Author Topic: 2002 Jazz 1.4 - Pagid discs & pads too thick!  (Read 2028 times)

guest5562

2002 Jazz 1.4 - Pagid discs & pads too thick!
« on: July 28, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »
Just bought new Pagid discs and pads from Eurocarparts for the front.

Job going fine until I tried to get the caliper over the new pads... the combination of disc, pads & 3 anti-squeal shims is too thick to get the caliper on. It's not that the piston isn't far enough back... the casting itself is binding. Well I say it won't go on... it will hammer on but obviously the brakes will be rubbing.

I've checked out and I have the correct parts & there are no fitting errors. The only thing I can think is that.... there is a thick shim on the back of either old pad and an extra thin one on the inner pad. Haynes says to refit these 3 but I wonder if they aren't needed or expected to be fitted with the Pagid pads so the pads themselves are a little thicker. If I leave off the two thicker shims it will all fit OK. So that's what I'll do and then see if they'll fit in a few weeks when its all bedded in.

Wonder if anyone's fitted Pagid and been OK or seen the problem?

guest5562

• Topic Starter
Re: 2002 Jazz 1.4 - Pagid discs & pads too thick!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
Well sorted now.

It seems there is no doubt Pagid didn't expect the thicker pair of anti-squeal shims to be re-fitted from the old pads so have dimensioned their thickness to take up the whole space available. Their disc was the correct 21mm thickness so no error there.

I have re-fitted the thin anti-squeal shim that's on the piston side and that fits in fine.

Brakes work fine and no squeal but I have saved the old shims in case squeal starts and I can re-fit them when a little wear gives some clearance.

I see Pagid have started to paint their discs (silver) since I last fitted a pair so they should look better through the alloys for longer than unpainted.

Tags: