Author Topic: Accident with uninsured driver.  (Read 19148 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Accident with uninsured driver.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 06:45:22 PM »
The DVLA (for a fee) have told me the name and address of the other driver. I went to the house to see if the car was on the driveway (1960s/70s style semi-detached houses with short driveways so it would be easy to take photos discreetly from the pavement!). No sign of the car and the house is up for sale. I looked up the estate agent's website and the photos of the inside show no furniture, suggesting the property is empty.

guest2915

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »
Any further news on this, Richard?

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 08:28:25 PM »
I've found the offending vehicle up for sale and have passed the information onto the Police and the MIB who are both investigating it further.

At present the case is being considered for prosecution over the registered keeper failing to name the driver.

guest2915

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »
That is something positive at least. Let's hope they decide to prosecute  ;)

guest2898

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »
Yes, lets hope he does face prosecution, he needs to....

guest1583

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »
Good luck if you have a prang with an un-insured driver - my brother has been twice hit by un-insured drivers (he lives in Wolverhampton - i will leave it up to you to guess nationality of un-insured drivers involved).  In one of these events the father (not insured for the vehicle) was driving but later the son (insured) insisted that he was in fact driving at the time - the police got nowhere / didn't seem interested and nothing happened.

Oh theres no place for a racist comment here...

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »
In one of these events the father (not insured for the vehicle) was driving but later the son (insured)...

Sounds a bit like the hit and run I had last year. I used to see the car being driven around afterwards by an older guy (obviously the father) to one who was driving at the time. Makes me wonder if the son was driving his father's (insured) vehicle without being on the policy. Whatever, they coughed up when my insurer served court proceedings on him after three months of them denying any knowledge of the collision. Perhaps if it went to court and I identified the driver it all may have come out so they took the lesser of the two evils.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 04:33:06 PM »
The MIB have paid out for my excess but as they can't recover the costs from the other driver it has to go down as a fault claim.

My NCB is protected but you are only allowed a certain number of claims in a set period.

guest2765

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
ouch, this sounds horrible, i dread it happening, ive spoken to a lady i was involved in an accident with she told me round where she lives she has had a few drivers hit her car and drive off, later turning out to be uninsured. So far ive been lucky enough to only be involved with 1 accident and she was insured. Nearly been in plenty of accidents due to idiots not looking where they are going (good thing my brakes are so good)..nearly had a few people smash into the side of my car at junctions, smash into the back of it undertaking people in town (stupid idea in the first place), and the latest..nearly been run off the road by busses. Hopefully uninsured drivers dont add to my near accidents as for every near accident it brings me closer to an actual accident.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 02:45:56 PM »
The other driver failed to turn up at court twice in the last month and is now to be served with a summons to apear next month. He has been charged with failure to name the driver, failure to report and failure to report/give details.

guest2765

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
The other driver failed to turn up at court twice in the last month and is now to be served with a summons to apear next month. He has been charged with failure to name the driver, failure to report and failure to report/give details.

good sounds like he will get what he deserves...

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
Case is to be dropped as the Police can't trace him. Looks like he used a false name aswell?

They also said his car has been scrapped - it stopped appearing on the DVLA free vehicle enquiry site back in mid-November. If he doesn't live at the address held by the DVLA he can't have the V5C, but it appears you can scrap a car without it!

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »
My BMW was written off by an uninsured driver about 2 months ago while I was stationary at traffic lights.  Not only was the lorry uninsured, it had no road licence, the driver himself did not have a driving licence of any sort and the lorry was unroadworthy with no brakes and defective steering.

Although the driver got arrested on the spot (after trying to run away) he has no money at all and cannot contribute to the cost of 3 cars he destroyed.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest2765

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 08:06:08 AM »
argh I hate uninsured drivers, its illegal to drive in Scotland without insurance (unsure about the rest of the UK). So if I ever get hit by someone who drives away Ill be writing down the numberplate and reporting the incidence to the police as well as my insurance company (wont bother chasing them tbh waste of my time when I can just ask the police to track them and insurance details if they have insurance, if not its a jail term and hefty fine as far as I remember and hopefully costs of the cars repair covered)

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »
Illegal to drive without insurance in the rest of the UK too.

The Police will just send a letter to the registered keeper. If they tell lies and says they know nothing about the accident the Police will probably drop it with no further action unless there are injuries. They may take them to court for failing to name the driver if the RK doesn't respond to the letters but forgot it a false name/address was used to register the vehicle.

Tags: