changed my own oil it took about half an hour before the level finally reached the highest point!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 05:54:18 PM »
Funny you should mention old flannel - we just bought some new fitted sheets for beds and I tore the old cotton ones into about 2 foot square pieces to use as cleaning cloths.  Well my windscreen has never been so clean, I was never convinced by those microfibre  ones they sell, they never seemed much good but the proper cotton ones are great. Maybe for waxing and polishing paint the microfibre are OK, but for windows the cotton seem better.

They recommend with Fenwicks caravan window cleaning paste ( I have used in the past for cloudy headlights ) to use cotton cloth, I first tried microfibre cloth and it did not work properly until I used a cotton cloth and then t was so much easier and quicker.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »
As a result of this thread I decided to check my oil for the first time since I bought the car 3 years ago.  I was surprised to find the dipstick handle at the top of the engine, but of course it turns out to be a very long stick!  I did it according to the book, hot engine, level ground, 3 minutes, wipe the stick etc, but I found it quite difficult to see the level.  The oil was changed only 3 months ago, so is quite clean.  Anyway, I don't think it was above the top mark, and I don't suppose I'll ever check it again unless a warning light appears.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 12:25:30 PM »
I don't suppose I'll ever check it again unless a warning light appears.

It's a good idea to check it now and again - when the oil pressure light comes on, it's too late!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 03:03:22 PM »
I check mine about once a month or so. Same time as I check the other fluid levels and top up the screen jet reservoir (probably gets checked more often in winter than summer, especially since oil gets changed at the service in July).

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 07:03:44 PM »
Hi, just had the car serviced by Honda dealer, they have put the oil level at the top of the orange plastic which is a little high, wondering whether this would put a strain on the gaskets and whether I need to go back and get them to drain some off, this is not the first time dealers have done this to my jazzes, would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
I have just checked the oil level today as I went to the dealer to take some out and found that level is exactly the same and keep me waiting half an hour too. Spoke to service manager this morning to check what the receptionist was saying about a sensor there if overfilled, manager had never heard of this and my own view is that I got told wrong info. There is 1 litre difference between min and max levels, reckoned mine was 0.2 litre over max, told it would definitely be ok so have decided to leave it.
Rang Honda to check if there was a sensor, told you will need to speak to the dealer if tech info needed, hang on, don’t they make the car !!!
The dealership confirmed that there was not an overfill sensor so basically got lied to, this is unacceptable and no wonder people lose confidence in dealerships. There is another dealership about 10 miles away so may think about taking it there next time as have a service plan.  This other garage is part of the same group. It is a much smaller dealership...I hate being lied to.   

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 08:56:53 PM »
I hate being lied to.

Not great is it, but it seems to be the way of the world now.

I always worked on the principle that if you can't tell the truth, keep your cake hole shut.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2019, 09:06:31 PM »
I hate being lied to.

I always worked on the principle that if you can't tell the truth, keep your cake hole shut.

We have a terrible skills shortage in UK, basically the people in car dealers were probably selling double glazing the week before and now they are car experts.  People used to go into garages because they were interested in cars and had helped their dad fix their cars, but now not many people even know what goes on under the bonnet, and unless they can get a code on their reader they scratch their heads at even basic problems.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019, 09:54:05 PM »
I, like many here, started out with old, clapped out, 1950's cars. You had to learn how to fix them, often at the side of the road. New motorists today have little idea of how a car works, and even us who do, can do little when it breaks down, unless the fault is obvious. Too much electronics to do much these days.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 12:06:48 AM »
I hate being lied to.

We have a terrible skills shortage in UK, basically the people in car dealers were probably selling double glazing the week before and now they are car experts.  People used to go into garages because they were interested in cars and had helped their dad fix their cars, but now not many people even know what goes on under the bonnet, and unless they can get a code on their reader they scratch their heads at even basic problems.

Where to begin. Probably best not to. But I will say this. Ingenuity is a quality I have long associated with the history of this country and it is being slowly strangled by the day for a host of reasons.

FredS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 jazz EX Navi manual
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2019, 12:01:39 PM »
Just carried out a under bonnet check on a 2008 VW polo and noticed this wording on oil filler cap:
To avoid damage to catalytic converter oil must not exceed maximum mark

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2019, 09:42:24 PM »
Just carried out a under bonnet check on a 2008 VW polo and noticed this wording on oil filler cap:
To avoid damage to catalytic converter oil must not exceed maximum mark
Interesting, never seen that before.   

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »
Makes sense though. An engine burning oil fouls up the cat and overfilling the sump can lead to oil being burnt.

Tags: