Author Topic: honda jazz aircon  (Read 806 times)

mwsharp

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz1.4i-vtec esplus 5 doorcvt petrol hatchback 2013
honda jazz aircon
« on: August 13, 2022, 08:47:50 PM »
when driving my car and using aircon on days with high ambient temperature ie above 28`c
aircon works perfectly when on open road with lots of rammed air ,but when in town stopped at lights or in traffic, there is a knock and aircon blows hot air.
i pulled over and checked under bonnet ,there is quite a loud knock and rad fans switch on for about 3 secs
another knock and they stop 4 or 5 secs a knock and they come on again and keeps happening till i get some rammed air through the rad and condenser.
the problem only occurs on very hot days at other times aircon works normally
honda dealer checked car and found no fault , but it was a cooler day
any ideas how to cure?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: honda jazz aircon
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 10:24:12 PM »
I'm guessing the knock you hear is the aircon compressor clutching in/out. When clutched in the fan also runs via an electrical switch/relay (at least below a certain road speed, I don't know about your car specifically, possibly it runs all the time the clutch is in). When the clutch releases (with a clonk) the compressor stops and the fan will also stop.
The compressor will run until a certain system pressure is reached, then clutch out and the system pressure will gradually drop as the refrigerant is expanded and cools. The hotter the ambient the faster the cycling tends to be and the more time the compressor needs to run.
It could be that your system is a bit low on refrigerant and is cycling too quickly, and needs a re-gas.
If it works acceptably at slightly lower ambient temp then you may decide to live with it for a bit, otherwise see about a re-gas.

Just a guess from your description, I may be totally wrong.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:25:58 PM by embee »

ssashton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 11:09:40 PM »
Agree this is normal air-con behaviour, except the blowing of warm air. I do notice the air get cooler when the compressor kicks in and slightly warmer after it kicks out, but not warm like when the aircon is off.

Do get a regas at a garage with a proper machine. Ask them to run a leak-down test before re-gas. (Standad practice for a proper aircon re-gas machine).

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 06:41:51 AM »
Also check your cabin air filter has been changed. If this is clogged it might need more 'rammed air'  input.

Less likely  but easy to check  is that  the cooling fins on your condenser radiator have not been flattened, for instance by a pressure washer. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything